EQ pedals

Discussion in 'Pedal Pushers Forum' started by Bertotti, May 28, 2020.

1. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I always said I didn’t want a dedicated eq pedal that wasn’t parametric. Well I have noticed that Source Audubon has their EQ 2 combination graphic and parametric eq pedal. But truly I have never used a dedicated eq pedal. I have some gigging friends who swear by their amp eq, and several who swear by their eq pedals o sometimes. They seem to love them for awhile them take them off their boards for awhile then put t them back on their boards. So who here uses an eq pedal? Is your relationship good with the pedal or are you a on again off again user and why? Thanks

BorderRadio and Waxhead like this.
  2. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    More talking but interesting. I like the parametric eq portions.

Waxhead likes this.
  3. Shadowy_Man

Shadowy_Man Electromatic

May 18, 2020
    Chicago
    I use a graphic EQ pedal, mainly for jazz. I like to use it to boost mids and cut treble.

Bertotti likes this.
  4. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I understand that is probably the most common use for one. Do you ever do anything crazy with it?

5. Shadowy_Man

Shadowy_Man Electromatic

May 18, 2020
    Chicago
    The other thing I'll do is a more extreme mid boost and bass/treble cut. I'll use that with the middle pickup position for a lo-fi effect.

Bertotti likes this.
  6. dlew919

dlew919 Synchromatic

Jul 18, 2016
    Sydney, Australia
    I'm using mine for my solid body mandolin to tame the treble. At the moment it’s at the beginning of the chain. But I’m thinking I might swap to the end. I seem to have lost some of the sparkle of the souls food and the wah so I’ll let them shape their tone and then cut the highs. I’ll probably swap the compressor before the soul food. But this way too long screed is on one of my pedal boards.
    5EB28B6C-4513-49B4-B18E-9A3AE24F9EA6.jpeg

GlenP likes this.
  7. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    EQs are the ultimate tone controls. 1/3 octave parametrics may be a bit much for guitar, but you can't run a big PA without them. You need to "tune the room".

For guitar, a 6 or 10 band unit is a real help.

pmac11 and GlenP like this.
  8. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    Mostly just w/ the bass or crazy noisemaking boards/setups here. If the graphic has good frequency centers & widths, I've found them a bit quicker to use on the fly than the parametrics, a good parametric has more granularity/flexibility though.

I've been using the MXR 10 & 6 band graphics & Empress ParaEQ & been pretty happy w/ them, but that Source box has intrigued me since I first saw it, the presets would expand the utility for me. It's common for me to have my amp set for the neutral "good" sound for the room then have a preamp pedal set for the default sweetened sound & an EQ for either some other tone for the same instrument or dialed for a different instrument. It'd be cool to be able save the settings for different sounds & combine the board EQing function into one pedal.

9. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    I've been using an analog EQ with presets for about 6 months. Love it. One setting is a treble boost, sounds great with neck pickup or with dirt, another setting is kinda like a funk jangle, great with middle pickup. Been experimenting with other settings and guitars. I recently heard about a Jerry Garcia trick of dropping 60hz which I will try.

pmac11 likes this.
  10. rake_ether

rake_ether Gretschie

Aug 24, 2019
    Athens, GA USA
    Is there a difference between an EQ pedal and a preamp pedal? I see that generally EQ pedals have a number of sliders while preamp pedals have a few knobs. Is it just the amount of control available?

11. Scott Fraser

Scott Fraser Country Gent

Jan 14, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Those are two completely different functions. A preamp provides gain, or volume. Sometimes they include EQ, but that's not an inherent aspect of a preamp. An EQ is simply tone control, though in more segments than the simple bass & treble of an amp. Whether using faders (sliders) or knobs, it is still providing control of the frequency spectrum. EQ can cover anywhere from 2 to 30 or more divisions of the frequency spectrum. Generally, unless you're a sound engineer, you'll be plenty happy with just 6 bands of EQ to play with.

Randy99CL likes this.
  12. rake_ether

rake_ether Gretschie

Aug 24, 2019
    Athens, GA USA
    Thanks for the explanation.

13. Stonepicking

Stonepicking Gretschie

Sep 14, 2018
    Portsmouth uk
    Drybell unit 67 sounds nice. Really versatile pedal.

Waxhead likes this.
  14. GlenP

GlenP Synchromatic

Jul 23, 2019
    WA
    That’s what I like about the Seymour Duncan 805 Overdrive, it has B M T mini knobs for 3 band eq, rather than a single Tone control, for your clean boost or for TS type gain. Not as flexible as a dedicated eq pedal, but it helps.

15. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Friend of Fred

I had the Boss GE-7 for awhile, back when I had a Fender Ramparte amp. It was a great amp for my needs, but the tone control was a bit limited. I stuck the Boss GE-7 in front of it, and that amp came alive. I moved on to the Deluxe Reverb Reissue, and let go of the Ramparte. That's when I let go of the GE-7. Sometimes, I wish I hadn't, because I could use it to get more mids from the DRRI when I want it.

16. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    What draws me to the newer source audio EG2 is the parametric eq not just graphic, parametric just seems to let you tailor tone some much more and they added a function to allow you to use an expression pedal with the eq to sweep it as well. I don’t know much about that yet but it seems it would be a great addition. It is on my short list.

Last edited: May 28, 2020
    Sid Nitzerglobin likes this.
  17. Rob Williams

Rob Williams Country Gent

Jul 5, 2014
    SE QLD
    I use a cheap EQ pedal as my solo boost. That way I can alter the tone as well if I feel it needs it. It's a permanent fixture on my board, but it does change locations between pedals as I experiment. It usually ends up last on the board.

Groutsch likes this.
  18. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    I've had the MXR Graphic 6-Band EQ pedal on my main board for 10 yrs continuous.
    I don't use it as much since I've had the Mesa Mark V amp cos it has its own built in.
    Probly don't need the MXR on the board now.

I've used it for lotsa things over the years - for solo boosting, mids boost, mids scoop and various specific jobs on recordings like for example ...... getting the telephone box lo-fi tone at end of Pink Floyds "Have a Cigar" :D

pmac11 likes this.
  19. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    The EG2 looks good but check it doesn't add any noise before you buy - hopefully no.
    Some of the EQ pedals (like GE-7) add hiss in some rigs - seems to be amp dependent.
    I got the MXR EQ pedal cos it's silent with every amp :D

LivingMyDream and Bertotti like this.
  20. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Source Audio makes great stuff. I’ve been looking at the Boss EQ200 as well.

BorderRadio likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice