Favorite Concerts?

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by jaycemumford, Apr 11, 2011.

1. Poppatwang

Poppatwang Synchromatic

Jun 2, 2008
    St. Paul, MN
    Emmylou Harris and Spyboy in 1997

2. Gretsch5135

Gretsch5135 Synchromatic

May 1, 2010
    Republic of Texas
    Bon Jovi (yes, Bon Jovi) around 1988. It was my first concert and while I don't like a ton of their music, I did grow up with it on the radio.

That being said, "Wanted Dead Or Alive" was the most amazing piece of live music I've ever seen, not that I've seen a ton. It was totally different than the rest of the act and the crowd completely felt it. Unbelievably cool. Rock on, Mr. Sambora.

3. mdglaw

mdglaw Electromatic

Nov 17, 2009
    Marblehead, MA
    'Roger Waters "the wall" Boston Garden 2010

4. Raspy

Raspy Country Gent

Jun 7, 2008
    extreme no. ca.
    There's been many real good ones, but
    the one that stands out the most, was in
    upstate New York. Woodstock.

Too many groups to list, as if I could remember them all.

===================================

<><> Raspy <><>

5. GJK1959

GJK1959 Country Gent

Mar 14, 2011
    Bishops Stortford
    My first 'proper' gig - Man (featuring John Cipollina) - Roundhouse, London 1975

Stones, Lynyrd Skynyrd, 10cc - Knebworth 1976

Ian Dury and The Blockheads - Ilford Odeon 1983

Red Hot Chili Peppers - Earls Court 2007

6. ChetEddy

ChetEddy Gretschie

Apr 8, 2011
    rockymtns.
    Stevie Ray and Jeff Beck-1989,Springsteen-1981,Robert Gordon-1981.John Hammond-in a room not much bigger than my living room,sitting 2 feet from him.

7. Topfooldugster

Topfooldugster Electromatic

Jan 9, 2011
    108 MIle Ranch BC
    Fleetwood Mac around 1977, Eagles "hell freezes over "tour 2003, and Big Sugar about 1995

8. fletch

fletch Country Gent

Oct 19, 2010
    Sydney Australia
    A couple of years ago at The Sydney Opera house, there was a concert performance of The Beatles' The White Album.
    Performers, Chris Cheney (Living End) Tim Rogers (You Am I) and Josh Pike joined with a 14 piece orchestra, a chorus and a four piece rock combo.
    It was magic from the opening note.

I also saw the 50th Anniversary concert of Cliff Richard and The Shadows last year - I only went for the nostalgia, but wass treated to an awesome concert of stellar musicianshp. It's the only concert I've ever been to where the audience lift on a giggly high, talking to strangers and grinning like fools.
    Fabulous!

Last edited: Apr 12, 2011
  9. dazzajl

dazzajl Country Gent

Apr 18, 2010
    wiltshire
    Ooooh, let's take a little walk down the old memory lane then. :)

In no order, nights that still shine for me would be .......

Quite a few Gil Scot Heron gigs in the late 80's
    Ian Dury and the Blockheads, Town and Country-Kentish Town
    Kenny Burrell, Ronnie Scotts. Sat so close that if you took away the height of the stage, he'd have been sitting at the table with us. Amazing!!!
    Bobby Womack and Saxon, Hammersmith Odeon. Oddly, not on the same night. ;)

These are all from my teenage years and for a little while, I was a bit sad that nothing in my modern times seems to quite have the same shine.

Then I remembered Luduvico Einaudi at the Albert Hall, with all the incredible musicians that collaborated on his albums there too. Courtney Pine at the Cheese and Grain in Frome. Imelda May played there too recently and that was a wonderful night.

I'm happy now seeing music as a forty year old is every bit a giddy as it ever was. :cool:

10. SaltyDog

SaltyDog Country Gent

Aug 23, 2008
    Between F sharp and G flat
    'Twas in the eighties sometime. Early eighties. Maybe late seventies.

Not sure.

The venue was the lowly Minnesota State Fair Grandstand Show.

Carlos Santana and Bob Dylan were on the bill. I think it was the first home-state show Dylan did in a while.
    Carlos killed during the opening. Dylan followed him, and later, they played together. And it struck me that Bob's been practicing guitar solos, 'cause he played good! Maybe that's because he knew he'd be playing with Carlos.

11. Slowhand692002

Slowhand692002 Electromatic

Dec 6, 2010
    FRANCE
    Eric Clapton "Nothing but the blues Tour" 1995, Paris
    Metallica S&M with the symphonic orchestra, Berlin 1999

12. The Marlin

The Marlin Friend of Fred

Feb 2, 2011
    London...ish
    A few of my favourite gigs:

The best live gig i have ever seen was James Addiction (Ritual de lo Habitual tour), at the Birmingham Hummingbird on the 14th ofMarch 1991.

