Electronics question and where to buy a mud switch??

Marv666

Synchromatic
Jul 26, 2020
Germany
Hi, i´m thinking about changing up the electronics in my double jet.
It has a very Les Paul vibe which is not bad but it could be a tad brighter.
I like the blacktop filtertrons in the jet, so if i would put in 1mOhm pots how would that work out´?
Important to note i always leave everything full open.

Also where can i get a mud switch? I never got any use out of the tone pots in my electromatic but really like the mudswitch in my double anniversary.
So i´m thinking of replacing the tonepots for mudswitchs in my 5120 and jet (in the same spot to avoid having an extra hole).
I´ve never seen a mud switch for sale in europe

Marv666

Synchromatic
Jul 26, 2020
Germany
1M pots might brighten it up, but maybe not as much as you expect. I think you might find more change by swapping out for new pickups.

TV Jones has a lot of information that can help. From https://tvjones.com/pickup-advisor :

View attachment 181187
I don't have the money for new pickups right now haha.
At some point i had a tv classic plus in the bridge of the jet but in the jet actually prefered the blacktop. Interesting coz i really don't like the blacktops in hollowbodys

Marv666

Synchromatic
Jul 26, 2020
Germany
Otherwise i still have some hs filtertrons laying around but really like the jets character ... just could be a tad brighter

lordhelmet

Gretschie
Apr 5, 2020
Germany
Please correct me If I'm wrong, but I think you can't buy mudswitches. I had one installed in my Streamliner as a replacement for the tone knob. I think the luthier used a regular toggle switch and added capacitors with different values to position 1 and 3. The middle neutral position made the tone noticable brighter (+ much better to my ears!)

You could also change the tone knob to a no-load pot, which should do the same. A regular pot affects the signal, even if it is on max.

Marv666

Synchromatic
Jul 26, 2020
Germany
Please correct me If I'm wrong, but I think you can't buy mudswitches. I had one installed in my Streamliner as a replacement for the tone knob. I think the luthier used a regular toggle switch and added capacitors with different values to position 1 and 3. The middle neutral position made the tone noticable brighter (+ much better to my ears!)

You could also change the tone knob to a no-load pot, which should do the same. A regular pot affects the signal, even if it is on max.
That sounds good! But the thing is i have absolutely no use for a tonepot, its a different story for the mudswitch tho

Stefan87

Country Gent
May 20, 2019
Brisbane, Australia
Otherwise i still have some hs filtertrons laying around but really like the jets character ... just could be a tad brighter
I was going to suggest that as i remember you saying you had a set laying around, otherwise i wonder if doing the 1ohm potts with hot rod wiring would brighten things up enough?

EDIT: also a thought, i've read here that a 1/4 magnet swap for the blacktops seem to open them up soundwise apparently, have considered doing that myself, but don't know if that might change the actual character of the pickups enough to be different too.

Last edited:

BCRatRod73

Synchromatic
Sep 1, 2020
Mississippi
EDIT: also a thought, i've read here that a 1/4 magnet swap for the blacktops seem to open them up soundwise apparently, have considered doing that myself, but don't know if that might change the actual character of the pickups enough to be different too.
I did the 1/4” magnet swap on my Rat Rod. It seemed to tame the Blacktops lively nature. When I raised the screws to be closer to the strings the pickups came alive without the BT’s stock sound. Nothing wrong with the stock BT’s but I wanted to get closer to Ray’s original design. How close that is now I have no idea. I like how they sound in the Rat Rod.

drmilktruck

I Bleed Orange
May 17, 2009
Plymouth, MN
You can buy the parts from TV Jones (or any guitar dealer) - 3 way SwitchCraft switch plus .012MF (UP) and .039MF (DOWN) capacitors. I did that for a single bridge TV Classic Plus guitar and it worked very well, giving me a both pickups on and neck only sound pretty accurately.

Last edited:

tartanphantom

Friend of Fred
Jul 30, 2008
Murfreesboro, TN
You can buy the parts from TV Jones (or any guitar dealer) - 3 way SwitchCraft switch plus .012MF (UP) and .0039MF (DOWN) capacitors. I did that for a single bridge TV Classic Plus guitar and it worked very well, giving me a both pickups on and neck only sound pretty accurately.

Fixed it for you... you were missing a zero on the "mild mud" cap value. ;)

Back in Black

Country Gent
Jun 22, 2020
Ontario Canada

You are correct!

A switch is a switch is a switch.

Mud is achieved through caps and resistors!

Having the right ''dirty'' PU combo does not hurt either.

Suggest contacting the tech dept. at TV Jones.

BIB.

Latest posts