Falcon necks

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by Sofaplayer, May 6, 2020.

1. Sofaplayer

Sofaplayer Electromatic

Jun 18, 2015
    Berlin, Germany
    I have been on the look-out for a Falcon with Dynas and Cadillac tailpiece for a few years now, to accompany a '14 G6196T Country Club and a '06 G400C. I have never played a Falcon and I wonder if there is anything noteworthy about Falcon necks. For example how they have changed over the years or if they are comparable with the neck of my Country Club.

I've seen an ad for Steven Stern Custom Shop White Falcon and it describes the neck as medium "C" - .860 1st fret to .950 10th fret. That is pretty thin, more or less comparable to the Country Club neck.

To be honest, I was looking for a more substantial neck. The specs for theG6136-55 Vintage Select Edition on the Gretsch site just says Standard 'U'. That sounds promising. Has anyone ever played one and could tell me how it feels?
    https://www.gretschguitars.com/gear...ollow-body-with-cadillac-tailpiece/2411510805

CaliforniaSlim likes this.
  2. pilgrim

pilgrim Country Gent

Jun 15, 2010
    Mississippi
    I have all of them and my favorite is not a Falcon (Blk or White all headstocks, all tailpieces. My favorite is the 1959 Reissue Chet for neck and pickups) I bought one and then bought another. Ya just gotta play them. Of the Falcons the one in my avatar is preFender and is my fav Falcon.

3. Sofaplayer

Sofaplayer Electromatic

Jun 18, 2015
    Berlin, Germany
    What makes the neck and pickups special for you, what makes them stand out when compared to the Falcons? As far as I know most of the Chets have a 1.75" nut, that's too wide for me. And a 24.75" scale, I prefer 25.5".

4. Mellowcat

Mellowcat Gretschie

Aug 22, 2013
    VA
    The Falcon in my avatar is the model that you're asking about. It's a wonderful guitar, but it has a medium "C" neck. The neck is not chunky or a "U". It's probably a lot like your CC. I have a 50s style Tele with a "U" neck for comparison.

5. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    My previous '04 Falcon had what I would call a fatter or chunkier neck than my other Prolines.

I can't say if it was a C or a U shape, but there was a lot of wood to grip, and comfortable.

My present '14 Phoenix's neck is not as chunky feeling. A nice full feel, but just not as much wood.

6. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Friend of Fred

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    My Falcon is a 2004 and the neck feels like heaven. It’s not as chunky as the necks on my Electros, but not skinny either.
    Basically it just feels like home.

CaliforniaSlim and G5422T like this.
  7. jetbunny

jetbunny Electromatic

Mar 29, 2017
    NYC
    My '05 Phoenix is chunkier than my '05 White Falcon. But here's the catch: the strings on the Phoenix feels like 10s.

Both guitars are strung with 11s.

I've been struggling to adjust the WF near the Phoenix's friendly string tension to no avail. I just learned to accept it.

8. Sofaplayer

Sofaplayer Electromatic

Jun 18, 2015
    Berlin, Germany
    Interesting, is you WF of recent production? I didn't expect it to have a Nocaster neck, just hoping for a slightly chunkier neck than the Prolines I know.

9. Sofaplayer

Sofaplayer Electromatic

Jun 18, 2015
    Berlin, Germany
    Ah, '04 you say?

10. Sofaplayer

Sofaplayer Electromatic

Jun 18, 2015
    Berlin, Germany
    Hmm, not as chunky and '04 again, now it becomes difficult.

11. Sofaplayer

Sofaplayer Electromatic

Jun 18, 2015
    Berlin, Germany
    In my experience the guitars that feel like they are strung with lighter strings than they really are, end up to be the real winners. Congrats, your Phoenix seems to be one.

12. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Friend of Fred

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    Granted, I think the neck in the 5420 is quite chunky. The neck on my Falcon is not as chunky, but it’s not skinny either. It just feels great.

13. bluenote23

bluenote23 Country Gent

Oct 17, 2009
    Montreal, Canada
    I have a 2008 Falcon and the neck profile is pretty much like my other 5 Terada Gretschs (4 from 2005). I like the profile but you won't. Very different from a '52 Tele neck, say. I have a feeling that the Falcons from this era and the preFMIC era would not be your cup of tea.

Maybe post 2012 models were different.

Sofaplayer likes this.
  14. Mellowcat

Mellowcat Gretschie

Aug 22, 2013
    VA
    It's from December of 2018. The neck measurements are similar to those mentioned in your first post. Hope this helps. It is a great guitar.

Sofaplayer likes this.
  15. Sofaplayer

Sofaplayer Electromatic

Jun 18, 2015
    Berlin, Germany
    Thanks, that certainly helps, although it is not what I was hoping for. I don't doubt that it is a wonderful guitar.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.