European amp guys, anyone like the late 1950s/early 1960s Dynacord DA series?

BohemianLikeMe

Synchromatic
Apr 18, 2020
Prague, CZ
The guy who's currently rehabbing my beloved Klemt Echolette just let me know that he's also working on a pair of late 1950s/early 60s Dynacord combos that he's going to sell-- a DA15V and a DA16V. Anyone have experience with these? I think a couple of people here had them (maybe @j.s.c ?)-- are they worth picking up? I'm looking for an interesting sounding mid-wattage combo (10-20 watts) for some beat/garage rock stuff-- the Pro Reverb covers the reverb and trem and clean sounds, the Selmer Little Giant is lofi and woofy. I want something that's a little tweedy, a little trashy, a whole lot of rock'n'roll like a beat-era amp should be!

I've had a Dynacord Twen before and it was a solid but generally kind of unspectacular sounding take on the non-reverb SF Fender Princeton. There's also a Dynacord Rex that a friend is selling in Slovakia but that's too much power for my needs with the Pro Reverb.

Last edited:

BohemianLikeMe

Synchromatic
Apr 18, 2020
Prague, CZ
He also apparently might be willing to sell an mid-50s Dynacord KV-6, which I'm also intrigued by, if anyone has any info on the KV series as well?

j.s.c

Country Gent
Aug 19, 2008
france
The guy who's currently rehabbing my beloved Klemt Echolette just let me know that he's also working on a pair of late 1950s/early 60s Dynacord combos that he's going to sell-- a DA15V and a DA16V. Anyone have experience with these? I think a couple of people here had them (maybe @j.s.c ?)-- are they worth picking up? I'm looking for an interesting sounding mid-wattage combo (10-20 watts) for some beat/garage rock stuff-- the Pro Reverb covers the reverb and trem and clean sounds, the Selmer Little Giant is lofi and woofy. I want something that's a little tweedy, a little trashy, a whole lot of rock'n'roll like a beat-era amp should be!

I've had a Dynacord Twen before and it was a solid but generally kind of unspectacular sounding take on the non-reverb SF Fender Princeton. There's also a Dynacord Rex that a friend is selling in Slovakia but that's too much power for my needs with the Pro Reverb.

Let me know what's going to be sell, I will be part of the razzia, if I can !
Dynacord DA15 (v with trem add-on) and newer 16 (extra speakers on sides... no real interest) are quite impressive clean to crunchy little amps, small, nice vintage TSF radio look. I would say to sum-up : more power and head room than a champ but less than princeton... same kind of clean tones (but the dyna has 3 differents inputs, the first on the left in breaking up quicker than others (break up [email protected]% max vol)... I bridged the channels on mine so I could mix the dirty one with one of the two others (central one is high trebles, right one is bigger volume) and get very nice complex tones.

Of course, they have a heavy load of charm, and came in red, blue, grey and some few are greeny...

The KV version is older than the DA, there are 2 versions one is really nice little cream & blue box the other is a trapezoid edgy red box ("à la DA" but not so nice). The KV6 is only 1 channel with 2 inputs and less output volume (1/2 of DA) , one tone pot only where DA has both bass/treble independent controls.

Give me news ... I think I'm quite hungry for this.

Last edited:

j.s.c

Country Gent
Aug 19, 2008
france
When I didn't know them and because of their small size, I was expecting a little toy, they aren't. Moreover they are happy with pedals, which isn't the case for all my old amps...

BohemianLikeMe

Synchromatic
Apr 18, 2020
Prague, CZ
Thanks J.S.C.! What is your impression on the build quality of the DA series? I have a Dutch friend who loves the sound of them, uses them a lot in the studio, but thinks they'll break if I were to use one regularly.

And shoot me a PM, I'll let you know when my guy has them finished!

j.s.c

Country Gent
Aug 19, 2008
france
Really I don't know if they are reliable for touring or heavy use... I haven't have this experience.
I can tell their flying point to point amp and I'm very impressed every time I look under the hood of that thing it stills working after almost 70 years.

At one time it was my day to day amp for average abuse one to two hours/day for years... (I had to change caps but that's it)...
I'm not sure this complex 3 channels amp with flying point to point soldering is easy enough to be quick repaired (as a tour pro amp needs to be).

Thus, I think I share your friend opinion.

j.s.c

Country Gent
Aug 19, 2008
france
This is the ok side : made in Germany ! (DA16v) the 15 is same but not same valves location.

DA16V valves.JPG

But the other side of the chassis this isn't same strict order ... it's a rat nest of wires and flying components... (this one is a DA15v)

Dynacord DA15V OldCaps2.jpg

DSC01682.jpg

Last edited: