Ever meet someone famous but not realize it until later?

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by GreTschocaster, Sep 5, 2020.

1. GreTschocaster

GreTschocaster Gretschie

Feb 11, 2013
    Canada
    So way back in 1975 or 76 I was working in Vancouver Canada for an airline called CP Air. I was working as a baggage/cargo handler loading and unloading planes. The disco craze was still happening and if you wanted to meet ladies you had to put up with the music. Consequently I wasn't paying a lot of attention to other music genres at the time.
    So I am working on a flight arrival and the lead hand who knows I play guitar comes up to me and says go in the cargo hold and get a guitar case. So Clint and I go in there and there is a bunch of equipment with the band name stenciled on it. Well Clint gets all excited and I am thinking what a stupid name for a band, oblivious to who they were.
    I find the guitar case and take it into the baggage arrivals area. There are 3 dudes standing there. They are all wearing those long Australian oil skin coats almost touching the ground, cowboy boots, cowboy hats and those skinny string neck ties with a large turquoise stone, turquoise rings, long beards etc etc. I figure they must be some country music band. They come over to me and one thanks me and takes the guitar case and we strike up a conversation when I ask about what kind of guitar it was. He tells me it is a Gibson Les Paul and they are playing a concert tomorrow. It was also Superbowl that day and Dallas happened to be in it. They joked that if Dallas didn't win they wouldn't play the concert.
    So I get in my car and on the way home I have the radio on and this awesome song comes on called Tush. At the end of the song the disc jockey says that was ZZ Top who are playing tomorrow at the Pacific Coliseum. I became a huge fan at that moment.
    If you were wondering Dallas lost the Superbowl but they still played the concert.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2020
    Rmccamey, S. Rock, MrWookiee and 7 others like this.
  2. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Very cool . In my area that I cover at the P.D. , we have a certain area where a lot of famous people live / some live there part time and part time in California . Like you @GreTschocaster , I've always found it to just be yourself when meeting the famous . Some of the folks I've met along the way are :

* Al Pacino ( needs no intro )
    * Charlie Callas ( comic mostly of Disney fame )
    * DiDi Conn ( there should be 100 more people in the world like her , proud to call her my friend )
    * Chita Rivera ( a sweetheart of a woman , enjoyed her stories she told me of the Beatles )
    * Bill Murray ( no comment , but an ok guy )
    * Tom Chapin ( harry Chapin brother and a musician in his own right )
    * NY Yankees C.C Sabathia ( he's a big dude but a gentle giant )
    * Les Paul ( a wonderful man )
    * Nat Fein ( I was friends with him . He took that famous photo of Babe Ruth with Babe's back to the camera )
    * A.J. Croce ( Jim Croce's son )

I bet the boys of ZZ Top are ...well , just good ole boys ;)
    Treat them like ordinary people and they'll respect you more

GreTschocaster likes this.
  3. oneforsorrow

oneforsorrow Gretschie

May 15, 2020
    Iowa
    I once got asked if I wanted to go to a pre-concert gathering with the possibility of getting into the show itself. A friend within our groups of friends worked at a record store and moonlighted with a small label/promotions outfit in Dallas. She said she could get us into the pre-show reception for sure and would try to get tickets for the show. I'd never heard of the band but 4 of us tagged along with her. At the pre-show event, it was the 5 of us, 3 other young women, the 3 members of the band and their tour manager. We ate from a buffet and drank a ton of Shiner bock. Never spoke to anyone but ourselves. It was basically 3 groups of people milling among themselves with no interaction with the others. Not much of a party. When the show was about to start, our friend had 2 tickets only so the remaining 3 of us left without being able to get in to the show. Turns out the show got cut short when the lead singer, Kurt Cobain got into a scrap with a bouncer.

I never did get into Nirvana but I really wished I'd had the courage to chat with them before the show.

EsquireBoy and GreTschocaster like this.
  4. I have run into myself a few times and didnt even recognize myself.

