Falcon-ish Schecter model

drmilktruck

Senior Gretsch-Talker
Double Platinum Member
May 17, 2009
Plymouth, MN
Isn't the shape of the Gretsch single cuts derivative of the Les Paul? If you take single-cut, double-cut, X and V body, throw in the Explorer and Jazzmaster. Mix with solid, chambered and hollow-body construction, it seems to me you've exhausted the creative juices of the guitar makers.
Actually, I don't blame the makers, it's the buyers that demand "TRADITION".
It's the same with amps... it seems like everybody is trying for the '50s through '70s Fender/Marshall/Vox/Mesa circuit. Speakers... what percentage of speakers sold are Vintage 30s?

What's that? The headstock shape is different? The fretboard inlays are unique? This one has a premium capacitor?

Yeah, my back hurts today and I'm grumpy. So how come there wasn't a dwarf named Drunky?
That's the problem with guitar design. I've said it many times before. For a music supposedly rooted in rebellion, rock n roll guitarists are a very conservative lot. (No more rebellious than jazz players.) Modern designs like the Parker Fly or Steinberger/Strandberg models, or wacky 80s styles, are shunned, even though they may offer better playability, or at least something different.

AZBrahma

Synchromatic
Dec 18, 2020
Arizona
I heard someone called for a Schecter expert. :)

They started in 1976 making high-quality replacement parts including all brass hardware (which was a big thing at the time), necks and bodies often made of exotic wood, and winding their own pickups (right around the time Dimarzio and Duncan started doing the same). They came up with the first tappable single coil, 1/4" magnet rod, and other stuff I can't remember. They started out because current production from the big guys was largely of crappy quality. Soon after they started making fully assembled guitars at the factory that they called Dream Machines. They were expensive as heck and incredible guitars. In essence, they were the first real custom shop. They were never a repair shop.

Who is this for? I guess it depends on who you ask. I see it as a Falcon-ish thing for someone that wants better quality than an Electromatic and can't or doesn't want to spend real Terada money. Based on how many I've seen, either being played or for sale, I'd say they missed their mark. I wouldn't kick it out of bed for eating crackers though!

1669928759026.png

mrfixitmi

Country Gent
Gold Supporting Member
Mar 20, 2010
Michigan
That's the problem with guitar design. I've said it many times before. For a music supposedly rooted in rebellion, rock n roll guitarists are a very conservative lot. (No more rebellious than jazz players.) Modern designs like the Parker Fly or Steinberger/Strandberg models, or wacky 80s styles, are shunned, even though they may offer better playability, or at least something different.
Thank you our Good Dr. I could not have said it better. I have owned several Schecters, Steinbergers, Parker Flys along with RKS guitars and they were incredible, you had to play them, and then judge. Guitarists are typically very traditional, and that is ok in their own rite, but it is a benefit to keep our minds open as well. When I see new Gretsch guitars with the Gibson type low profile, I have to admit, I didn't like the idea, but once I played them I realized that they were good players. And are great players with some modifications.

LivingMyDream

Friend of Fred
Gold Supporting Member
May 4, 2016
Peculiar, Missouri
I was a Schecter fan for a while (I had a gorgeous C-1 Elite), and then I moved on more to Stratocasters. That doesn't mean that Schecter doesn't make good guitars, it's just not what I'm looking for anymore. I did watch the video, and where Darrell mentioned Gretsch-like tones, I would agree that "Gretsch-like" might be accurate, but definitely not the Great Gretsch Sound that we all come to love.

Will it appeal to some players? I'm sure it will. After all, when Gretsch created the Streamliner line, the pickups were not totally Gretsch sound based. They wanted a sound that players coming from humbucker could relate to. My first Gretsch was a 5120 for that very reason. I think Schecter will do well with it, and it might also help some players ultimately find their way to the full Gretsch sound, also. It could happen.

Ricochet

Senior Gretsch-Talker
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 13, 2009
Monkey Island
I like almost everything about it, except for the inlays. I detest them. They have weak lines, no identity, and manage to be obtrusive in their biggedness, they’re blobs.

Just passed on a $2000 guitar cause of a couple dimes worth of MOT. See how that works Mr. Schecter?

Henry

I Bleed Orange
Apr 9, 2014
Petaluma
I like the color and binding, also the f-holes. Except the knobs need to be bigger. Plus I'm sure it's a lot cheaper than a real Falcon. Gretsch needs a Streamliner or Electromatic version of the Falcon.

If there wasn't "borrowing" some well-loved Gretsch models wouldn't be around. Duo Jet-Les Paul, 2nd Corvette - SG, all the double cut hollow bodies in the 60s - 335
I agree except for the Jet ‐ Les Paul. As someone who had a Les Paul first and hardly heard of Gretsh told recently, I had the same impression. But the reality is the Les Paul (and jet) was not remotely original in shape; it was just a solid, junior / smaller version of the very common single cut hollow body shapes that everyone made.

Lacking Talent

Country Gent
Aug 5, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
They’re actually a pretty cool guit. They sound great, the pickups are awesome, comfortable to play, has a push/pull tone knob for single coil. I don’t mind a b7. Not my preference but I’ve never had a problem with one. These have been around a long time. There’s a couple good video demos of them

^ THIS ^

Tried a couple at Winter NAMM over the years, they're great. Bulletproof quality, Filter'Tron-style sounds, terrific playability, and I love that type of soundhole shape. If Schecter had ever offered them in Orange, or Surf Green, or Seafoam Green, I'd already have one. Wouldn't make me enjoy my Gretsch guitars any less.

Pops

Synchromatic
May 23, 2022
SC Midlands
I’ve looked at several new and used and there seems to be a percentage with “finish cracks” at the f-holes. Is this common for Schecters? I wouldn’t expect that in a $2k guitar.