Falcon comes with case - but what a case!

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by DippyDave, Jul 22, 2021.

1. DippyDave

DippyDave Electromatic

Nov 4, 2020
    Germany
    My falcon arrived today - yay!
    It´s my first and only premium guitar and I was happy that it came with an original Gretsch case.
    Now checking the guitar made me smile, cool color combination and no dings or cracks, just like it has to be.
    The case, well....how can I say it - it´s the worst case (funny, huh?) that I ever owned.
    Looks like beeing made for a 200$ guitar, really bad quality, dirty and low end finish.
    I´m about to call it made in China, or even worse.
    Maybe this seems like no problem cos it was free (I doubt it was), but I expected something to match that premium instrument.
    Ok, you can put M. Monroe into a potato sack and she still looks fantastic...
    Am I just picky and should be glad bout the free case?
    I am not sure what to think.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 22, 2021
  2. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    I love that guitar! Wonderful color, looks great.

Was it not an original Gretsch case? Hard to tell from the close up images but it kind of looks like a normal case to me.

3. OzzPocket

OzzPocket Synchromatic

Aug 11, 2020
    NYS
    Looks just like my case (well, I think...your pics are all extreme closeups...lol)....But, my guitar didn't come with it (5420T)...I bought it along with the guitar.....it's an ok case....but...certainly not the best.....there's a couple spots where the vinyl wants to kind of not stay stuck down (very small areas at edges.....

But, I figured it's better than leaving it out in the open.

pilgrim and Archtops like this.
  4. DippyDave

DippyDave Electromatic

Nov 4, 2020
    Germany
    It is the original Gretsch case with metal badge on it.

5. Merc

Merc Friend of Fred

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    Looks like the standard Gretsch case that gets the job done. Will those gray dull spots come off? If not maybe contact the merchant if it bothers you. While some might consider it not picking, others say why settle. That Ltd Falcon was not cheap.

I agree that Gretsch should offer a premium case with the professional line. At least something different to match the class of a Falcon. Their vintage cases looked the part back in the day.

BBB4BC9F-9C2F-4913-BA9B-0048335C96B0.png

wizard_23 and DippyDave like this.
  6. Merc

Merc Friend of Fred

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    Btw, cool Lego colosseum in the background!

MKunie, wabash slim and DippyDave like this.
  7. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    Ah, so you're just not impressed with Gretsch cases...

8. Mogg

Mogg Electromatic

Apr 9, 2016
    UK
    Looks identical to the one that came with my 6122-59.

I certainly wouldn't let it put a dampener on your NGD - what an absolute looker that Falcon is! Congrats.

MKunie, pilgrim and DippyDave like this.
  9. juks

juks Country Gent

Nov 26, 2020
    Fremont, California
    Great guitar! If the case protects it adequately I would not worry. But your point is correct. Premium guitar should come with a premium case.

DippyDave likes this.
  10. Archtops

Archtops Country Gent

Mar 4, 2021
    SoCal
    Your new Falcon is beautiful.
    My Gretsch case also came like yours did with a few loose tolex areas. I wasn’t impressed either.

DippyDave likes this.
  11. HypotenusLuvTriangle

HypotenusLuvTriangle Country Gent

Oct 27, 2010
    Whittier, Ca
    My falcon came with a case. It was a nice case except for the fact that it wasn't built or designed to incorporate the bigsby. I'm always worried its putting way to much stress on that area when I close it.

12. DippyDave

DippyDave Electromatic

Nov 4, 2020
    Germany
    The mould King Jawa Sand Crawler is on the way already...

Merc likes this.
  13. DippyDave

DippyDave Electromatic

Nov 4, 2020
    Germany
    Not at all.

Craig Encinitas likes this.
  14. WannaGretsch

WannaGretsch Gretschie

Oct 23, 2012
    ALASKA
    Looks about the same as came with my Brian Setzer Smoke. Nothing to get excited about for sure but if it protects the guitar in transit and looks understated to curious fingers, I'm OK with it. Luckily we don't play the case! I do get your point though!

Hydroman and DippyDave like this.
  15. Back in Black

Back in Black Country Gent

Jun 22, 2020
    Ontario Canada
    DD,

First of all Dave, the case was not free!

A premium Gretsch case is included with all professional model Gretsch guitars. You're paying for it in the cost of the guitar.

Granted, it shouldn't be marked up, but that can easily be corrected with Armor-All, or some black shoe polish.

The top of the case should be contoured, and a gold colored ''Gretsch nameplate'' should be on the side of the neck end of the case. The gold colored screws/finishing washers secure the divider, on a standard Gretsch case, staples are used.

From what I can see, the case looks fine, and it's not designed for its aesthetic value, but to protect your guitar!

Inside the case is a foam wedge designed to relieve all strain on the neck, when the guitar is lying in repose.

Looks like this...

BIB

DSCF1335.JPG

Craig Encinitas, Archtops and pilgrim like this.
  16. Merc

Merc Friend of Fred

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    I looked up the King Sand Crawler. That one is massive and should be a great build. As a Star Wars fan too, I approve. Here’s a video of it in action.

On the guitar side of the thread. I’m not sure why Gretsch can sell a nicer western case (below) but not an appropriate case for the big Falcon. I mean, the Falcon has always been their Flagship guitar. They could easily do a case for only a few bucks more to get better quality like the western case. Maybe a black and gray/silver case similar to the one in the 50’s and 60’s.

0380F7D4-1A68-4F39-ACA9-F1BF1AA3117F.png 3905E491-40F8-42AE-B371-62C9253DEE2A.png

17. JC higgy

JC higgy Gretschified

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2021
    DippyDave likes this.
  18. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    Flagship should include a flagship case, yes?

Merc and DippyDave like this.
  19. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    For more Flagship pricing, sure

Fat Bastid and Back in Black like this.
  20. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    I was gonna say maybe they swapped the deluxe case for a regular one but for a falcon with the wider body I don't think there is a regular one. What does the interior look like? Grey?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.