Ever had the police called on your band for being to loud?

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by radd, Dec 4, 2021.

1. BobbyMac

BobbyMac Electromatic

Mar 13, 2016
    Texas Panhandle
    In the '60s, our band had practice once a week at my house. We lived in a well-to-do residential neighborhood in Fullerton, California. One acre lots, long driveway up to the house and detached 3-car garage where we rehearsed. There was one man across the street, Mr. Stark, who called the Fullerton Police Department about every other time we practiced. The men in blue would mosey up the long driveway on foot to the garage and contact us about the noise complaint. The officers were always polite, but nonchalantly scoped out all the ash trays looking for the evil weed. Of course, we never partook at rehearsal as the parents were always home. We never had to shut it down completely, but we did have to lower the volume considerably (not that we were all that loud because we weren't). And we never had the coppers show up more than once in one day. Looking back, I guess I should have gone over to Mr. Stark's place to chat him up to try to coordinate a time for practice that he would be OK with.

2. hcsterg

hcsterg Friend of Fred

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Ever had the police called on your band for being to loud?

Well, never.

But one time, we unexpectedly saw the Police cutting and deviate the street traffic while listening to our concert on a bar terrace o_O... People was dancing in the middle of the street. :cool: It was in the center of the city of Lyon (France) , but a long time ago. It wouldn't be allowed nowadays. :rolleyes:

A+!

3. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa Cruz
    For 35 years our house on the lower west side in Santa Cruz was a few blocks from West Cliff so we heard the ocean and the seals at night…….We also heard the Friday night Boardwalk outdoor concerts on the bandstand. I must admit, I did not mind.

B0966E09-0E3C-4924-8519-D34F43F0B8F9.jpeg

Waxhead, Henry, Xochi2 and 2 others like this.
  4. MrWookiee

MrWookiee Country Gent

Jun 17, 2020
    SoCal, USA
  5. juks

juks Country Gent

Nov 26, 2020
    Fremont, California
    Out of curiosity, what were his concern? As you did it pretty early.

6. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Gretschified

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    No policemen ever shut us down.
    I am obviously not Rock`n Roll enough....:(

radd likes this.
  7. Early on, many times. First starting out we had no concept of how loud we were. We were so loud that we couldn’t hear each other, so we turned up. I now have tinnitus. One time my parents went out for the afternoon so we took advantage of a free rehearsal space. About 40 minutes into it a policeman came. He said he received calls about the noise and was annoyed that people would complain, but as he got closer to the house, he said he heard it a few blocks away. On my street that was a decent distance, and to hear us that far away , as we played indoors , was like reaching a milestone. Sadly he had to come back 15 minutes later as we did not understand the concept of turning down enough.

We played at a friends place in the town of West New York, which is actually west of NYC. He lived in what looks like a brown stone type building. Its very congested urban area. Anyway, we were upstairs jamming away in a room about 10 by ten, full band and PA. We didnt see the police until they were in the room. We had no idea they were there until they physically touched one of us. That was a wake up call. They told us that if they came back they would ticket the owner ( who didnt play in the band, but allowed us to jam there). And if they came back after that they would arrest him. We stopped after the noise ticket was issued.

For another day, there’s the story of Al Dimeola and the burning garage and fire department visit up the street from me. But i need more coffee right now.

8. MrWookiee

MrWookiee Country Gent

Jun 17, 2020
    SoCal, USA
    I saw some great shows there before leaving the Sillycon Valley for good, and also remember how incredulous everyone was when the developer proposed building an amphitheater on a landfill site. In the early days you could sit on the grass area, which was stinky because of all the methane outgassing from the landfill below, and create blink-and-you'll-miss-it fire effects.

9. giffenf

giffenf Synchromatic

Oct 26, 2008
    Los Angeles
    His 95-year-old mother, who lives with him, wanted to go to bed about that time, and because they're on a street perpendicular to us, their back yard backs up to my driveway, and the drums were just a little too much for them at that hour. He even said "I really like your music, it's not like you're some punk rock band, it was just a little late for us."

The funniest thing about going door-to-door to get the permit signatures was finding out just how many neighbors heard us, and how many liked us (all of them, actually). I don't exercise much restraint in volume when I practice by myself, so it dawned on me that they probably hear me practicing all the time. I'm wondering if they still like listening to it when I'm a trying to learn a solo for a cover band gig and hear me loop it for the thousandth time.

