Everest (2015)

ZackyDog

Friend of Fred
Feb 6, 2015
In the USA

This movie is now on HBO. I put it on in the background while I was internet surfing.

Maybe I don't have the right attitude but...it looked like miserable experience. I saw people shivering, getting frost-bitten, having trouble breathing (e.g. fighting for their lives), and struggling to scale the world's highest peak (29,029 feet). I suppose it would be more exhilarating if you could breathe on your own up there, without the need for an oxygen tank(s)? I guess people like the view up there, and the death-defying challenge? Incidentally, 22 people died last year trying to climb it. I read that the dead bodies are actually used as landmarks.

Conversely, maybe these mountain climbers find that playing Gretsch guitars, is not the best use of one's recreational time?

Marten Richens

Gretschie
Jan 22, 2016
Exeter
This is one of my (many) bugbears. I get really p15sed off when people go off and do 'extreme' sports and think they are better than they actually are Then when they inevtiably get into trouble, the emergency services have to risk their lives bailing them out. I think there should be some sort of waiver; if you go out in a hurricane in a 2 man dinghy, it's your own stupid fault!

And if mountian climbers do think playing a Gretsch is not the best use of one's time, then surely that is testament to their lack of intellegence?

audept

Senior Gretsch-Talker
Dec 1, 2010
Sydney, Australia
I get altitude sickness, and it's not pleasant. I nearly had a heart attack on a mountain in Bhutan a few years back. It was barely 4,000 metres (just over 13,000 ft). It changed my mind about visiting Lhasa in Tibet. I need oxygen.

wabash slim

I Bleed Orange
Feb 10, 2010
lafayette in
Well, they climb the mountain 'because it's there". I've never been impressed with "stunts". You get yourself into trouble, then get yourself out. Endangering yourself is one thing; putting others in harm's way is just selfish and ignorant.

"Hold my beer and watch this!"

ampe

Country Gent
May 11, 2011
belgium
I saw that movie in the theaters when it just came out, it was strange because before the break it was like a happy movie, and after the break the **** hit the fan real bad real fast and people started dying out of nowhere.
I get how people want to push themselves to the limit, but that was clearly way over.

Lucydix

Gretschie
Oct 24, 2015
I read the book this was based on. The actual story is even more depressing. For the life of me, I cant figure out why people do this. On the way up, they have to pass the frozen bodies of those who didnt make it. You would think that would be the "light bulb" moment to not go further! The mountain will always win.

ZackyDog

Friend of Fred
Feb 6, 2015
In the USA
Human beings simply aren't built to function at the cruising altitude of a 747.

Incidentally last year was a record for Mt. Everest: 22 deaths. :(

Henry

I Bleed Orange
Apr 9, 2014
Petaluma
Sounds miserable.

But the part that amuses me is that for us outsiders, this is a BIG DEAL. Yet the big deal is only made possible by the Sherpas who carry all the tourist's gear - over and over again as a job, without the fancy technical clothes and equipment.

ZackyDog

Friend of Fred
Feb 6, 2015
In the USA
Sounds miserable.

But the part that amuses me is that for us outsiders, this is a BIG DEAL. Yet the big deal is only made possible by the Sherpas who carry all the tourist's gear - over and over again as a job, without the fancy technical clothes and equipment.

I had to consult Wikipedia.

ZackyDog

Friend of Fred
Feb 6, 2015
In the USA
This 48 year-old CT woman has climbed it 10 times(!)

juks

Country Gent
Nov 26, 2020
Fremont, California
If you want to see amazing crazy story of Mt Everest tragedy, check out Into the void. Will to live of the one guy was beyond unbelievable.

Buddy of mine used to do hard core mountain climbing after he graduated. He told me that more than 50% of the climbers he knew had died. Crazy stuff.

calebaaron666

Friend of Fred
Aug 15, 2018
Auburn, Maine
I saw this in the theater, but only cuz the ol’ lady thought it make for a fun IMAX 3D experience, and it did. It had some pretty dazzling visuals, but the drama seemed silly to me, since, ya know, no one was forcing those lunatics to do what they're doing.
It’s definitely not a movie I’d ever watch again. Not really my type of cinema.

I keep my hiking to the white mountains in NH. 4000 footers ain’t gonna kill ya! However, I did get caught in a sudden and nasty snow storm on Mount Washington in August. It was my first “white out”.
That was memorable.

Back in Black

Country Gent
Jun 22, 2020
Ontario Canada
Well, they climb the mountain 'because it's there". I've never been impressed with "stunts". You get yourself into trouble, then get yourself out. Endangering yourself is one thing; putting others in harm's way is just selfish and ignorant.

"Hold my beer and watch this!"

Slim,

I've been tracking annual climbs for years.

The increasingly higher annual death tolls have a lot to do with the mountain attempting to be tackled by less and less experienced climbers.

Brokers are now hiring ''experienced'' guides to try and get the ''unknowing'' to the summit, and when the guides can't make it, what chance to the inexperienced climbers have.

Like taking a person who has never been in the water as a diver, down to the Andrea Doria.

They think their money will keep them safe.

The mountain does not know dollar buying power.

If you want to walk through a cemetery in the snow, there are a lot easier ways to do it.

Best,

BIB.