I've seen hundreds of bands live over the years, and been to countless festivals, but this was the standout best gig.

Bert Jansch with Beth Orton and Johnny Marr at Somerset House (London) was also excellent.

Best female singer I've seen live was Sinead O'Connor. She has an awesome voice, but spouts too much anti religion and political rhetoric between songs.

The Damned are always wonderful live, go see them. They tour several times a year.

Johnny Cash live at Glastonbury is a memory that will stay with me forever. The old gentleman knew how to rock!

Mr Marlin

13. Henrytwang

Henrytwang Synchromatic

Feb 28, 2010
    teignmouth uk
    Probably Peter Greens Fleetwood Mac at the Gin Mill pub in Godalming UK. I can't remember the exact date but it was after the first album, (the one with the dog on the cover), and before the second. The gig was on a Sunday evening in the pubs' rather small function room. The band had been recording somewhere in the afternoon and when they arrived the room was already packed with people so the gear was brought in through the back window which was behind the tiny stage, they also brought along a Sax player who'd been recording with them. Peter played some really great guitar that night and the band were on top form, it really was a night to remember.

14. riff1006

riff1006 Gretschie

Mar 19, 2011
    Ozarkistan
    Black Sabbath in the early 80s in Omaha (don't ask why I can't remember what year) and The Black Crowes last year in Fayetteville, AR.

15. D. Spree

D. Spree Synchromatic

Sep 10, 2010
    new york city
    I wish I had been there. I love his playing from that period, yet never got to see him live. Same goes for early Chickenshack with Stan the Man, never got to see them.

16. jaycemumford

jaycemumford Country Gent

Jan 2, 2011
    OzVegas
    May i just say damn you! All these people that have seen SRV Eric Clapton Stones Skynyrd etc etc!-

17. fletch

fletch Country Gent

Oct 19, 2010
    Sydney Australia
    Taking this down a large notch from the famous to the never-heard-of, I used to go to an Italian restaurant and a guy called Michael Prizeman played there every Friday night. He played a Gibson LP 'Black Beauty' - he had a marvellous voice and could REALLY play guitar. And he had an encyclopaedic knowledge of songs. In a break, a fellow once told him his favourite Beatles album was Revolver, so for the next set, Michael played the whole thing.

He manages a department store and very few people will ever know what they missed by not seeing him play. I was priveleged to know him and to play with him at my home.

A nice bloke and a wonderful performer.

18. telespank

telespank Synchromatic

Feb 25, 2011
    Davidson, NC
    My younger brother and I saw REM in Richmond, Va. shortly after they released their first EP, back in the vinyl days. They were young and hungry and put on a truly unforgettable show for the 30 or 40 people in attendance in the Flood Zone bar on Broad Street.

Rickenbacker guitars and a Fender bass. Michael Stipe had long curly hair and no blue stripe across his eyes.

19. LittleRedRooster

LittleRedRooster Synchromatic

Dec 10, 2009
    Falls Church VA
    1) Neil Young and Crazy Horse with Sonic Youth and Social Distortion - early 1991
    2) Talking Heads - Stop Making Sense tour - Stanley Theatre Pittsburgh. - 1983
    3) Bruce Springsteen and the E St Band - Stanley Theatre 1978
    4) John Renbourne and Bert Jansch - Vienna Va 1990
    5) ? and the Mysterians - 9:30 Club Washinton DC
    6) Van Der Graaf Generator & The Strawbs 2009 - State Theatre Falls Church VA
    7) Grateful Dead - Stanley Theatre 1979
    8) U2 & The Alarm - Fulton Theatre Pittsburgh 1983
    9) The Blasters - Pittsburgh 1983
    10) Richard Thompson - Graffiti Pittsburgh 1986
    11) The Residents - Lisner Auditorium 1990
    12) Danny Gatton - 9:30 Club 1991
    13) Uncle Tupelo - Chameleon Club Atlanta 1994
    14) Ella Fitzgerald - Point Park Pittsburgh 1984
    15) King Crimson & California Guitar Trio - Warner Theatre 1995
    16) Guided By Voices - Black Cat Washington DC 1995
    17) Gong - The Birchmere 1996
    18) The Jayhawks & Blue Mountain 1997
    19) John Fogerty & Bottle Rockets - Nissan Pavillion 1998
    20) Brian Wilson - Pet Sounds Tour Harrisburg Convention Center (got to meet Brian)
    21) The Soft Boys Reunion 2001 - 9:30 Club
    22) Television - Somewhere in DC
    23) Brian Wilson Smile Tour 2004
    24) Gang of Four - Stanley Theatre 1983

20. JaygLongBeach

JaygLongBeach Country Gent

Feb 14, 2011
    Southern California
    U2
    October 2009
    360 Tour- Pasadena, CA

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.