Excessive network activity

OldCowHand

Country Gent
Sep 24, 2015
Kent, England.
Since approx. 2016-04-27 20:00 GMT G-T has been almost unusable. Huge amounts of network traffic start as soon as a page is loaded, whether logged in or not. As soon as the page is closed the traffic stops. Typing and navigation are almost impossible. All other sites are fine.

It has taken three logins and logouts to type this, and I had to cut and paste this text from another application.

gretsch-talk

Synchromatic
May 26, 2008
Hill Country, TX
About the only thing I can say in reply to this is... ???

Not sure what you're seeing, what you're reporting or what "network traffic" you are referring to.

We have zero other reports of any anomalies of any kind.

OldCowHand

Country Gent
Sep 24, 2015
Kent, England.
About the only thing I can say in reply to this is... ???

Not sure what you're seeing, what you're reporting or what "network traffic" you are referring to.

We have zero other reports of any anomalies of any kind.
I have fixed the problem within the last five minutes by blocking traffic to and from u.openx.net and partnerad.l.doubleclick.net. They, between them, were sending and receiving at a rate that practically disabled browsing in Safari.

I made a screen capture showing the activity when the G-T page was opened and closed and showing the % CPU resources used if you are interested in seeing it, let me know.

markeebee

Country Gent
Apr 27, 2010
Forever Malcolm Young
I can't really offer any help, other than report that I haven't noticed any issues at all and I'm geographically as close to Graham as pretty much anyone on the forum.

EDIT: Sorry, disregard my post, I notice that Graham has got his technological boogie on. Good work, wish I understood what you said.

OldCowHand

Country Gent
Sep 24, 2015
Kent, England.
I can't really offer any help, other than report that I haven't noticed any issues at all and I'm geographically as close to Graham as pretty much anyone on the forum.

EDIT: Sorry, disregard my post, I notice that Graham has got his technological boogie on. Good work, wish I understood what you said.
Put in simple terms, one or both those two domains were generating sends and receives at a rate that virtually disabled Safari. The reason I was the only one to have a problem is not clear, but it could be due to my fairly tight firewall. They were not taking no for an answer and bombarding the connection with requests. Tantamount to a Denial of Service attack, really.

Since blocking them, all is fine.

gretsch-talk

Synchromatic
May 26, 2008
Hill Country, TX
Those are two of the largest advertising exchanges in the world. You would see those two at virtually every website on the internet that has advertising. When I say largest... doubleclick is Google. Which is the largest ad exchange in the World and OpenX is number two.

If those two are causing you problems here - they would also cause you problems everywhere else on the internet. So, we don't know what it is about your settings that is creating a problem for you here.

stevo

Friend of Fred
May 1, 2012
Atlanta
Put in simple terms, one or both those two domains were generating sends and receives at a rate that virtually disabled Safari. The reason I was the only one to have a problem is not clear, but it could be due to my fairly tight firewall. They were not taking no for an answer and bombarding the connection with requests. Tantamount to a Denial of Service attack, really.

Since blocking them, all is fine.

FYI Opera for Mac has an extension called Ghostery that allows you to block any tracker on the fly.

wabash slim

I Bleed Orange
Feb 10, 2010
lafayette in
I had trouble trying to post last night. I figured it was just my fat fingers and an IPad, or, sludge in the Interwebs pipes. All seems well now.

gretsch-talk

Synchromatic
May 26, 2008
Hill Country, TX
When one person sees an issue that no one else sees and can't be recreated with other users or the Admin then we don't have anyway to treat the issue as an issue of ours. Not being snotty - that's just the reality.

As an FYI, we back up our servers twice every morning around 2 am Eastern US time at our webhost in Quebec and off-site in Boston. This takes up to 15 mins and may interfere with posting as the various database tables are locked.

Roger49

Country Gent
Feb 18, 2015
Germany
Well I know very little about Gretsch guitars and even less about how to play them (or any other guitar come to that) but this is definitely the first thread on GT where I haven't understood a single word.