Dave-B, bone, GreTschocaster and 3 others like this.
  5. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    I spent over forty years working s a stagehand. Met all kinds of well known people. It's an unwritten rule that we don't pester the talent. It just isn't done. If they approach you, that's different. Some are just standoffish (George Carlin, Bob Newhart), others down to earth (Red Skelton, Victor Borge, Leo Kottke) and others are outrageously funny (Jimmy Buffet, The Mavericks). I've worked The Pope, the Dalai Lama, druggies and ex-cons; the famous and infamous, commoners and politicians.

6. Gasee

Gasee Gretschie

Jun 4, 2009
    North Wales
    A Bunch of years ago I was at my local guitar show - I was walking down the isle and a guy was stooped down plugging into a guitar. I asked him if he was going to play - He said I hope so. We talked about his guitar ( which I totally forget what it was) and he was very nice and calm. But I thought to myself this guy looks very familiar. 5 minutes later I hear this band jamming so I walk back up the isle - And there was the guy I was just talking too playing crazy good.
    Turns out it was Rick Deringer but it was 30 years after his first hit. I loved him when he and Johnny Winter where together.

TeleRooo, GreTschocaster and new6659 like this.
  7. tolm

tolm Gretschie

Jan 25, 2016
    UK
    I once used the urinal in a theatre (non-movie variety) and the guy next to me looked really familiar ... but, you know, you can’t exactly check in that situation ... on the way out, washed my hands and then almost bumped into the chap ... really familiar ... we exchanged smiles and I left whilst he went to the wash basins.

Got back to my seat and picked up the program. On the back cover was a picture of the patron of the theatre company ... oh yeah, that’s him ... Sir Ian McKellen.

Yup. I pee’d next to Gandalf!

bone, KuKuKu, EsquireBoy and 2 others like this.
  8. TSims1

TSims1 Gretschified

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    Man. Usher. Jim Belushi. Dan Akroyd. Edgar Winter. 38 Special. Little Richard. Keith Urban. Jon Rich. Ronnie Milsap. Ronnie Van Zant. Mick Jagger(literally bumped into him rounding a corner at backstage party at LA House of Blues). Johnny Berry. Bryan White. Rascal Flatts. Kris Kristofferson. Fleetwood Mac. Chris Isaak. Huey Lewis. Tony Bennet. Tommy Emmanuel. Scotty flippin MOORE. Prince. Joe Bonammassa. Pete Anderson. Dr John. The Nevilles. B.B. King. George Benson. Radney Foster.

There’s tons more. People are people.

9. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    Chuck Norris bumps into you, you dont bump into him.. true story at El Torrito Grill, Fashion Island, Newport Beach CA.

Tadhg, thunder58, bone and 2 others like this.
  10. capnhiho

capnhiho Synchromatic

Feb 16, 2013
    California
    I was flying nonstop from London to LAX days before Christmas several years ago. Waiting in line to go through customs in LA I noticed this tall dude with curly black hair, top hat, and mirror sunglasses pushing a Gibson hard case in a cart but I didn’t recognize him. When I got outside, a limo driver was holding a sign that said “Slash.” My wife suggested we wait for Slash and snap a photo. Long story short: Slash was cool, humble, and friendly about photo ops. This photo is our favorite - we gave our son a framed 8x10. His Air Force buddies would ask “Who’s that with Slash?”
    His answer: “That’s my mom. She hangs out with rock stars.”
    B3530AB9-9B01-49E7-A7C8-B04CDDF474B9.jpeg

Tadhg, thunder58, EsquireBoy and 5 others like this.
  11. Teledriver

Teledriver Gretschie

Feb 12, 2011
    Iowa City, IA
    I generally go out in public with a COVID mask on, so as to avoid being noticed and mention on posts like this. Fame.... sigh...
    Seriously, since wearing masks I pretty much a city ordanance everywhere, I bet there are more than a few of the famous that actually enjoy the anonymity of it. They literally are real people again.

