Favorite Guitar Solos

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by drmilktruck, Nov 15, 2021.

1. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    He's just great all the way around.

mrfixitmi, drmilktruck and NJDevil like this.
  2. Jackrd

Jackrd Electromatic

Nov 27, 2017
    New York NY
    I have two: "Who's that Lady" and "Ricky Don't Lose that Number". Yes, the first uses distortion which 'alters' the piece but I judge solos by how listenable they are. Both of these solos, in my opinion, do a terrific job of 'playing to the song', not simply going off into tangents of fast playing and redundant nonsense. The latter is one of the most brilliant solos I have ever heard and never get tired of hearing it, and I am not a solo guy by any stretch.

3. Ktone

Ktone Electromatic

Oct 31, 2021
    SE PA USA
    My favorite solos are ones I really love to play. Here are five, all over the map, common theme is that they hit “the spot” for me when I play them. In no particular order:
    One of These Nights - Don Felder (Eagles)
    Play The Game - Brian May (Queen)
    Wino Junko - Jimmy McCulloch (Wings)
    Ava Adore -Billy Corgan/James Iha (Smashing Pumpkins)
    Man In The Box - Jerry Cantrell (Alice in Chains)

mrfixitmi, drmilktruck and ZackyDog like this.
  4. swivel

swivel Country Gent

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    Robben Ford on "Up The Line" is nice. and many other songs on this album: Solo 1:40

5. swivel

swivel Country Gent

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    Many Eagles solos. Not sure if that fits this request though.
    Coco does some nice stuff on this album:

6. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Gretschified

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    What a cool thread!
    Although there are a lot of " more technically qualified " entries on this subject I always thought that the most "spot on" and "most self-contained" solo I ever heard was Kiss` Ace Frehley`s solo on "I was made for loving you".
    I always loved Starships`s Craig Chaquico`s solo on "Nothing gonna stop us now" for the same reason.
    Just a few bars that will burn into your mind forever as an integral part of an iconic song.
    I always tried to make a short but "sing-able" contribution to the world like these and I really hope that one day I will succeed.
    It is not a matter of physical skills and burning down the house but a matter of finding the ultimate short "song within the song" for me.

7. MentalTossFlycoon

MentalTossFlycoon Gretschie

Dec 22, 2018
    Texas
    Opps thought of one more very important one for me........ ZZ Top " Sure Got Cold After the Rain Fell".......Billy at his finest, especially the long solo at the end.

mrfixitmi and drmilktruck like this.
  8. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    This song has always hung around in my head.

The intro and lead riff have just captured me.

One of the late Paul Cotton's finest.

9. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Prince, While My Guitar Gently Weeps at the George Harrison RnR induction. Starts at 3:25 if you're impatient. The look on Dani and Prince's faces at 4:55 says it all. Pure joy

DennisC, moltenmagna, NJDevil and 4 others like this.
  10. dougmon

dougmon Synchromatic

Jan 9, 2013
    California
    I'm not sure about this -- could be well known, but I don't hear many people talk about it when discussing great solos: Clapton's solo on "Badge." I think it's one of his best.

11. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    yeah that Prince solo is truly great Henry.
    Pity he didn't include that kind of playing in his own music.

For innovation and exploring new tones with electric guitars I rate this Tom Morello solo very highly too - got to 2:50 secs :)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

12. Landshark2020

Landshark2020 Gretschie

Sep 4, 2020
    Brian Robertson (Thin Lizzy) - "Still in love with you" main solo (2:42)

13. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    Great solo, IMHO.
    I forgot about this, but yer right. Beautiful work. Poco is a very under appreciated band. I was living in Colorado at the time of this recording and there seemed to be a spiritual connection between the Front Range of Colorado and Country Rock, in general, and Poco had some local connections, so they probably got more airplay in the Denver/Boulder market than in other parts of the country.

When I started reading about the history of Country Rock, I was coming at it from the perspective of a kid that had spent his teen years living within sight of the Denver Boulder Turnpike, right during the heyday of Country Rock. From my experiences, Poco was a big time act and I was shocked to read that they had fairly limited chart success. You couldn’t have proven that from what was played on the Denver AM stations in the ‘70s.

mrfixitmi, G5422T and drmilktruck like this.
  14. senojnad

senojnad Synchromatic

Jul 13, 2008
    Lehigh Valley, PA
    GREAT topic and some EXCELLENT posts!

One of my favorites is Scotty Moore's 2nd solo on "Hound Dog". After all these years, I still have not been able to figure out the first 2 opening chords he used to start that riff. I've done some "Googleresearch" but have not found anything that sounds right.....

15. Scamp

Scamp Gretschie

Feb 22, 2018
    SoCal

stevo, mrfixitmi, Waxhead and 2 others like this.
  16. drmilktruck

drmilktruck I Bleed Orange

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    The solos in this song have stuck in my head for years, especially the second one (3:40) which is my ideal guitar tone.

17. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    I LOVE that one. David Gilmour is for me one of the most exemplary soloists - he stays within the mood and setting of the song and plays things that you can easily relate to.

NJDevil, Waxhead and drmilktruck like this.
  18. Ktone

Ktone Electromatic

Oct 31, 2021
    SE PA USA
    A great example of what you are talking about is Todd Rundgren’s solo in I Saw The Light. Short and singable because it really follows the melody. I love those kind of solos too.

mrfixitmi, loudnlousy and drmilktruck like this.
  19. J Bird

J Bird Synchromatic

Check this out. Almost guaranteed to bring tears to my eyes.

20. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    Amazing guy.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.