Favorite Banned Songs

rake_ether

Synchromatic
Gold Supporting Member
Aug 24, 2019
Athens, GA USA
Back in the day how much fun was it to go to your friend's house a spin one of those songs that wouldn't or couldn't be played on the radio. What were some of your favorites? Here's a rocking version of one of mine. We thought we were so cool listening to this.

Back in Black

Country Gent
Double Platinum Member
Jun 22, 2020
Ontario Canada
Highschool Confidential

Hh,

Always loved this song!!!

I worked in Basrah Iraq for three years.

Rivers Of Babylon by Boney M was banned...reasons not so obvious.

This gave me the incentive to track down and buy everything Boney M ever recorded.

Still have all of it.

Ra Ra Rasputin!!!

Bony M and ABBA helped keep me sane during all my ''away years''

Iraq/Saudi Arabia/Kuwait...over 45 years ago now...or was it yesterday??

Best,

BIB

Cryin_Caleb_Aaron

Friend of Fred
Gold Supporting Member
Aug 15, 2018
Auburn, Maine
In the USA songs might be excluded from mainstream radio etc for whatever reason, but it can never be completely erased. Even the best efforts to do so fail.

It should be said that mainstream has never been cool in my lifetime.

Ice-T’s band Body Count had a masterpiece that was “banned” in the early 90’s, but that was self-imposed. Pressure from outside forces such as the LAPD, the government, and his record label resulted in Ice removing the song from the album and replacing it with a remix of his song “Freedom of Speech (Just Watch What You Say)”
The song in question is still performed live, and is still available to hear. It’s never been “banned”.

Last edited:

Viking Power

Synchromatic
Jun 11, 2018
Mountlake Terrace, WA
In the USA songs might be excluded from mainstream radio etc for whatever reason, but it can never be completely erased. Even the best efforts to do so fail.

It should be said that mainstream has never been cool in my lifetime.

Ice-T’s band Body Count had a masterpiece that was “banned” in the early 90’s, but that was self-imposed. Pressure from outside forces such as the LAPD, the government, and his record label resulted in Ice removing the song from the album and replacing it with a remix of his song “Freedom of Speech (Just Watch What You Say)”
The song in question is still performed live, and is still available to hear. It’s never been “banned”.
And the remix featured the excellent spoken word bit by none other than Jello Biafra.

Cryin_Caleb_Aaron

Friend of Fred
Gold Supporting Member
Aug 15, 2018
Auburn, Maine
And the remix featured the excellent spoken word bit by none other than Jello Biafra.
Hell yeah! The original version from Ice’s 3rd record The Iceburg has those same Jello samples too.
Also, the first song on the Iceburg “Shut Up! be Happy!” Is basically just a Jello bit set to Black Sabbath.
It’s an awesome record.

Maguchi

Gretschie
Aug 11, 2022
Lalaland
Back in the day how much fun was it to go to your friend's house a spin one of those songs that wouldn't or couldn't be played on the radio. What were some of your favorites? Here's a rocking version of one of mine. We thought we were so cool listening to this.

Working Class Hero - John Lennon

Zeek

Country Gent
May 29, 2016
Illinois USA
Cant list some as said by a few lol
so here is one

was banned after it came out as a featured song in the 1942 movie “Holiday Inn.” It was thought that hearing the song could hurt morale among soldiers during World War II who couldn’t be home with their families.