Falcon case problem

mbkri

Country Gent
Sep 22, 2012
Chicago
Maybe its just me?
My White Falcon BARELy fits in the case. Its an 04. Its the stock case that it came in.
But BLiMEY its a tight fit. Always takes a bit of jiggling and force to get the body in and then, even with the Bigsby handle rotated to point at the base, the lid barely shuts and pushes the latches a tad out of alignment. Lots of stress on the latches. All my other Gretsches fit in their cases beautifully.
Anyone else?

mister rain

Synchromatic
Apr 23, 2020
new orleans
Maybe its just me?
My White Falcon BARELy fits in the case. Its an 04. Its the stock case that it came in.
But BLiMEY its a tight fit. Always takes a bit of jiggling and force to get the body in and then, even with the Bigsby handle rotated to point at the base, the lid barely shuts and pushes the latches a tad out of alignment. Lots of stress on the latches. All my other Gretsches fit in their cases beautifully.
Anyone else?
my 08 falcon case is tight, but not forcing it right. id say just right tight.

calebaaron666

Friend of Fred
Aug 15, 2018
Auburn, Maine
My 04 Falcon (same as yours) fits very very tightly in it’s case, but not to the point where it makes me nervous.
Since I’ve added the V cut bigsby, 1” spring, and wire handle, the lid squishes the spring a bit when it’s closed no matter how the arm is rotated. Honestly, it doesn’t bug me too much. She’s still in tune when I take her out, even if it’s been cased for weeks.

HypotenusLuvTriangle

Country Gent
Oct 27, 2010
Whittier, Ca
Nope. My G7593 has the same issue. Very snug. I have to put the bottom in first or else it won't fit properly. And the top of the case squishes the bigsby.
The case wasn't designed properly I guess.

mbkri

Country Gent
Sep 22, 2012
Chicago
Nope. My G7593 has the same issue. Very snug. I have to put the bottom in first or else it won't fit properly. And the top of the case squishes the bigsby.
The case wasn't designed properly I guess.
Exactly. I have to put the bottom end in and then PRESS the guitar down.
I wonder if theres a case that it would be happier in?

Glaw

Gretschie
Aug 30, 2017
ca.
Definitely the snuggest of my Gretschs. I too have to put the bottom first and then push it down snug. My two other ones just drop right in snug without pushing. The top doesn’t push the bigsby though, that would make me worry.

Mellowcat

Gretschie
Aug 22, 2013
VA
The Falcon and Country Club cases have a tighter fit than the 6120 cases in my experience. The Guild Jumbo-Size Acoustic case may be worth looking at if you want a change. My Falcon fits in the Guild case pretty well. It would be nice to try it out without buying if possible to see if it meets your needs. It's a looser fit. I have the premium case, and it's good. I can't speak to the quality of the "regular" case.

Last edited:

Gasee

Gretschie
Jun 4, 2009
North Wales
I just bought a Hard case for my 2420 Streamliner and it is to deep? Its a Gretsch case for that model - but it will need a T-shirt under the body for proper neck angle...

O Riley

Synchromatic
Jun 2, 2018
Beautifull Tennessee
Mine fits just right. I'm to lazy to go see what year it is right now.
But what bugged me was, the key latch was not tight enough.
So I m
Mic Givered those bits with a squished strap lock washer.
The red ones work the besties!
I just pushed her in there just enough so the tongue fit nice an tight.
Off to the races mate!

Last edited:

mbkri

Country Gent
Sep 22, 2012
Chicago
Well thats all very helpful. So I’m NOT the only one. In fact @O Riley might be the rare exception!
So I’m thinking i might cut the lining and carefully remove some of that padding all around the guitar.
No idea what its made of but i really think its too tight.

calebaaron666

Friend of Fred
Aug 15, 2018
Auburn, Maine
Yep, I didn’t mention that, but mine has to go in butt first as well. Same with my 6120 in it’s case.
I guess I like that my guitars are so snug in their cases. Makes me more confident in their safety when they get knocked when loading and unloading when gigging.

mbkri

Country Gent
Sep 22, 2012
Chicago
So i just spent 10 minutes crushing the padding, squeezing it and kneading it over and over all around the body cushioning, and it goes in easier now. Still snug but not so it has to be so firmly pressed to fit in. Im happier with that.
The cowboy case for my roundup was similar but not quite as bad.

Henry

I Bleed Orange
Apr 9, 2014
Petaluma
Well thats all very helpful. So I’m NOT the only one. In fact @O Riley might be the rare exception!
So I’m thinking i might cut the lining and carefully remove some of that padding all around the guitar.
No idea what its made of but i really think its too tight.
Maybe try a mallet or clamp and slightly squish the padding.

Oops yo u already did it.

Latest posts