Enablers, all of you!!

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Dostegrar, Oct 17, 2021.

1. Dostegrar

Dostegrar Country Gent

Nov 5, 2013
    Delta,b.c.
    I started playing guitar about 8 years ago. I'm 60 now. I was perfectly happy with my one Martin acoustic, but at some point decided to venture into the world of Gretsch. Got me a 5420LH aspen green, a little cube amp, then joined this site. 3 years later, I had gone through about 15 different guitars, 5 or 6 different amps, a boatload of pedals, and was starting to get pretty good. At this point I hit a mental roadblock that I couldn't work past, so I stopped picking the guitars off the wall. They were basically art, so I decided to simplify things. I sold my amps, all my electrics including my 2 gretschesses, and just kept the Martin and a fishman mini. I blame all of you for my gear acquisition disease.
    I recently gave up my part time gardening business, so now only working the one job I have more time on my hands, so I'm going to give it another go. I just bought another 5420LH and a Marshall MG30FX practic amp. That's all I need, and other than a lefty streamliner, there's no way any of you are going to influence my buying decisions again.

2. juks

juks Country Gent

Nov 26, 2020
    Fremont, California
    The only problem I see here is that you sold Gretsches :). This is THE place to be enabled :D

3. Dostegrar

Dostegrar Country Gent

Nov 5, 2013
    Delta,b.c.
    And regretted it every day.

4. Dostegrar

Dostegrar Country Gent

Nov 5, 2013
    Delta,b.c.
    This was one of the ones I sold.
    Now have a classic orange gretsch. FB_IMG_1528840209752.jpg

Nubs, loudnlousy, section2 and 12 others like this.
  5. GenghisBomb

GenghisBomb Electromatic

Sep 26, 2021
    Canada
    Far from me to give advice to an elder, but in my experience, if rampant overconsumption/possessions are becoming a problem, the solution is often to stop buying, and put the offending items away out of sight. If after a set period of time you still feel like getting rid of them, go ahead and pull the trigger. That "time out" period gives you time to reflect, and oftentimes, the impulse to divest from the items is coming from something else going on in your life. So that time you take out might give you time to resolve the "s0mething else" as well!

And it's *much* easier to take the guitars out of storage than it is to re-buy them!

6. Dostegrar

Dostegrar Country Gent

Nov 5, 2013
    Delta,b.c.

7. Dostegrar

Dostegrar Country Gent

Nov 5, 2013
    Delta,b.c.
    This post is meant to be "tongue and cheek".
    GAS is a disease that spreads by contact with other musicians.

8. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    So when does your next Gretsch arrive ? :D
    And you'll obviously need a Vox or Fender amp to go with it.....

section2, Archtops, Dostegrar and 2 others like this.
  9. juks

juks Country Gent

Nov 26, 2020
    Fremont, California
    No vaccine for it and masks make no diffetence :D. As evidenced by my NGD post from today :D.

section2 and mrfixitmi like this.
  10. Floo

Floo Country Gent

Dec 16, 2012
    Elmshorn, Germany
    You are right, a person can have too many guitars and amps.

But... you need a solidbody. A lefty Jet would be nice. And probably a Fender or a Vox amp, they are so different from Marshalls.

NowEarThis, Archtops and mrfixitmi like this.
  11. GlenP

GlenP Country Gent

Jul 23, 2019
    WA
    But even a quarantine can’t stop GAS from spreading. My GAS went into overdrive during the quarantine. Literally, I must have acquired about ten overdrive pedals during the last year, and I don’t even need one, I already have a sweet Vox amp.

section2 and mrfixitmi like this.
  12. LongJohn

LongJohn Synchromatic

Apr 22, 2016
    Queens, NY
    Just play what you have and enjoy the absence of clutter. Yeah right ..........that's gonna happen.:rolleyes:

Bob Perrone and mrfixitmi like this.
  13. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    you're ok in my book
    At 63 I'm heading in that direction also
    Then don't look at the Martin D13e , ya know the one I've been gassing for these last 3 years . My HD-35 and D12-28 need a new friend
    Screen Shot 2021-10-17 at 8.21.41 AM.png
    Oh yea , what ya gonna do about it :p
    Good luck with your search :)

Waxhead and mrfixitmi like this.
  14. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Friend of Fred

Dostegrar, I went the same way as you as I got to retirement. mine was out of necessity because I was going to move in with my daughter's family to help out with grandchildren. I go rid of a bunch of gear that I knew I would never really use again, although guitars weren't in that sell off. Afterward, I told myself that I didn't need anymore guitars, and that I could be content with what I had . . . right up until I ran across a holy grail type of guitar that I had always wanted, but never thought I could afford. Now, I have one more guitar in the heard, and a few more pedals. I didn't even need the folks here to enable me! :D

15. wabash slim

wabash slim I Bleed Orange

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Yeah, right.

Waxhead and mrfixitmi like this.
  16. Gretschzilla

Gretschzilla Gretschie

Apr 20, 2021
    Saint Paul, MN USA
    Challenge... accepted!

mrfixitmi likes this.
  17. Shock

Shock Gretschie

Sep 7, 2020
    Minnesota
    There is no shortage of guitars to buy. Here is the trick. Tell the wife it is too good of a deal to let it go. We can't afford not to buy it.

new6659, Archtops and mrfixitmi like this.
  18. GreTschocaster

GreTschocaster Synchromatic

Feb 11, 2013
    Canada
    I am right there with you! Age 67 and retired. I got my first GreTsch 14 years ago and at last count I have owned 26 Gretsch guitars. My first was a G5120 which was the gateway drug to my addiction. Currently own 6 Gretsch guitars. Will be thinning the heard, 3 6120's is a bit much so the 6120N will be going soon.

GenghisBomb and mrfixitmi like this.
  19. mrfixitmi

mrfixitmi Country Gent

Mar 20, 2010
    Michigan
    We are guilty as charged....I was raised as a mechanic, buying tools was a weekly occurrence.
    Unfortunately, we view guitars as tools of the trade. When we have sold them, a project comes up that we feel that "XXXXX" we sold would be perfect for this number.
    My wife applies this to her scrap booking, card making, and craft tools. She will ask us if we need another guitar, I told her that I never question if she needs another laser cutter, die set, etc.....then the conversations shifts.

It works for us...

Archtops and GreTschocaster like this.
  20. wabash slim

wabash slim I Bleed Orange

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    ...and that's Rabid Enablers to you.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.