JeffreyLeePierre, juks and MrWookiee like this.
  10. Pine Apple Slim

Pine Apple Slim Country Gent

Dec 14, 2011
    North Alabama
    Since I never played much in rock bands Ive never really experienced the problem personally. But I have been at venues where it happens. When I was younger all we played were garages and such and we had neighbors and parents tell us to **** but I dont recall the cops ever being called. Later I spent 20+ yrs of my prime playing exclusively acoustic/bluegrass so we were never that loud unless we had to be. Later on I've done some electric things but the honky tonks we played were not in residential areas.
    When I built my home studio/practice space/pool house I went extremely crazy on soundproofing. Green Glue, 2 layers of sheetrock, caulked every crack, minimal windows. Now we can play at 100-120db and 30ft from the building is dead silence. Its +/-100' to my nearest neighbor so I can rock out at 3am if I wanted to.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2021
    MrWookiee and JeffreyLeePierre like this.
  11. wabash slim

wabash slim I Bleed Orange

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Working in the industry, I have a different take on it sometimes.
    Hank Williams Jr. played in our 6,000 seat theater with the same PA gear they used a couple of nights earlier outdoors at the Oklahoma State Fair. When we unloaded the trucks, much of the gear was still caked in red mud. Much fun.
    Needless to say, Ol' Hank was painfully loud. So loud , in fact, that half of the audience demanded their money back. My boss, the director of the hall, told their sound guy to turn it down, or he'd turn it off.
    "You can't do that!"
    "Try me."
    It got quieter quickly. The show went on.

12. juks

juks Country Gent

Nov 26, 2020
    Fremont, California
    The loudest concert I ever heard was back in home country in a club called Tavastia club. They managed to bring in lots of great bands from all over.

Normally the PA would be standing on the stage. But when I went to see Lords of the New Church the PA was from the floor to the ceiling. The stage was probably 5 feet high.

It was so loud that you did not hear it anymore. It just entered your body through your skin. But the mix was excellent and you could hear = feel everything.

Amazingly my ears were not ringing that bad at all afterwards. Made me think that certain frequencies must be worse for your ears, not just pure volume.

The other funny thing was that when Stiv Bators was playing tambourine, you could actually hear it. Even if he was nowhere near the vocal mike.

MrWookiee and new6659 like this.
  13. Pine Apple Slim

Dec 14, 2011
    North Alabama
    As a teen Ive done the so loud we couldn't hear each other a few times too. But I guess Alabama is a lot more spaced out than New York. Usually it was on somebody's farm a good ways off from anyone and was never good enough to go any further. I don't have tinnitus but at 64 I still have some hearing loss. Not from loud music I dont think given so many years on acoustic. More likely from many hours of exposure to lawn mowers, tractors, motorcycles, and various other ambient noise with no hearing protection whatsoever.

14. Pine Apple Slim

Dec 14, 2011
    North Alabama
    My loudest and also one of the very best concerts was my first. ZZ Top, 1974, Florence Lauderdale Cloiseum. A little Jr college sized basketball arena prob held 3000 at most and it was packed. Hippies were hanging off the basketball backboards. It was like way too loud for your ears it went straight to your body but the mix was perfect. My ears didn't ring but my bones seemed to reverberate with Dusty's bass for a day or two. But there have been those painfully way too loud shows too. The last and most disappointing one was Drive By Truckers a few yrs back at an old renovated church in Atlanta. Painfully loud, with a mix so terrible all I could hear anywhere in the building was a screaming organ, piercing feedback, and mud. I had to leave. Sad because I really like them.

15. wabash slim

wabash slim I Bleed Orange

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    When we had REM on our stage, they used EV Manifold system speakers. It was so painfully loud, it'd change your breathing and heartbeat (or at least it felt like it) behind the stacks. It was worse in the house. Most bands would overkill theaters using arena sized gear.

Best sound ever was the Grateful Dead. I heard the Wall of Sound, and their Meyer rig at many later shows (40-ish, if memory serves). We had the same Gamble sound board, and Meyer MSL3 speakers---the Dead had the much larger MSL10s. Sound was even throughout the venue, and not overly loud.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.