Fat P90 pickup recommendation for Neck Position in a G2420?

JetSoldTears

Electromatic
Jul 4, 2017
New York
I love my 2420 - the bridge pickup gives me enough "Gretsch" sound - but I'd like to have the option of jazz on the neck pickup, and would like it to have a fatter sound.

Can anyone recommend a good jazz pickup for the neck position in a 2420? I'd prefer a P90, but maybe a HB would be easier to wire????

Randy99CL

Country Gent
Feb 17, 2020
Albuquerque
I've tried a few of the GFS HB pickups and like them. Not expensive. They sell a lot of other models I'd like to try.
Their HB-sized P-90 would likely bolt right in with no mods. The reviews are good and the only problem is that sometimes they are out of stock.
Keep in mind that some recommend a 380K pot with a P-90.

Welcome to Guitarfetish

section2

Country Gent
Dec 21, 2016
Toronto
I love my 2420 - the bridge pickup gives me enough "Gretsch" sound - but I'd like to have the option of jazz on the neck pickup, and would like it to have a fatter sound.

Can anyone recommend a good jazz pickup for the neck position in a 2420? I'd prefer a P90, but maybe a HB would be easier to wire????

Welcome to the forum!

Have you tried experimenting with pickup height? The Broadtron pickups on the 2420 are pretty warm to begin with, and you can warm them up by raising the body of the neck pickup and lowering the pole pieces. Might be worth a try.

JetSoldTears

Electromatic
Jul 4, 2017
New York
Welcome to the forum!

Have you tried experimenting with pickup height? The Broadtron pickups on the 2420 are pretty warm to begin with, and you can warm them up by raising the body of the neck pickup and lowering the pole pieces. Might be worth a try.
Escellent - thank you. I'm more of a Fender guy, so the adjustments on this are new to me. I'll def. try!!!

BennytheJet

Gretschie
Dec 6, 2019
Arlington, WA
I picked up a Guitar Madness humbucker P90 on Ebay for something like $18 to throw into a Firefly LP that I had picked up a while ago. The stock pups in the guitar were terrible (understandably), so the GM P90 was a big improvement. It definitely didn't have a boutique vibe, but it channeled a traditional P90 vibe - and it cost less than $20. I would imagine it's similar quality to the GFS pups.

I should mention that I ended up getting the ceramic 5 model, which is supposedly a little mellower than the alnico variety.

Definitely recommend if you're just looking to try something different!

Luc Fontaine

Jan 12, 2016
Canada

I know it's not the same guitar but I installed a TV Jones P-90 on the neck position in one of my Telecasters and it's fat but not muddy. It's not as dark as most P-90's. It sounds great clean or with overdrive. I love that pickup. There not cheap but for me it was worth it.

Latest posts