Eyeing this little Gretsch

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Strato67, Jul 31, 2020.

1. Back in Black

Back in Black Country Gent

Jun 22, 2020
    Ontario Canada
    Every time I look at your profile photo, I feel like I'm replying to Gomez Addams.

This is the primary reason I tend to favor ''Artist Models'', I leave them alone, when they are the way they should be, even if they have parts on them I don't particularly like.

With standard production models, I always feel a need to personalize. Helps build the parts collection, keeps the parts suppliers in business, and gives me something to do, especially now during isolation. I didn't keep accurate track, but I spent $2300 +/_ on my Malcolm Young Salute Jet build, over the price of the guitar/case. The original Burns tailpiece took a big chunk. I did a lot better on the second one I bought.

I could have just bought a MY ''Signature'' Jet, but what's the fun in that, and besides, the ''Signature'' model isn't that accurate, more an ''Inspired By''...than an accurate replica.

This time of the year, I'm normally scuba diving, I dive with a rebreather. With the pandemic and the fact that my wife has a compromised immune system (cancer survivor), I'm very much concerned of going away diving for a few days and bringing the virus home to her.

The attached photos are me on the ship wreck ''Arabia'' in Tobermory Ontario.

So this summer, it's back with the guitars...and I'm not complaining, I have suitable in-door work space, and when the weather's nice, I work outside.

Best,

BIB.

Screenshot (12).png Screenshot (16).png

Last edited: Aug 16, 2020
    new6659 and wabash slim like this.
  2. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    :p ... you and me both . And I have a strong feeling he's not far off

3. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    You very well may be.

...and I'm quite off.

MTurner likes this.
  4. thunderbaas

thunderbaas Electromatic

Sep 22, 2019
    groningen,netherlands
    Great diving foto's B. in B !!! Gonna mod this one for sure. Of course real chrome Gretsch logo knobs. Probably a black (or maybe chrome) cover over the P90 (Going for the wood colour version) Depending on how the Gretsch P90 sounds,maybe a Lollar P90 instead. And maybe a T.V. Jones in bridge position. And upgrade the pots (CTS) & capacitor (Orange Drop) But at this price range a great Guitar to work on.

5. Strato67

Strato67 Gretschie

Oct 19, 2016
    Texas
    I played the Streamliner with P90s yesterday. It was a weird greenish color. Had a gold hardware with the Bigsby. It was not a good guitar. I wanted to like it. Just felt super cheap.

6. thunderbaas

thunderbaas Electromatic

Sep 22, 2019
    groningen,netherlands
    Well have been plaiyng my new Gretsch G2215-P90 Strml Jr. Jet Club now for two months. It sure is an excellent rock axe. The p90 in the neck position is a thrill to play,especially with distortion. And the combination of the 2 pick ups is great too (after adjusting the Pick Up height) As for the looks. I got rid of the plastic pickguard/plastic knobs / plastic switch tip & plastic cream coloured bridge Pick Up ring. Replaced it with genuine metal Gretsch parts. Left of the pickguard. Thinks the guitar looks quite allright now. Upper picture is how it was,lower picture is how it is now.
    20210123_153939.jpg 20210122_155515.jpg

Last edited: Jan 25, 2021
    new6659 likes this.
  7. rplcmint

rplcmint Electromatic

Jan 31, 2021
    Portland, OR
    They call me 'Slow Hands". [We don't need no stinkin' penguin!]

I bought this back in November for $300 out the door. I went for the "screwless" BroadTron mod and switched knobs with my wood grain telecaster. Looks better this way and sounds brighter; this little guitar rocks!

It's a good alternative to an older Silvertone or Danelectro U2 which now sell in the $600+ range. It has the Gibson Les Paul Jr look for sure and that's cool too!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 31, 2021
    new6659 and Henry like this.
  8. thunderbaas

thunderbaas Electromatic

Sep 22, 2019
    groningen,netherlands
    Hello there rplcmint
    I'm curious, what is the "screwless" Broadtron mod ( a link maybe?) ? I really like my G2215-P90. Think that the P90 in this neck position with Nato body sounds excellent. Better than the neck position in my PRS with Seymour Duncan P90's. (might change those in the future for Seymour's Antiquity's P90 though) Gretsch nailed a perfect P90 sound with this one (Does Gretsch make these,or do they come from another factory ?). I have not decided yet with what I'm going to do with the Braodtron. Maybe a TV Jones ? I like the combi sound of the Broadtron & P90 rather well. But I had to adjust the Pick Up hights quite a bit. But that's also a matter of personal taste of course. Still the "G2215-P90" is a great Rock axe ,and/or modding platform for a verry decent price !

9. thunderbaas

thunderbaas Electromatic

Sep 22, 2019
    groningen,netherlands
    Hello there rplcmint
    I'm curious, what is the "screwless" Broadtron mod ( a link maybe?) ? I really like my G2215-P90. Think that the P90 in this neck position with Nato body sounds excellent (good sustain). Better than the neck position in my PRS with Seymour Duncan P90's. (might change those in the future for Seymour's Antiquity's P90 though) Gretsch nailed a perfect P90 sound with this one (Does Gretsch make these,or do they come from another factory ?). I have not decided yet with what I'm going to do with the Braodtron. Maybe a TV Jones ? I like the combi sound of the Broadtron & P90 rather well. But I had to adjust the Pick Up hights quite a bit. But that's also a matter of personal taste of course. Still the "G2215-P90" is a great Rock axe ,and/or modding platform for a verry decent price !

10. thunderbaas

thunderbaas Electromatic

Sep 22, 2019
    groningen,netherlands
    Unfortunately entered the post a second time. How do I remove a post from this Forum ?

11. rplcmint

rplcmint Electromatic

Jan 31, 2021
    Portland, OR
    "Screwless" meaning only 6 totally screws used on the two magnets for the Broadtron pickup. 3 screws on one magnet for E, A, D strings....3 screws on second magnet for G, B, E. Effectively it's a single coil with noise cancellation. It brightened up the tone for the pickup which saved me $150 for now!

thunderbaas likes this.
  12. thunderbaas

thunderbaas Electromatic

Sep 22, 2019
    groningen,netherlands
    Thanks for the info rplcmint. Interesting modification. Might be usefull to me in future mods.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.