favorite thing about the 5120?

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by rosemary, Dec 23, 2010.

1. rosemary

rosemary Synchromatic

Oct 12, 2008
    pasadena
    not the 5120 as compared to a 6120 or 6118 or tenny etc etc. just what you like about the 5120 model itself.

i just went into guitar center today (or pretty purgatory since im broke) and played one of the 5120s they had in stock against the swingster they had and the ibanez AF75TDG. now i really dug the look and feel of those two other guitars, but in terms of overall comfort and tonal richness the 5120 beat them all. i'd have to say that my favorite thing is the tone of it when playing on the high frets.

i know this post is pretty similar to manyyyyy others lol, but most discussions concerning the 5120 seem centered on making them pass as proline. and while i dig the proline, i don't feel im missing much with my 5120. i love it for what it is. any thoughts?..

2. Drewgrass

Drewgrass Country Gent

Dec 20, 2009
    Teesside ENGLAND
    Yeah I'm with you, I love it as it is.
    Never considered changing anything except the strings. ;)
    Hard to say what I love about it. I can say that there's nothing I don't really like about it.

3. Chaz

Chaz Gretschie

Sep 27, 2008
    Oregon Coast
    Definitely the Neck profile. Nice "D" shape. Fits my hand nicely.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2010
  4. Thunderball

Thunderball Synchromatic

Oct 2, 2009
    New York
    The fact that it is not a ProLine is the thing I like most about it. That fact gives me the freedom to do whatever the hell I want to it. I sure as hell wouldn't put these absurd cosmetic mods onto my Falcon:

[​IMG]

5. mr coffee

mr coffee Country Gent

Oct 7, 2009
    Houston
    I like the fact that it's entirely unlike any of my other guitars.

-m

6. rickvox

rickvox Gretschie

Aug 28, 2009
    Milwaukee ,WI
    The things I love about a 5120

Hi ,Number 1, I could afford one. Number 2 , It played great right out of the box. Number 3, It sounded great. Number 4 with the money I saved buying it I could hop it up with TV Jones pickups and still afford to do it. Number 5,I play it all the time , it is my favoriate guitar ,and I have owned a lot of them. Because it plays and sounds so good not to mention its looks It allows me to concentrate on learning to play better and being confident when I play out in my band because I know the guitar is up to it so I try harder.

7. rosemary

rosemary Synchromatic

Oct 12, 2008
    pasadena
    nice responses guys please keep em' comin' :)

i must admit that my 5120 is anything but stock. also i intially thought of making it into a lil tenny wannabe, but as i grew more accustomed to the guitar and learned more about it's individual character i really just began to value it for what it was. it has tv jones pickups, a painted pickguard, and faux binding on the f-holes, but now instead of thinking of it as a tenny jr, i see it more as a rosemary original.. and i loveeee it!! lol

8. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    just joined the forum 2 minutes ago lol . love my 5120 , had a schaller roller bridge put on and was the smartest thing i did .

9. 54Memphis

54Memphis Former Member

Apr 20, 2010
    West Germany, shores of the Rhine
    The g5120 is IMHO an instrument with the best price-performance ratio
    on the market.
    and it has the best modification abilities. That´s what I like on it.

10. beep.click

beep.click Country Gent

Apr 30, 2009
    California
  11. patrickjcrum

patrickjcrum Gretschie

Nov 4, 2008
    Ohio
    Mine's far from stock as well, but beneath all the mods, it's still a 5120 and I love it.
    I love the neck- the scale length, back profile. frets, etc. the only thing that would make it better would be if it had a compound radius like my strat does.

What really sold me on it was it's acoustics. compared to all the other big name "budget" hollowbodies, it just sings. I also love the control layout, especially the location of the master volume and switches. Ever notice how the ibanez ones put the selector switch under the bigsby? What's up with that? :confused:

Cheers!

12. OpenMike1963

OpenMike1963 Country Gent

Mar 30, 2009
    Alexandria, Virginia
    I like the name "ELECTROMATIC". Its so appropriately retro!
    I love the big-box style, size and relatively light weight of the body.
    I love the Bigsby - my only vibrato guitar.
    I love its sound acoustically, as well as amplified (even though I've changed the pickups to GFS Dream 180s, coil-tapped).
    I like the strap knobs (ever since I tightened the knobs to the screws properly).
    I love the fact that there is a web site for guitar geeks with tastes similar to mine.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Gretsch Electromatic g5120 ROCKS!

13. rosemary

rosemary Synchromatic

Oct 12, 2008
    pasadena
    us geeks have to stick together :) that's a gorgeous geetar btw

14. rosemary

rosemary Synchromatic

Oct 12, 2008
    pasadena
    yeah that's always been strange to me too...kinda a guitar faux pas

15. Roosto

Roosto Gretschie

Yeah, the neck... Hadn't thought of that, but it is so true. The 5120 is just very cool to have, play, look at, listen to. I feel some kind of heritage thing going on, too.

16. desertfox4

desertfox4 Synchromatic

Aug 19, 2010
    Cottonwood, AZ.
    The quality for the price point was #1 with me. I felt I was getting more guitar than I was paying for. Nice feeling.
    It also allows for almost unlimited and zero anxiety filled modifications if so desired (i.e. Thunderball). So much so that a factory stock 5120 may be a rare find in 5 years. Me, I'm happy with a SS Compton bridge change and new strings but love seeing all the modded 5120's on this forum.
    Never gave it much thought until this thread but the neck is very playable for a "budget" guitar. I know I enjoy playing my 5120 . Hard to keep my hands off of it. That's a good thing I think.

No doubt the 5120 has filled a need exceptionally well.

17. RL_Gretsch_09

RL_Gretsch_09 Electromatic

Jan 6, 2010
    Nova Scotia
    I like the playability, and the affordable looks of the guitar. I've also made a few changes and I now have this as my #1 guitar. Love the Bigsby.. On my strat I never used the wammy bar, always had the brdige blocked up... The big orange guitar, with the Bigsby, is fun to play.

I've swapped the pickups for HS Filtertrons, have a compton bridge, Paul S. fancied up my truss rod cover, upgraded to CTS pots all around...

I am thinking it probably sounds similar to the pro-line models, and is very easy to play (probably due to the neck shape). I have no problem taking this guitar on stage with me, as #1, and suspect have a lot less anxiety should something happen to it at a bar somewhere.

Did I say it looks cool...

I enjoy being a member of this site, lots of interesting threads / comments. MERRY CHRISTMAS to ALL.

18. Chris_69_SS

Chris_69_SS Electromatic

I like that it isn`t made in china.

19. nicko10_5

nicko10_5 Synchromatic

Sep 19, 2009
    Nottingham
    Can I join in please? This is one of the best topic's on GT for a while! Love it. Personally I never wanted to get straight into a 'proline' model as my 5129 ticks all the boxes. Still get a major thrill every time I pick it up. Looks / sounds / plays Great. Happy days. Happy christmas.

20. rosemary

rosemary Synchromatic

Oct 12, 2008
    pasadena
    so very glad you joined in :)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.