Falcon comes with case - but what a case!

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by DippyDave, Jul 22, 2021.

1. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    I'm not as concerned as to a case's looks as to it's protection for the guitar. Cases get beat up (airline baggage anyone?) ,covered in stickers, and often thrown into a pile for storage. I don't need to get a case for my case.

As long as it doesn't have gold piping...

G5422T likes this.
  2. KreepyTeach

KreepyTeach Electromatic

May 27, 2018
    Brooklyn, Ny
    Isn't it better to have a non-descript, cheap case so it doesn't get looked sideways. I always check out who has a case or gig bag that I would see dragged into the train during daily commutes.

Your new guitar is basically champagne in a beer bottle!

Archtops and G5422T like this.
  3. Merc

Merc Friend of Fred

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    Basically. Even fancied up a bit or more plush interior would be nice. Maybe I’m wrong, but I imagine a nicer and different tolex material wouldn’t cost that much more.

stevo and G5422T like this.
  4. Merc

Merc Friend of Fred

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    Don’t most Gretsch cases either have Gretsch in big letters on the lid or the brass plate withe Gretsch written on it anyway? Most people would likely assume any case large enough for a Falcon must be an expensive guitar anyway.

KreepyTeach and G5422T like this.
  5. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Friend of Fred

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    Welcome to Club Falcon!
    Best guitars ever made!

Bummer the case is weird.
    I bought my 2004 Falcon about 2 years ago and it came with a beautiful luxury case. Fits the giant bird like a glove.

I have purchased a few of the nondescript “standard” Gretsch cases for Electromatics in the past. They do the trick, but they aren’t nearly as nice as the cases that came with my pro-models.

G5422T and Merc like this.
  6. capnhiho

capnhiho Country Gent

Feb 16, 2013
    California
    Does the lid interfere with the Bigsby when you revolve the handle so it points toward the strap pin? I have to swivel my handles pointing downwards in both of my Gretsch cases but they close just fine without any pressure.

HypotenusLuvTriangle likes this.
  7. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    First of all , you all know my #1 pet-peeve ....Every guitar should come with a case !! ( and a jack plate too ) anyway ........ @Back in Black is correct , you did pay for the case . My problem is when someone stencils there name on a case and jack up the price of the case by over $100 ( happened with my 12 string case but that's another story ) @DippyDave , looks like you got the standard TKL Case that I received when I purchased my 6120-1969 years ago . It's a fine case serving it's purpose , but I understand where your coming from . There's some good case companies out there depending what you want to spend $$$ .
    * I like SKB cases , had one with my old 5120 ( just around the house and to friends houses , felt better than the TKL standard
    * Calton Case .....your going to pay https://www.calton-cases.com
    * There are better case out there to protect you investment

BTW - My Martin HD35 and my Martin D28-12 both came with TKL Cases . If I was a working musician , those 2 cases would have been in the garbage already

Back in Black likes this.
  8. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Gretschified

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    There are three purposes for a case and usually you don`t get them in just one:
    - As a decorative accessory accompanying the guitar.
    - As a simple shelter for storage.
    - As a real protection for touring.
    I don`t believe that any touring musician would put his precious guitar in a cardboard-case like these mentioned above in the thread.

They would use a proper flightcase or a least a fiberglass one.

During my earlier days when we used to play a lot of shows there was no way around using heavy-duty flightcases for most of the gear. Thinking back this strategy served us better than any insurance.

If I had a guitar like this one and if I would gig it heavily I would spend some money on a solid flightcase. For simple storage and weekly rehearsal the included one would do suffice. Imho.

Trash Kidd likes this.
  9. HypotenusLuvTriangle

HypotenusLuvTriangle Country Gent

Oct 27, 2010
    Whittier, Ca

Yes

10. capnhiho

capnhiho Country Gent

Feb 16, 2013
    California
    Hmmmm….
    I figured my question was pretty obvious.

11. Lockupyourfatdog

Lockupyourfatdog Synchromatic

Aug 8, 2016
    Everett wa
    Congrats on your Falcon! I have that model too it’s awesome. The cases are a bit on the cheap end. Mine get dinged up easily and the latches break. The locks rarely work. But the guitars still look amazing so they do their job

12. GretschPraise

GretschPraise Gretschie

Jun 26, 2017
    Tampa Bay
    That is a gorgeous guitar! Love that color. The case looks like standard fare.

I bought a cheap ProJet ($400) a number of years back and forked over another $140 for the actual Gretsch case, mostly because the ProJet won't fit in a standard LP case, so limited options. It was a couple of years later before I looked at the bottom of the case and found this! Canadian TKL at it's finest. To be fair, I just bought a new Martin (8x the cost) and it's TKL case is flawless.

P1020818.jpg

13. Fat Bastid

Fat Bastid Gretschie

Jan 16, 2021
    England
    If I spent over 3 Grand on a Guitar, I'd EXPECT a good quality, solid BOMBPROOF case for free..

14. Trailpro

Trailpro Electromatic

Apr 11, 2019
    St Petersburg, FL
    Falcon is beautiful. Looks like all my cases.

15. Drifter

Drifter Gretschie

Dec 27, 2012
    Fun City
    I spent $$$$ on a Gibson and it came with a garbage TKL case that had hot glue (dried) smeared on the inside with big chunks stuck on the inside.
    The sad thing is Gibson Memphis decided to put my guitar in a case like that. The guitar itself was also screwed up and I can say with a smile, Henry J. hooked me up with a replacement.
    It became a big deal cause I have a loud mouth and made a big deal about it. I went up the chain at Sweetwater, TKL (who did not give a crap) and also emailed Henry J. directly. Henry responded to me and all was rectified to my personal satisfaction which was awesome.
    I think it was the last good deed Henry did before getting booted from Gibson. LOL

As far as cases, I am right with the other members who feel every guitar should come with a case or gig bag. (Listen up Yamaha)

16. afire

afire Country Gent

The gray speckled cases were the first thing I thought of too. Do they even still make them? It's quite annoying that Gretsch's website doesn't have a listing of available cases.
    And I do think that the very top of the line guitars should come with the very top of the line case. Maybe this is the top of the current line. I don't know.

JC higgy likes this.
  17. afire

afire Country Gent

The Custom Shop seems to be using cases that may not be generally available. I don't think I've ever seen a modern crosshatch case before.
    [​IMG]
    This is why it would be nice if Gretsch actually listed their lineup of cases, so you didn't have to guess what you can or cannot obtain.

Merc and JC higgy like this.
  18. PDMan

PDMan Electromatic

Dec 26, 2016
    Nashville, TN
    It looks exactly like the case that came with my Setzer 6120, right down to the white spots.

19. speedicut

speedicut Friend of Fred

Jun 5, 2012
    Alabama
    I've got a bunch of those cases and they're fine..
    I might not check one on a plane but for every day guitar case use yours should be OK.
    I agree that a premium guitar should come with a premium case but the Gretsch bean counters apparently think otherwise...

20. Kikstand

Kikstand Newbie

Jul 20, 2018
    Lakeland, Florida
    Beautiful guitar! My Gretsch was gigged it's whole life before I purchased it from the original owner, and the case shows it! But the guitar is flawless so the case served and still serves it well.
    I bought a new 4k Taylor and although the supplied case holds the guitar snug and is heavy, the handle leather has unwrapped and every time I pick it up my hand has glue on it. On my way out the door every weekend I think, "I'm going to fix this today"
    View attachment 165815 View attachment 165815

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.