Ever meet someone famous but not realize it until later?

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by GreTschocaster, Sep 5, 2020.

1. Back in Black

Back in Black Gretschie

Jun 22, 2020
    Ontario Canada
    GT,

Long before the mans life went sideways, I was on the steps a Caesar's Place, when this white suited blur, bumped my shoulder and flew down the stairs past me.

Someone in the crowd yelled ''Hey Juice''.

My wife who was a couple of steps behind me said...''that was OJ''.

It happened so fast, although he bumped me, I didn't see him.

In the late 1970's I ran into Kris Kristopherson and ''The Village People'' during flight changes to the Middle East (Iraq, Saudi Arabia).

Kristopherson used to fly back and forth to Saudi Arabia quite often, at that time, his father was an executive with ARAMCO.

BIB.

GreTschocaster likes this.
  2. Highroller

Highroller Synchromatic

Jun 11, 2015
    Portland, OR
    Lived in LA for almost 10 years back in my youth and worked retail in West LA. It wasn't unusual for celebs to drop by the shop. It's just the nature of the neighborhood. This is where they live, you're gonna run into them.

One day this red haired guy comes in and we start talking, perfectly normal conversation, he winds up buying a bunch of stuff. It isn't until he hands me his credit card that I look down and see the name: Danny Elfman!

OMG! I love this guy's work!

I just rolled with it, didn't make a big deal about it. He wound up becoming a regular customer for a few years. He's only ... a little bit weird! LoL!

GreTschocaster and larryr like this.
  3. xtcclassic

xtcclassic Gretschie

Jan 9, 2019
    Missouri
    I’ve met a ton of famous people (mostly the rock star variety), but the only person I met and didn’t realize it until later was an actress. I was at a NAMM show in LA (this was a year when for some reason the show was at the Staples Center) and PRS was having a private event at a theater one evening. A buddy of mine worked for Ampeg at the time and he wanted to go to the PRS show so I got him a pass. He got there before I did, and when I got there and found him, he was standing in a group of people and was talking to some girl. I walked up, said hi, small-talked for a bit, and headed for the bar for a beer. When I got back to my buddy, the girl was gone. He told me “Joey thought you were cute.” I of course thought he was talking about some dude so I laughed it off. He then asked me “Did you not realize who that was?” Umm, nooo... “That was Joey Lauren Allen.” This was around the time that the movie Mallrats had come out and I had a massive crush on her. I literally stood two feet from her for probably 3-4 minutes talking to my buddy and never realized it was her. Didn’t see her the rest of the evening. :mad:

4. latetotheparty

latetotheparty Gretschie

Mar 18, 2018
    Omaha
    I was at a familiar guitar shop where the owner is my friend. I spend many lunch hours there. Sometimes I watch the counter while he’s stocking or in the back office Etc.

One day man about 55 walks in with his wife. Just looking around. Pleasant. On a road trip. Seeing the country. Interested in guitars.

I start chatting. Talking up the shop, pitching guitars, comparing low end vs high end. Man is NICE AS CAN BE while I show him around. 10-15 minutes this guy politely follows my lead, patiently asking questions, making nothing out of himself. Compliments the instruments. Compliments the shop.

Owner friend walks back in from stock room. His jaw drops.

I had been playing expert with ... Steve Wariner. Yeah. Gretsch artist Steve Wariner Chet CGP Steve Wariner. Multiple Grammy Winner Steve Wariner

He was a cool gentleman. Stayed another hour playing guitars and conversing. Never gave me any grief.

and I’m proud to say 2 years later I got the very first SW signature Model Gretsch for sale in America.

GreTschocaster and G5422T like this.
  5. BrianW

BrianW Synchromatic

Oct 21, 2014
    Vancouver Island
    Back in the day - woulda been about '76 - I was teaching flying at a little airport just east of Vancouver. Had a student that impressed me enough that I can still remember him. Talented pilot!
    He told me that he was smashing bags at YVR for an airline but wanted to move "up" as it were. Often wonder if he got into flight as a career.
    I moved on shortly after and met/flew lots of bigger name types. Most were quite pleasant, but one that sticks out in my mind was almost tripping over Mr Bob Hope. Had a short chat with him and it was like talking to a good friend. Very amiable man.

6. OzzPocket

OzzPocket Gretschie

Aug 11, 2020
    NYS
    I've met a few famous folks, but was always aware of who they were....

