Favorite Gear Acquisition of 2016

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by drmilktruck, Dec 30, 2016.

1. JC higgy

JC higgy Gretschified

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    I only bought 2 guitars this year,a MIM 2013 Fender P bass ,and recently a 2006 Gretsch Duo Jet TSP.

[​IMG]

j.s.c, mrfixitmi, BorderRadio and 4 others like this.
  2. Random1643

Random1643 Synchromatic

May 10, 2015
    Upper Midwest, USA
    Great thread!

For me, it's gotta be the Gretsch G9450 Dixie 5-String Banjo - with Snark Tuner, Shubb Capo, G2182 Case. Haven't played banjo in close to 50 years but am just having a blast with this thing. It's got the vibe for the old timey music but also brings new approaches to other material, e.g., Here Comes The Sun sounds amazing in A6 tuning. At a recent Sunday morning cafe gig:

upload_2016-12-30_14-25-14.png

chairman, Tinman46 and Trash Kidd like this.
  3. Likeabrave

Likeabrave Synchromatic

Feb 11, 2010
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    2016 brought me two Green Gretsches - a 5622 and a G.Love CVT. I'd pick the G.Love as my favorite acquisition
    [​IMG]

4. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    That just makes me sad :(

5. dazzajl

dazzajl Country Gent

Apr 18, 2010
    wiltshire
    After several years without having a guitar at all, it's been a bit busy this year. Six, could even be seven guitars have passed through and seven amps have been owned in search of happiness.

I think I've been pretty lucky as two have proved to be outstanding beyond anything I could have wished for.

A Vyse 5E3 Tweed Deluxe affair, which I won't call a clone as nothing else sounds quite like it. And a Duesenberg Caribou. Joint favourites.

IMG_1702.JPG

6. LA Miles

LA Miles Country Gent

Dec 6, 2012
    UPSTATE NY
    I'm blessed to have gotten a couple of fabulous guitars this year(even sold a couple), but this makes em sound so good...(just finished a deal today on a geetar, won't get it till 2017)
    eod8rryg3dj92r8jsjyg.jpg
    sckwlfuk7ynchg4l8bhm.jpg

7. Lizardkinged

Lizardkinged Friend of Fred

Oct 5, 2009
    Michigan
    How the hell am I supposed to pick out of all that stuff I got this year.

It's either the 68' Custom Deluxe, PRS CE24, or the Supro Jupiter Reverb... I just got all 3 in the last few weeks so I'm not sure if they're all honeymoon period... All the pedals... I'll just do a "best in class"

The Deluxe was by far the best amp purchased versatility wise I think.
    PRS CE24 was the Best guitar purchase of my life so far... Kills everything I own in some manner.
    The Friedman BE-OD was probably the best/most surprising pedal purchase of 2016.

8. giffenf

giffenf Synchromatic

Oct 26, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Favorite out of all of that stuff I bought this year? That's kind of a tough call, but whichever it was, it's green. Caddy green or metallic green, can't decide which one I like best, the 6120CG or the Tricky Gomez 290:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

9. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    For me probably the Origin Cali 76 compressor. Its fun and has changed the way I think about my setup. Mystery train is awesome too but it is a combo of two awesome things a had so edged out.

The 6120jr2 is edged out too as I want and need to completely change the electric parts from pickups to pots and switches.

10. JimmyB1982

JimmyB1982 Country Gent

Jul 5, 2012
    Saugus, CA
    Hey all, been away a while but this looks like a good place to pick back up!

I didn't acquire any new guitars this year.. assembled, modded, and sold a few, but nothing too notable.. quite a few pedals since I was here last, and as many left for new homes too.

My favorite and most notable acquisition has to be the Nocturne Bettie Blondeshell! This thing is absolutely the best sounding amp I've played. Very clear and full vintage tones, but with every modern luxury and reliability. I truly can't say enough good about it!

[​IMG]

And for good measure here's the teles I assembled and keep modding... ;)

[​IMG]

11. Redliner

Redliner Electromatic

May 7, 2011
    Fleetwood, PA
    My Seagull S12 12 string. Wanted one for a long time. Have a serious case of railroad track fingertips but loving it.
    IMG_0002.JPG

12. Waxhead

Waxhead Friend of Fred

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    For me its been this Mark V as No 1

[​IMG]

And 2nd is this G5422
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 31, 2016
    LivingMyDream and Tinman46 like this.
  13. not_man_davo

not_man_davo Synchromatic

Feb 13, 2015
    tejas
    IMG_7284.jpg

For me, it's this rascal. I didn't buy too much this year, but even if i had i believe this fella would make the cut. Just plays like a dream and doesnt even sound too bad with me at the helm!

14. Tinman46

Tinman46 Country Gent

Dec 19, 2011
    Nope
    I picked one of these up a couple years ago. It's a great 12 string, full rich sound.

15. JimmyB1982

JimmyB1982 Country Gent

Jul 5, 2012
    Saugus, CA
    What's the bridge you got on there?? Looks like the saddles match the pickguard??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. Tinman46

Tinman46 Country Gent

Dec 19, 2011
    Nope
    I haven't bought any guitar gear for a while now. Most of my spare cash has been outfitting my wood shop. I did build this guitar from my new shop.

IMG_20161105_171450.jpg

17. not_man_davo

Feb 13, 2015
    tejas
    They're GraphTech Tusq Jazzmaster saddles. They're awesome. they eliminate all the weirdo buzzing and slipping that stock Jazzmaster saddles have. totally worth the price of admission IMO

BorderRadio and JimmyB1982 like this.
  18. JimmyB1982

JimmyB1982 Country Gent

Jul 5, 2012
    Saugus, CA
    Niiiiiiiice!!!! I put a Mastery on my Jazzy but these would have been perfect! Good for future offsets.. Hahaha. What model is yours?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

not_man_davo likes this.
  19. Whiteomatic

Whiteomatic Gretschie

Nov 24, 2016
    Arizona
    Ive acquired quite a bit of gear this year. But my best one has gotta be my 5420. Love that thing.

20. not_man_davo

Feb 13, 2015
    tejas
    I was going to put a Mastery on it, but someone here recommended swapping the saddles first so i did, and it's really impressive. Having never had a JM before I just never thought of it, but I'm glad someone else did.

It's a 60's lacquer model and it fits my busted old hands better than 99% of the guitars I've bought in the last 5 years. it needs a new trem bar as this one doesn't quite rise high enough for me, but that's a tiny quibble. may just need a rebend so I'm not too worried about it. everything else about it is perfect for me.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.