Ever meet someone famous but not realize it until later?

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by GreTschocaster, Sep 5, 2020.

1. xtcclassic

xtcclassic Gretschie

Jan 9, 2019
    Missouri
    Damn dude you met HENDRIX?! I’ve got a lot of great stories about meeting rock stars but Hendrix is a whole different level even above some of the other awesome people you’ve met. I wish you’d had a smartphone too!

GreTschocaster likes this.
  2. capnhiho

capnhiho Synchromatic

Feb 16, 2013
    California
    ....and Jimi was definitely a vintage meeting too!

3. speedicut

speedicut Friend of Fred

Jun 5, 2012
    Alabama
    Years ago I was in Eutaw, Alabama (population about 2000). I went into the only restaurant in town, put my order in with the owner ( a friend) and headed to the men's room to wash my hands. On the way I saw a pretty girl, youngish, and she was apparently there with her father. I gave her a look and sat down to eat since my sandwich was ready.
    after a few minutes the owner came up to me and asked me if I would tell the couple how far it wa to New Orleans. I said yes and looked st the old man and found myself looking at Robert Duvall! We chatted a few minutes until they finished eating and left. I was amazed at how every one in the place ignored him... I figured he was a regular and they must have been used to seeing him. Turns out, I was the only person in the restaurant that recognized him.
    He was headed to NO to film The Apostle...

S. Rock likes this.
  4. PDMan

PDMan Electromatic

Dec 26, 2016
    Nashville, TN
    My wife and I went to see the Brian Setzer Christmas tour a couple of years back. We had really good seats - about three rows from the stage. There's this guy sitting in front of us and I notice people keep walking by and staring at him and taking pictures. Honestly, we didn't recognize the guy, but my wife never met a stranger so she strikes up a conversation with him. She talked with him a bit through the night. At the end, she says she wants to have her picture taken with him - okay be me I said, still not knowing him but thinking he looks familiar. Turns out it was Tom Petersson from Cheap Trick.

S. Rock likes this.
  5. afire

afire Country Gent

If I have, I still haven't realized it. I've had very few celebrity sightings. Whoopi Goldberg in an airport, George Wendt at a Walgreens here in Madison. But being of college age in the mid to late '90s, when I'd visit my hometown of Appleton, WI and go out to the bars, it was not at all uncommon to run into an inebriated Brett Favre. One night we were out the night before a Packers game, and there was Brett, obviously annihilated. One of my friends walked up to him and said "What the _____ are you doing? You should be at GD Lambeau Field throwing footballs through a tire right now!" He just stared blankly, and then my girlfriend gave him a kiss.

6. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Well yes and no, in August 1997 I’m at Universal studios in California. Got done working And a guy I work with had never been there and we decide to get done early and go. So we are in line for a ride, no idea which one but it was close to a big fence keeping everyone out of the other areas. A Dodge Viper Is driving by stops door cracks open and someone yells hey John! My friend says someone is yelling at you. I said no there a a lot of Johns. I mean who would I know in a fairly pricey car driving around restricted areas of Universal Studios? Well next they yell Hey Bertotti! I only see a hand I yell hey! And wave and they drive off. To this day I have no idea who it was. It still drives me nuts!

S. Rock and speedicut like this.
  7. CalicoSkies

CalicoSkies Gretschie

Nov 18, 2019
    Hillsboro, OR, USA
    I haven't, but I've heard Linus Torvalds (creator of Linux, if you're familiar) lives in my metro area. I sometimes wonder if I might see him somewhere, but I haven't.

8. Dan Bates

Dan Bates Newbie

Feb 22, 2018
    Fresno, CA
    I went to an Elton John concert in 1971. I had two of his albums and loved them. I didn't realize he was standing next to my friend and I while we talked to the soundman. He was short and had short hair. On his albums his hair was longer. We didn't realize it was him until he walked up on to the stage.

9. speedicut

speedicut Friend of Fred

Jun 5, 2012
    Alabama
    While in college I worked stage crew and lighting (usually on a Super Trouper follow spot) and managed to meet many famous people but always knew who they were.
    But, once we were doing a show at the stadium with tons of artists and a buddy of mine were standing on the football field talking to this pretty girl in a parka. When she walked away she told us to have a good show and that's when I realized it was Crystal Gayle.... her famous long hair was tucked into her parka or we would've recognized her right off.

10. larsjen

larsjen Electromatic

Nov 11, 2014
    Laguna Niguel, CA
    I needed some work done on an amp and a friend suggested a small repair place in Orange, CA. It turned out that the guy who repaired the amp was Billy Zoom. Excellent work.

GreTschocaster and Bertotti like this.
  11. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    It was me. No autographs! :)

Bertotti likes this.
  12. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I worked with a guy from Vietnam that was a movie director but the English was too good for it to be him. Obviously 23 years later it still drives me nuts. I had my chance at that life and turned it down no regrets but doggone who was it!

13. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    Strange.

14. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Nope. Never met anyone particularly famous that I know. Closest was at a show for Cat Power. Was listening to the opening band, near the stage, dancing a little. Suddenly someone grabs me by the sides, not violent but rather forceful, and more with the fingers than the hand - I jump because it tickled and shocked me. I spin around expecting it to be my wife (my girlfriend then), but it was another pretty young lady. I kinda smile and move aside to give her (and me) some room. She dances off to mess with someone else.

Afterwards, my wife whispers excitedly to me, that was Cat Power! I guess I was goosed by Cat Power.

15. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Oh, Ive seen Randall Smith, founder of Mesa, a couple times at the local grocery store. Next time I will try to say Hi.

16. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Mostly in supermarkets or at airport gates, so it doesn’t fully register(Nah, it can’t be!)
    Not sure I really care. They’re not there for me aren’t they?

17. cqscqs

cqscqs Gretschie

Dec 8, 2013
    midwest
    I had one more, last one. This was in the 80's, I was on my honeymoon, we went to Miami Beach. Just walking around we stumbled on a Miami Vice set. So we stayed and watched and enjoyed it. Don Johnson wasn't there but Philip Micheal Thomas was- they were filming a stunt. Philip runs by this car, and the driver opens the door. So Philip runs up, stops short of the door, and 'cut'. Then they bring his poor stunt double in, who runs up and flips over the door. They did that twice. Ha.
    As we left, we cut down an alley of sorts, and here comes a huge Mercedes. We had to scramble to the side of the alley. Inside of course is Don Johnson. He caught our eye, and smiled at us, seemed friendly.

18. Thass

Thass Electromatic

Dec 29, 2019
    Palm Desert
    I was invited to a golf tournament and the night before there was a dinner to meet people and to raise money, my wife and I decided to go. I got a plate of food and sat down at a table with a few other people that I didn’t know. A band was playing so I started a conversation with an older gentleman about the band. It didn’t take long before it was clear he was in the music business but I didn’t really press him on it. I found out later i was talking to Trini Lopez. But the worst one for me, was when I found out Hal Blaine was my neighbor after he died. Seems the inside of his house was a museum of music memorabilia. Argh!!! I could have listened to his stories for days!!

19. markeebee

markeebee Country Gent

Two stories that will only mean anything to Brits......

I play football every Wednesday evening with a bunch of other 50 somethings (we were 40 somethings when we started doing it). It was four years before someone told me that Dave (terrible left back) was the bloke that does the voiceover on Come Dine With Me.

And I once made a promotional video with the feller that says "MIND THE GAP!" on the underground, but I didn't know until some time later.

20. fredberry

fredberry Electromatic

Jan 17, 2017
    Los Angeles
    Through a freak set of circumstances in March 1984, I was given the opportunity to implement the first digital timer clock for the 56th Academy Awards show. This was the first awards show in history to use a computer-generated graphic timer clock to notify awardees how much time they had to give their speeches before time was up. The 30 second countdown clock was displayed on a large screen TV in front of the stage and was controlled by the assistant director who had the discretion to activate it or not depending on the importance of the award.

The initial program was written in assembly language under DOS (on my IBM PC) using a then-new graphic software package called DR Halo. Modifications were made after demonstrating it for the director, Marty Pasetta (directed and produced Elvis' Aloha from Hawaii) at the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion. For three days prior to the show I would sit in Johnny Carson's dressing room modifying and testing the code and, when on break, would watch the rehearsals and other activity going on.

It was necessary for me to be backstage during the show in case anything went wrong with the clock. I will relate some of these stories in a future post but, suffice it to say, they include Frank Sinatra, Cary Grant, Gene Kelly, Shirley MacLaine, Cheech and Chong and my favorite, Shirley Temple.

In March 2015, Marty Pasetta was killed in a freak car accident in La Quinta, Ca. Upon learning of this I contacted the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Science to find out if they knew about the clock, etc. The lady I was talking to said that they were aware of it and had tracked it back to 1987. I then gave her the whole history after which she asked me if I had proof. I said I did and told her what it was. Her response caught me by surprise when she then said "We would like to host you here. When can you visit us?" We agreed on a day in June when I was able to take my wife and two grand kids (we lived in San Diego County at the time). That was a memorable day for us all with photos of both my wife and grand kids holding an Oscar! I'll post one of the photos in the near future.

The digital timer clock has since become a staple element of almost all award shows. Just last week at the 55th CMA awards Thomas Rhett referred to it by saying '...I have 27 seconds left...' when he starts his acceptance speech.

Fred Berry
    (AKA son of Chuck and Rerun)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.