Electromatics and player models.

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by Marko60, Apr 3, 2021.

1. Marko60

Marko60 Gretschie

Mar 26, 2021
    Yorkshire, England
    @Bradford = what ever colour it's called, it's just fabulous!

Last edited: Apr 6, 2021
  2. Chmason85

Chmason85 Synchromatic

May 1, 2018
    Philadelphia
    My vote is just to go straight to a proline. I’ve had four jets. I started with an electromatic, I believe and ‘03 to ‘05 model; I purchased it used in 2005, one of the gold ones with the little chrome gretsch mini buckers. That was possibly the worst guitar I’ve ever had and heavy as an anchor. Years later I bought a 57 silver jet reissue that was amazing. I sold that a couple years in to get a Gibson les Paul gold top and in about six months flipped the Gibson to get a 53vs duo jet. Yes, the gretsch proline was again unreal quality and better than a US made Gibson. Fast forward to this past fall and I hit a pretty rough time from the pandemic and had to move the 53. Just a couple weeks ago I was finally able to get another proline, Cadillac green 6228 and it is easily my favorite of all my jets so far. I’m unusual in that I don’t prefer a bigsby so this guitar feels tailor made for me. IMO the quality difference is night and day. None of my prolines have ever had to get a professional setup or go to a tech, just set up at home to my preference. They really do have an incredible attention to detail and fit and finish, and that’s why I would say to save enough to go right to the pro if it’s possible. Fingers crossed, I will never have to let go of my 6228, I’m in love with it!! 97E7DFB5-E0C2-4573-981B-47578C69590B.jpeg

Marko60, new6659, audept and 3 others like this.
  3. mmannaxx

mmannaxx Electromatic

May 16, 2011
    Ohio
    Instead of a traditional F hole opening it has a swooping curved opening ( the cat's eye).

Marko60 likes this.
  4. mmannaxx

mmannaxx Electromatic

May 16, 2011
    Ohio
    I first had some version of a hollowbody Electromatic. But it would feedback too easily for performing with. Then I bought a Japanese DuoJet. And yes it felt too nice and dear to play out with. I sold both before I had to change strings on those Bigsbys. Guess I just keep playing my Teles!

5. Telechamp

Telechamp Country Gent

Oct 20, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    I've got an '07 5120 which I've had for ten years or so, and I love it. I did swap out the Gretschbuckers for some GFS Surf 90's - night and day difference - but I really love the neck on this one. Sounds and plays great, too. It's light, and stays in tune w/ Bigsby use.

Having said that, I still want a Pro Line at some point - but I'll be keeping this 5120.

I also had a gold '05 G5238 Pro Jet as well, but that one didn't stay around long. I probably should have kept it though, and just put some GFS NYIII pickups in it... That one had a great neck as well..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

new6659 and Marko60 like this.
  6. GuitarGene

GuitarGene Electromatic

Jan 11, 2021
    Ireland
    That black one is really nice looking...........

Telechamp and Marko60 like this.
  7. rockinstephen

rockinstephen Electromatic

There's nothing wrong with an Electromatic. I think they're a good guitar for the money. BUT...Having said that, a few years ago I was in the local guitar shop ready to buy my 1st. Gretsch. I was ready to buy an Electromatic, but thought I'd try out a 6118 TJR hanging on the wall Big difference! That one came home with me. I had it for several years until I traded up for the 6196 CC I have now. That one will be with me forever...

Marko60 likes this.
  8. old fella

old fella Gretschie

Dec 11, 2009
    uk
    I own a 2007 black Pro Jet which both plays and sounds excellent I wrote a thread about it a while back praising it's qualities. It is a keeper and will not be sold.

I have been tempted to a proline.. An acquaintance of mine bought a "natural" Country Club around a decade ago which I could easily have become very attached to. I sought my own for several years but could never find one for a similar price.. By colleague paid 1000 Euros for his guitar (around £850 at the time) so I felt I needed to get somewhere near that to avoid the ribbing I would get for having overpaid. I did once nearly negotiate around £980 for one but got out bid.

Probably did not really need the guitar anyway.

9. adauria

adauria Gretschie

Dec 22, 2016
    Wake Forest, NC
    I started with an Electromatic 5420 and loved it so much that when I saw a used 6228 PE Jet I scooped it up for a steal. I am very happy with both and don't regret starting with the Electromatic at all.

-Andrew

Marko60 likes this.
  10. old fella

old fella Gretschie

Dec 11, 2009
    uk
    Out of curiosty what do people consider to be a current "steal " price for a pre owned proline Jet or Country Club or Anni.

