Falcon v CC

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by Duo Slinger, Jan 27, 2021.

1. Duo Slinger

Duo Slinger Synchromatic

Sep 11, 2020
    California, USA
    So, I was looking at the recent post regarding the natural Country Club, and I started to wonder, what's the actual difference between, say, the 59 Country Club, and Player's Edition Falcon? A slight headstock change, different color scheme, a mud switch, a tone knob... these all seem like minor differences. Am I missing something? Are they really different?

2. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    Not too much different. The Falcon has more bling, but the CC is really classy and has this gorgeous woody sound from the spruce top. The Falcon has a laminate top.

I have owned a CC and two Falcons and sold them all. Two reasons. The guitars were both really big guitars and I'm a little short-a$$. Although I'm 5'7" the guitars felt huge. The second reason was the Falcon's binding (gold with black flecks) was damn near impossible to see the fret markers on a dark stage.

I decided that for me, a 16" 6120 was about as big as I wanted to go. I miss the CC some days.

Scott and audept like this.
  3. AllenK

AllenK Gretschie

59 VS CC has TV Jones pickups, a deeper 2.75" trestle braced body and Space Control bridge. PE Falcon has HS Filtertrons, the shallower 2.25" ML braced body, a bar bridge, locking tuners and string through Bigsby.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2021
  4. Duo Slinger

Duo Slinger Synchromatic

Sep 11, 2020
    California, USA
    Huh. So it's deeper. Now, compared to the 59 Falcon is there any difference?

5. Duo Slinger

Duo Slinger Synchromatic

Sep 11, 2020
    California, USA
    Yeah, even then, 16" is a big ol' guitar. Funniest thing I ever saw was Malcolm Young with a White Falcon... that guitar was bigger than him.

Tony65x55 likes this.
  6. AllenK

AllenK Gretschie

Size, construction, neck, pickups and appointments the same. Difference is in colour and bling. No idea whether they sound different. If they do I imagine it would be subtle.

7. Duo Slinger

Duo Slinger Synchromatic

Sep 11, 2020
    California, USA
    Wild.

8. Highroller

Highroller Country Gent

Jun 11, 2015
    Portland, OR
    You know, that's the first thing I noticed the first time I played a Falcon. It's about the only thing I don't like about them, but it's a major thing when it comes to actually playing them. At least for me ... and I guess you, too.

I'd probably go with the Country Club, but in Caddy Green.

I have read or heard (probably here) something about a 16" Falcon not too long ago... might have been that PE. I remember it because I thought it was terrible idea! If it's not a 17" body, it's not a Falcon thank you very much! LoL!

G5422T likes this.
  9. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    Ya, it's a big deal. Your instrument has to be comfortable. While the Country Club is also a 17" guitar I preferred it to the beautiful Falcons, if only because I could see the fret markers.

However, it was still huge and I moved it on.

10. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    Ya, it looked almost cartoonish. Imagine how uncomfortable it must have felt compared to the little double Jet.

Duo Slinger likes this.
  11. Duo Slinger

Duo Slinger Synchromatic

Sep 11, 2020
    California, USA
    It must've sucked.

Unrelated question, but what is "The 'Shwa"?

12. afire

afire Country Gent

If they're emulating a certain year, the differences should be cosmetic only. A '55 Club and a '55 Falcon were built the same. A '59 Club and a '59 Falcon were built the same. There's no longer a '55 style Club in the lineup, but there are both a '59 Club and '59 Falcon, and they have identical build specs.

Duo Slinger likes this.
  13. Duo Slinger

Duo Slinger Synchromatic

Sep 11, 2020
    California, USA
    Weird. Wonder why they did that.

14. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    For me, it'd be a Caddy Green CC. I'm not a blingy-sparkly type of guy, and the green is subtle.

Tony65x55 likes this.
  15. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    Oshawa, Ontario, Canada. Nice little place on the north shore of Lake Ontario about 30km east of Toronto. The locals call it the "Shwa

16. Duo Slinger

Duo Slinger Synchromatic

Sep 11, 2020
    California, USA
    Ahhhh I see

Tony65x55 likes this.
  17. cvr31

cvr31 Gretschie

Before I bought my 59 VS Country Club, it was a toss up between that and a Falcon. I chose the Club for two reasons...
    1. I got a great deal on the NOS Club, and 2. after playing a Falcon I realized I would also have some problems seeing the dots on the binding. I wasn't sure if it would hamper my playing substantially or not, but I really didn't want to take a chance when dropping so much money on it.

I wanted that long scale/big body sound and feel. Either the Club or a Falcon would have worked. I'm glad I chose the Club, but I still look at Falcons. Maybe I'll have one sometime in the future, but it won't tear me up if I don't. I'm pretty happy with my Club. The neck is a little thinner than I usually like, but I've adapted to it over the past several months and now it feels quite playable to my hand.

I had already had several 6120s through the years with their shorter scale and smaller body. Although I found the perfect 6120 for me and plan on keeping it for the rest of my life, I am really impressed with the "bigger" sound of the Country Club. I now prefer the sound of the bigger guitars. Also, the longer Fender-length scale also gives me just a slight bit more room between the frets, which increases the comfort of playing farther up the neck for me. The inch wider body also makes a better arm rest for me.

18. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Friend of Fred

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    Falcons are for us attention seekers.
    Country Clubs are for the more modest person.

19. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Gretschified

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    As said above the main difference is the cosmetics. The CC is an elegant gentleman and
    the Falcon will always be the big showboat. I personally would go with the showboat, absolutely.

20. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    Neil Young was once asked about his Falcon and why?

He said that Falcons are a "Show Biz" guitar. Lol

Groutsch likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.