Favorite "Worst band name" you've ever had?

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by OzzPocket, May 17, 2021.

1. OzzPocket

OzzPocket Synchromatic

Aug 11, 2020
    NYS
    So, what's your favorite "Worst band name" you've been affiliated with?

In my college days, one group I was part of for a brief period, decided, in our infinite, youthful wisdom, on the name "This Food Sucks!" (With the exclamation point)

Why? Because a couple of the local bars (who also served bar-food) would put the upcoming weekend's band on a sign out front with either "THIS WEEKEND" or "TONIGHT" with the group under it..... and we all thought it hilarious to see "TONIGHT...This Food Sucks!"

We would see that and laugh, every time.....the owner of the main place didn't think it was quite as humorous as we did....but he was an extremely cool guy, and let it slide, always with a smile...and he always paid us. ;-)

Unfortunately, that group didn't last long....but...a classic name, nevertheless....

loudnlousy, Xochi2, Stefan87 and 8 others like this.
  2. LongJohn

LongJohn Synchromatic

Apr 22, 2016
    Queens, NY
    Played one summer in a band called The Gents, we always seemed to have a room with our name on the door. :oops:

3. Scott Fraser

Scott Fraser Country Gent

Jan 14, 2012
    Los Angeles
    That reminds me of the name used by quite a number of young bands, for exactly the same reason, because on the marquee it would say something like "Joe's Bar . . .featuring tonight . . .Free Beer".

4. MrWookiee

MrWookiee Synchromatic

Jun 17, 2020
    SoCal, USA
    In my college daze a friend was exposing me to Iron Maiden specifically, and Metal in general. We were nursing our beers, and I asked something like, "If 'Zeppelin fans are called Zep Heads, and Judas Priest fans are called Priest Heads, what are Iron Maiden fans called?" ('Irons', I later learned). This led to a lengthy, beer-fueled discussion culminating in the conclusion that <something I can't repeat in polite company> would be a good name for a Metal band. In retrospect, it was only funny when we were drunk.

blueruins and NJDevil like this.
  5. stiv

stiv Country Gent

Sep 12, 2014
    Firenze, Italy
    My first rockabilly band ever was named The Hopfrogs.
    Which was not bad per se, only I hated it because it didn't have nothing to do with the 50s culture. :)
    But our then singer was deep into Edgar Allan Poe, so he got his chance.
    Then he left, I became the singer and the band was renamed Eddie's Gun. :D

michelb and JeffreyLeePierre like this.
  6. juks

juks Synchromatic

Nov 26, 2020
    Fremont, California
    The band we had when I worked in Germany. I guess for Britts the word isn't bad as we had 3 of them in the band. We all worked for HP, so the name was an anagram of HP users: Pushers. Our US colleagues said we possibly can not call the band that. Germans didn't mind. :)

MrWookiee likes this.
  7. michelb

michelb Synchromatic

Mar 27, 2020
    Belgium
    "de Losse Tegels": dutch and translates to "the Loose Tiles", punk/ska band.

Stefan87 and MotorCentaur like this.
  8. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    Ha, well that's me on the left there.
    We played for like a year before we did this one show where they put the easel up at the entrance and they had highlighted the first letter of every word. From a distance all you could see was CRAP......

IMG_8950.jpg

9. Londoner

Londoner Gretschie

Dec 18, 2020
    UK
    I once turned down the offer of joining a band called 'Cucumber Castle'.
    I just thought it sounded weird.

Then about 5 years ago, three of us got together to play at a 'music pub' gig.
    We didn't have a name, so when we turned up to do the gig, found the pub was packed inside with posters in the windows announcing "Tonight, Super group"!

Last edited: May 18, 2021
    loudnlousy likes this.
  10. lathoto

lathoto Synchromatic

Apr 23, 2020
    Ohio
    Fannum Payne and the Kmart Hillbillies. Our flopped single was "Tell Me Where it Hurts." The B side was the now obscure "Blue Light Special."

toddfan, new6659 and MrWookiee like this.
  11. When we first played out a local dive bar let us in. Gave us the calandra book and said fill in what you want. So we filled in every saturday, and Tuesday and Thursday for a few months. At first we were called Jerrys Kids, as a twist on some of the Dead covers we played. What we didn’t know was a band out of the north east was called that as well, and one night a bunch of fans that were in town from boston saw the add and came in. They were disappointed we didnt play the thrash metal their Jerrys Kids played. We also eventually got wind that folks thought we were mocking Jerry Lewis’s kids, which we were not, and we never though of it until it came up.

With so many gigs at the same place, and Jerrys kids no holding up as well as expected, we had a few other names. One week we got snowed in. No one was going anywhere as the area was blanketed in snow for some time. So we called ourselves Cabin Fever for a show. Then there was the highlight of Yer Mom. The poster said come spend a night with Yer Mom. We thought it was funny at the time. Eventually we shifted to a blues based band and called ourselves Muddy Wolf. That didnt last too long, because even though its obvious to most blues fans, we had to explain the name way too often.

As time went by and i met my wife/singer/writer, she came up with FreddyFingers. I never really cared for it as it sounds silly and no one is sure what its about. I had hoped it had something to do with the spectacular way my shoe perceived my hands and such, but it was more about the ability to use the fingers on a multitude of instruments. They would go out and come back with something off the beaten path and ask me if i could play That, which normally i could figure out something in a few moments. She thought it meant i was gifted on playing music. But in reality, if you have the smallest amounts of music in you, you can bang out a few notes or chords on almost any instrument if you apply that’s knowledge. It includes accordions, harps, mandolins, banjos, sax, harmonicas, and others whose names i forget. So, as for now, I am stuck with that name.

JeffreyLeePierre and MrWookiee like this.
  12. Londoner

Londoner Gretschie

Dec 18, 2020
    UK
    We had a Freddie Fingers in the UK too!

thunder58 likes this.
  13. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Golden River .... I'll just leave that one right there

14. Great. One less place i can gig.

blueruins and MrWookiee like this.
  15. LongJohn

LongJohn Synchromatic

Apr 22, 2016
    Queens, NY
    Great minds think alike ?

16. Lockupyourfatdog

Lockupyourfatdog Synchromatic

Aug 8, 2016
    Everett wa
    The old band I was in was called Turd Ferguson and the Skids! But I think it’s a pretty cool name

17. swivel

swivel Country Gent

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    The "No Tell Hotel Lobby Band". We played one gig and the owner stiffed us on pay.

In the 70's a management company got ahold of us, they were trying to make our "Marshall Stack playing hardcore rock band" (Hendrix, Cream, Zep, Grand Funk etc) into a lounge act. They renamed us "Born Free". We had ruffled vest polyester jumpsuits! NO... REALLY! OMG :mad::(

new6659, OzzPocket and MotorCentaur like this.
  18. Back in Black

Back in Black Country Gent

Jun 22, 2020
    Ontario Canada

OP,

Way back in the 60's, there was an NYC ''Village'' band, called the ''Fugs''...off the wall, vulgar, but like most things, they had their following.

I also think that one guy called ''The Weekend'' is a little strange, but hey, he's raking it in...$$$$.

''Beatles''...how strange was that...where would they have gone if it had been ''The Roaches''?

BIB.

OzzPocket and MotorCentaur like this.
  19. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Not mine, but, a group of Notre Dame students had a band called "Captain Electric and the Flying Lapels". They had to go with "Lapels" because "Buttresses" wouldn't fit on the bass drum head.

Bob Perrone likes this.
  20. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    I briefly play in a band called, "Foxey Satch and the Heartbreakers" and yes, it predated Tom Petty's fame.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.