Prior to the pandemic I was surprised to see in an up market guitar store in Denmark St London that the asking prive for a second hand Duo Jet was pretty close to a new one. The salesman spiel was of course that a proven and " exceptional" second hand one was sometimes preferable to ordering a new one sight unseen from Japan or main distributor.

11. Ctbillsfan

Ctbillsfan Newbie

Aug 19, 2020
    Winsted Connecticut
    I am completely smitten with my Korean 1999 Electromatic Double Jet solidbody. Next on the list is a nice semi-hollow !

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 9, 2021 at 7:32 PM
  12. Marko60

Marko60 Gretschie

Mar 26, 2021
    Yorkshire, England
    A steal for me on any guitar is getting it half the price of the same model brand new and in a case!
    last time I was in London, I was pretty disappointed with what was on show in Denmark St, to me there was nothing special at all and I thought Denmark St was over hyped. Where in England are you?

13. Mr Swisher

Mr Swisher Synchromatic

Jun 12, 2012
    England
    Denmark street is a tourist con. Having said that.. in the last year I've sold two guitars for more than I bought them for brand new. One less than 6 months later.

Your best bet on a deal is on a model thats still widely available new (during this weird supply time).

So a Players Edition is more likely to be available for a deal, as their are more on the market.

I sold my 335 today, for more than you can buy the same model new... purely because of short supply in the UK. Some people just won't wait for the restocks to arrive.

14. Marko60

Marko60 Gretschie

Mar 26, 2021
    Yorkshire, England
    The best steal I ever got is my Heritage H555, immaculate and only £8OO including heritage original case. My friend bought a 1959 Les paul Junior for £250 - granted it was a few years back but back then they were fetching £1200 plus. With what else is on the market these days, I don't think I will ever buy another new Gibson again, I've had four of them.

15. Mr Swisher

Mr Swisher Synchromatic

Jun 12, 2012
    England
    Great purchases. I've always been luckier selling than buying. The 335 was great, lovely, but I don't pick it up as regularly as my Jet. Nor does it bring me the same joy as the Jet. Hence it goes to a new home and a new Gretsch will arrive in its place.

16. bluenote23

bluenote23 Country Gent

Oct 17, 2009
    Montreal, Canada
    If you want a 'steal', then do research and buy used. I know you cannot equate North American prices with prices in the UK but all of my Jets (2 Sparkles, a Firebird and a Roundup) cost me around £800 each. But it took a few years and a lot of reading to find them.

Mr Swisher likes this.
  17. Marko60

Marko60 Gretschie

Mar 26, 2021
    Yorkshire, England
    I love the 335 as a guitar, the reason I won't buy Gibson products now is because to me, they are not worth the money they are asking for them and the quality, as every one knows, is inconsistent. On top of that I don't like their corporate attitude to their stockists. I have a friend who has some Gibson's which a very desirable, A 1950's L4, a 68 L5 with florentine cutaway (double Humbuckers) and other Gibsons which are wonderful instruments. I'm still waiting for that special guitar that I can really bond with.

18. Mr Swisher

Mr Swisher Synchromatic

Jun 12, 2012
    England
    Patience is 100% key to getting a deal.

I have zero patience. :)

19. old fella

old fella Gretschie

Dec 11, 2009
    uk
    As regards patience I have been kinda looking for 9 years. However during that time I have picked up a stunning Washburn WI66PRO with USA Seymour Duncans for £220 previously professionally owned and one of the nicest playing and sounding guitars I have ever owned. Plus a couple of other bargains so I can't complain. Some time ago I set my budget for my Gretsch proline at £990. Possibly I will never find one at that price. I particularly want a model with TV jones pups as I am very impressed with these. Around 7 years ago a buddy who owns a ludicrous number of guitars (mainly not high end) bought one of the first Electromatic hollow bodies (silver sparkle top) for £150 . It was a horrible sounding guitar which never sounded in tune and was probably a rogue example of the marque. However a fret job, new locking tuners, new nut ,a few mods to the bigsby ,a new bridge, new pots, a set of pre owned TV classics and a good set up have completely transformed it. The original stock De Ammond pups were put in a Pro jet he had also bought and the "upgrade" was an excellent mod..

I have first dibs on both guitars should he ever sell

Last edited: Apr 10, 2021 at 6:50 PM
  20. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa Cruz
    I had one

AD069AFF-5E5B-449E-81A8-03D25D8BD4B6.jpeg

Sold it :( Always regretted it.

So much so that I found this one today on Reverb...Bought it..:D

432A2107-B39F-472B-A036-26B7CEE86F67.jpeg

Stefan87, AZBrahma, new6659 and 2 others like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.