Electromatics Played Professionally

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by Anni_Lover, Sep 6, 2021.

1. Anni_Lover

Anni_Lover Synchromatic

Jul 17, 2009
    New Zealand
    I got the idea for this thread from this paragraph on Page 48 of the 2010 Gretsch Winter Catalogue regarding the G5120:

"Get ready for some serious twangin’ up ahead, because this stylish guitar has vibe and tone that’ll have you dancing the Twist until 2 a.m.! And don’t let the price fool you these babies are serious professional guitars, with dual-coil pickups, adjustable bridge, Bigsby ® Licensed B60 tailpiece, and chrome-plated die-cast tuners."

So, are there any videos of bands and musicians actually using and Electromatic for work or performing over the Professional Series? I'll get started with a Portugese cover band named the Lucky Duckies. The video is quite old, so the highest resolution is 480 px. They're perfoming a cover of "Hushabye" by The Mystics. You'll notice a stock G5120 as the guitar:

Check out their YouTube channel too because they're really talented. They perform some European standards as well. Now, if you've never heard the song before or The Mystics, here's the original:

2. section2

section2 Country Gent

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    Not quite what you were looking for, but Keeley Davis of At The Drive-In has toured with a Streamliner:

400px-Keeley_Davis_-_At_the_Drive-In_-_Frequency_Festival_-_2017-08-15-18-35-40-0002.jpg

3. NJDevil

NJDevil Country Gent

Jul 9, 2014
    Commack, NY
    Erin McCarley's guitarist. I first heard her as a guest on some cooking show over 10 years ago playing this song. He's playing an Electromatic here and tried to find the clip of when I first saw it where he's playing a red Electromatic:

The Chromatics, who announced their break-up 2 weeks ago, played this and was featured at the end of an episode of season 3 of Twin Peaks on Showtime.

and more Gretsch at various spots.... I think Showtime prohibited youtube from showing the original clip at the end of one of the episode's....see 1:00 and 1:28

Last edited: Sep 7, 2021
  4. Trash Kidd

Trash Kidd Country Gent

Dec 14, 2015
    London U.K.
    Ok Streamliner rather than Electromatic but Kid Congo Powers (The Gun club, The Cramps, The Bad seeds) Has toured with his extensively with his band The Pink Monkey Birds….. They make a good sound too! D20F224B-B9AD-4BAF-9D57-FDD15277F942.jpeg

5. dlew919

dlew919 Country Gent

Jul 18, 2016
    Sydney, Australia
    In all humility 73C18F74-B3E9-48B5-85C8-DCC49F21B5D3.jpeg that’s at a restaurant opening. I gig with mine fairly often. When there are gigs.

Anni_Lover, section2, new6659 and 7 others like this.
  6. Jerzey Bob

Jerzey Bob Synchromatic

Apr 3, 2021
    North Jersey

Was practicing earlier & had the very thought that Streamliners would be good giggers. Don't know why I had that thought, I'm a harp player learning guitar, what do I know??? :cool:

blueruins and Trash Kidd like this.
  7. THS3171

THS3171 Electromatic

Jan 20, 2020
    Germany
  8. THS3171

THS3171 Electromatic

Jan 20, 2020
    Germany
  9. Gregor

Gregor Country Gent

Two 5120s like my avatar. Love the group!

THS3171 likes this.
  10. Viking Power

Viking Power Synchromatic

Jun 11, 2018
    Mountlake Terrace, WA
    Francisco Mesa of The Nekromantix plays a G5422T:

upload_2021-9-7_7-12-3.jpeg

Anni_Lover, Jackal, Marv666 and 5 others like this.
  11. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
  12. GlenP

GlenP Country Gent

Jul 23, 2019
    WA
    Does playing for burgers count? Not really professionals, just some Dads in the neighborhood at a block party. Remember block parties?

Anni_Lover, manunk, mrfixitmi and 2 others like this.
  13. JeffreyLeePierre

JeffreyLeePierre Country Gent

You beat me to it :)

I think pros prefer to tour with Streamliners as they would feel so bad in case they would damage their precious Electromatics :D

14. NJDevil

NJDevil Country Gent

Jul 9, 2014
    Commack, NY
    I have to put Holger Bogen here. The man is a musical gift and really talented. Uses many guitars but frequently see on many youtube clips with his Electromatic 5129.

I know he had a band and had at least half dozen albums for sale on the market....both cd and iTunes download format but did some quick searched before posting and couldn't find it. Here's a bit of the goodness:

cowmoo, Anni_Lover, Dana Rudd and 7 others like this.
  15. JC higgy

JC higgy Gretschified

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Kelly Jones uses a Gretsch 5422-12 Electromatic.

16. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    I'd play for burgers. Even a couple of hot dogs or a BLT.

new6659 and GlenP like this.
  17. mrfixitmi

mrfixitmi Country Gent

Mar 20, 2010
    Michigan
    @THS3171, Thanks for the memories, a lot of great Gretsch players in Germany. My wife's relatives had always talked about the great clubs in Germany.
    My wife and kids saw Jane Rose in Hanover, we were there for a Wedding and spent a week going to all the Blues and Rockabilly. We were amazed at all the talent that could really put on a show for the guests. Thanks again for sharing!

THS3171 likes this.
  18. mrfixitmi

mrfixitmi Country Gent

Mar 20, 2010
    Michigan
    @NJDevil, I agree, Holger Bogen was one of my Father's favorites, he played his String-a-Billy CD all the time.
    His style and speed are just amazing.
    My son learned Guitar Rodeo to play at his 80th Birthday Party. When my Dad asked him to learn another, he said I love ya Poppa, but my fingers may never recover.

LongJohn and NJDevil like this.
  19. drmilktruck

drmilktruck I Bleed Orange

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    Unfortunately I saw Fall Out Boy recently and he plays a Guild now.

G. Love doesn't play his Corvette any more either. (I saw him in 2019.)

20. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    The pertinent part here is:"Unfortunately I saw Fall Out Boy recently".... :)

Yeah, contracts run out and others get signed.

Intoamartian and drmilktruck like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.