The only "surprise" celeb meeting took place at a mid-high end stereo shop I used to hang out at....The owner and I had become friends over the years, and I always had an interest in audio, so spent many MANY hours in there with him listening to and comparing different speakers, amps, pre-amps....etc....

The economy in my local area had tanked for a number of reasons, so his shop was often empty, or with only a customer or two in there...and one day, he and I were in the back room (where all the speakers and various amps were set up for testing), and this guy and his girlfriend came in and started looking around....he started talking to us, and the first thing I noticed was the accent....he was asking about some speakers.....he looked vaguely familiar to me, but I knew I didn't know him as an acquaintance....

Finally, I said....."Dude, you seem familiar to me, but I know I don't know you...help me out".....turns out it was Francis Dunnery (who, if you're not familiar with him as he's not really a "household name", was singer and lead guitarist for the band "It Bites" back in the 80's....but has done some work with Robert Plant, Santana, some of the guys from YES, and others and I guess he also auditioned to be the new lead singer for Genesis when Phil Collins left...

Strangely, I actually had a CD of his in my car that a friend had recently given me (Tall Blonde Helicopter).....which he was kind enough to sign for me (I think he was actually surprised I had it).....He spent some time there....he was really getting on well with the owner ("Frank" had a very sarcastic wit about him, and Francis couldn't seem to get enough of it).

Really nice guy...

7. GAMBLER1234

GAMBLER1234 Gretschie

Jan 18, 2018
    Henderson Nevada
    It was back in the 60's and was 16 hitch hiking in Studio City California when an older guy with white hair stopped and gave me a ride. We had a nice casual conversation along the way and when he dropped me off I realized that he was Lorne Greene the star of the TV series Bonanza. Stupidly I asked him how the show was going, he said fine and that was it.

new6659, GreTschocaster and S. Rock like this.
  8. cqscqs

cqscqs Gretschie

Dec 8, 2013
    midwest
    I worked on staff at a huge corporation as a film writer/director. Those on staff jobs are gone now. We'd do promotions for the various brands and bring in spokes people. Sports usually. Worked with Whitey Ford, Curley Neal, John Havlicek, etc. They were always nice. One time, I got an assignment to travel to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, and interview people as they came out, on camera, about a new product coming out. Long story but there was a connection between the product and the Hall of Fame.
    At one point two guys come out in jeans and shades and long hair. They had the look of rock stars. I feel like I could recognize as many rock personalities as the next guy. But I didn't know these guys and assumed they were just 'normal people' enjoying the museum. As they walked off, the one said to the other "he didn't know who you are!".
    I took that tape back to the shop (it is gone now, the shop and the tape) and showed it to everyone, No one recognized them. If anyone interviews you and a buddy, as you walk off, say "he didn't know who you are!" That'll get his curiosity up!

JeffreyLeePierre likes this.
  9. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    So you’re that guy! I’d comment on this, but then you might figure out who I really am. :)

OzzPocket and cqscqs like this.
  10. Wozob

Wozob Country Gent

Jul 6, 2014
    The Netherlands
    I met Herman Brood in a train somewhere in the ‘90s. I realised it was him, but I didn’t bother him. It’s what I would’ve wanted if I was him.

Ricochet and Michels911 like this.
  11. dr. love

dr. love Gretschie

Jun 2, 2008
    Texas
    I haven’t personally (that I know of) but witnessed an unrecognized fame moment firsthand. Kevin Nealon was staying in a hotel I worked. The van driver as they were walking out to take him to the airport says “You look just like that guy from Saturday Night Live”. Kevin Nealon says “Yeah I get that a lot” and looks back at us at the desk laughing with a “what the ?!” expression on his face. It was hilarious.

12. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    It’s funny, because I would see a Kevin Nealon lookalike selling newspapers, pretty much every day, for years. If I ever run into Kevin Nealon, I’ll be sure to say: “You look familiar. Aren’t you that guy that used to sell newspapers in Tucson?” I bet he doesn’t get that a lot. :)

dr. love likes this.
  13. longtimer

longtimer Newbie

Jan 14, 2014
    woodstock il
    my first post ever but it was 1968 or 69 standing in line at the filmore west.Don't remember who was playing but I looked over and standing next to me was a guy in a purple velvet suit. It was Frank Zappa waiting to get in like everyone else! Longtimer

14. cqscqs

cqscqs Gretschie

Dec 8, 2013
    midwest
    I had one more. I was at 'Shutters', a high end hotel in Santa Monica (paid for by the company I was working with at the time). I was waiting for the crew to bring the car around, standing in the loading zone. I noticed a couple people staring at me, I thought. I got in the car and someone said "did you speak to him?" I said "who?". She said " you were standing right next to Pierce Brosnan!". I figured it out, they were staring at HIM and I hadn't even noticed him!

15. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Friend of Fred

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    About 15 years ago, one of Jack White’s bands was playing in Portland, Maine. He was walking around town the afternoon of the show.
    I was waiting at a cross-walk with a gal friend of mine and I guess Jack was standing 4 ft away from us.
    She whispered in my ear excitedly “Wow, that’s Jack White!”
    and I said.... very loudly “Who the (blank) is JACK WHITE?!”
    Cuz I honestly didn’t know him from Adam.
    My friend was mortified, but said she saw him grin when I said I didn’t know who he was. Maybe I was the only person under the age of 30 that didn’t.

I live in a musical vacuum and it’s rare I let anything new in. I’m not afraid of being out of touch.:D

16. JeffreyLeePierre

JeffreyLeePierre Country Gent

Welcome to Gretsch-Talk @longtimer

Are you a Gretsch owner or a wannabe Gretsch owner?

Edit-- woooo! Actually a member since 2014 and here's your first post! Champagne!!!

17. S. Rock

S. Rock Friend of Fred

ok, I'll chime in.

back from 1979 to Jun 7th, 1982, I worked at a motorcycle shop in Ruston, Louisiana. I drove the pickup/delivery truck plus other things around the shop. well, one day I came back in off the road from a delivery. I noticed this customer and a friend of his had came in and they were finally picking up this old piece of junk ATC110. it had been there for quite some time and it would get in the way and we'd have to move it to get to other bikes. anyway, as I pulled in and parked the truck, the customer came over to help me unload my truck. the truck was equipped with a "Tommylift" tailgate. so, I really didn't need any help. so, I asked the customer to get back out of my way. as the tailgate lowered, the customer remarked, "smart guy,huh ?". (note : the language that we were speaking has been "cleaned up") after this, the customer and his friend had loaded up and headed out down the driveway and waved as they left. so, I finished doing what I was doing and went into the Service Shop office. I commented to the Shop foreman, " the people that try to help you load and unload bikes off that "tommylift". "who was that guy anyway ?" the Shop foreman said, "Bert Jones"(he had just left the Baltimore Colts NFL football team.) what ??? and I told him to get out of my way. I shook my head.

18. amp360

amp360 Gretschie

Oct 21, 2012
    Maryland
    Yes. Last year I got hired to play a show for some guy J Galvan (or something like that). I was backstage hanging out and some incoherent young girl was talking to me about a track I had played on that featured someone she liked. I had no clue what she was saying or who she was.

I went to the bathroom and looked over and thought Tom Brady was taking a leak next to me. He looked a lot smaller than I remembered him being from TV. It was Justin Beiber.

The Galvan guy's songs were mostly in Spanish (I think). I have no idea why Cardi B and Bieber were there hanging out.

19. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    When I worked at Sam Goody in the late 90’s I rang someone up at the register. Afterwards, a coworker asked me if I knew who that was. Nope. Apparently it was Doug Flutie who played in the NFL and Canadian football league. Being from his hometown Natick, of course I knew the name but not the face.

At the time we were also selling some CDs in store for his band with proceeds going to charity. He played drums I think and it may have been for Autism. The next time he came in I treated him no different and as if I didn’t know.

20. TeleRooo

TeleRooo Electromatic

Mar 19, 2017
    Tiger Mt.
    I met The Kinks after their show in Seattle, 60's their first USA Tour. I had a friend I grew up with and we met and indulged with members of Jefferson Airplane, Grateful Dead, and other SF groups late 60's early 70's. Allman Bros. w/ Duane when they played at GoldCreekPark, Woodenville. I met Willie Dixon, Albert Collins, Sugercane Harris, Sunny Terry & Brownie McGhee, members of Dan Hicks Hot Licks, at the FreshAir Tavern early 70's. Howlin Wolf twice, Lightning Hopkins with his two girl friends at a Blues Festival at Seattle Sick's Stadium, 70's. Sick's Stadium is also the last place I saw Hendrix play Live 1970. He gave me his guitar pick. I also wish they had phones with cameras back then. I would have one hell of a catalog of pics.

xtcclassic and GreTschocaster like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.