GreTschocaster and larryr like this.
  12. larryr

larryr Synchromatic

Mar 6, 2012
    Camarillo, Ca.
    Went to the dog park with my wife and my dog. There was a woman there with two big dogs. She and I struck up a conversation, mostly dog related. Very nice lady. She walked away and I went over to my wife who said you know who that was? A nice lady I responded. She said that was Annette Bening. She was very nice. Worked as the maitre d at a Malibu Jazz Club. Met an awful lot of Malibu celebrities there . Johnny Carson was a regular. Dyan Cannon give me a back rub one night cuz I had a backache.I worked on the Elvis Costello tour, the Bootleg tour, Steve Forbert tour, Dirty Angels tour, for Blondie, Mink DeVille, Talking Heads, played with Peter Tork, Ailleen Quinn, Jimmy Henderson, Terry Rangno, Jah Malla, recorded for Jack Nietszche and Michael Kamen. Famous folks are plain folks in the end. Met a ton. Drinking with Mitch Mitchell and having an impromptu "business meeting" in a gear closet with Robert Plant, sharing a bottle backstage with Bon Scott, and chatting with Prince at a wedding would be some highlights.Willy DeVille attracted a lot of famous people to shows. Just wish we had cell phone cameras back then

Last edited: Sep 5, 2020
    bone and GreTschocaster like this.
  13. Jelly Roll Horton

Jelly Roll Horton Country Gent

Nov 10, 2017
    Portland, OR
    Coming out of a restaurant one night I was telling a story and gesturing with my hands, and smacked a guy in the face who was waiting to be seated. I turned to apologize. It was Phil Knight, founder of Nike. He just laughed it off.

CalicoSkies and GreTschocaster like this.
  14. GlenP

GlenP Country Gent

Jul 23, 2019
    WA
    In college, went to a small local live music venue to see .38 Special. My friend and I were in the long line waiting for the bathroom and remarked that we might miss the first song because the line was so long. This older guy behind us in a fancy hat said, nah man you won’t miss it. When the show started, we recognized the guy with the hat on stage playing guitar was Donnie Van Zandt.

And then the Schlitz Malt Liquor Bull smashed through the wall...

15. bone

bone Gretschie

Aug 9, 2020
    here
    awesome story, man! i may remember who won that day.. hmmm.. o_O

f12880c2fdd8bdd36d8ea8d9f4c93b82.gif

:D

Last edited: Sep 6, 2020
  16. bone

bone Gretschie

Aug 9, 2020
    here
    every morning when i brush my teeth

17. bone

bone Gretschie

Aug 9, 2020
    here
    literally MAN'S best friend:D

Last edited: Sep 6, 2020
    larryr likes this.
  18. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    I was staying at the Trump Soho in NYC (I didn't pay for it.. nice place). I got into the elevator going down and there was a few people already in it. One of them was Willie G. Davidson who I had met before (This was all a Harley Davidson event). He recognized me and fortunately didn't remember I pissed him off last time we talked. We exchanged a few pleasantries and then emerged into the lobby. Wille G. comes up to me and says "That was Lady Gaga in the elevator with us!" It was? I didn't even notice her, evidently she looks very nondescript when not performing.

19. Robbie

Robbie Friend of Fred

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    Spoke to a guy in a boat yard for a bit admiring his 52 ft. Sailboat, really friendly fellow. His voice sounded familiar but couldn’t place him. Jumped in his Porsche and left after our conversation. Later, my friend asked me what I was talking to Bob Seager about.

20. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    Back in ‘83, I was traveling with a bunch of relatives and we stopped at a convenience store in Bartlett, Nebraska, far off the beaten path. Some rough looking characters were walking across the parking lot, rough enough looking to make me wonder if they were there to make trouble. Someone in the car exclaimed: “That’s Alababma!” I was listening to classical, at the time, and was only vaguely aware that there was a band named Alabama, so you couldn’t have proved it by me.

G5422T and GreTschocaster like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.