Electromatics and player models.

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by Marko60, Apr 3, 2021.

1. Marko60

Marko60 Gretschie

Mar 26, 2021
    Yorkshire, England
    I'm wondering, I know there are a lot of players here with Electromatic G5420's and also the dearer Japanese models. Have any of you started off with an Electromatic and then wished you had just gone and bought a Japanese Gretsch?

I'm certainly not knocking the Electromatic range because it is going to be my entry into owning a Gretsch. I think for the money they are incredible.

Bertotti, Telechamp, Archtops and 4 others like this.
  2. Trash Kidd

Trash Kidd Country Gent

Dec 14, 2015
    London U.K.
    I bought my first Electromatic because at the time I couldn’t afford a Japanese pro line model.
    I soon discovered just how good the Electromatics are!
    I finally got my White Falcon in 2017 which is my number 1 guitar.
    I’ve just bought another 5420 with TV Jones classics already fitted.
    The 5420 is being played as much as my Falcon. It’s an incredible instrument..

3. Marko60

Marko60 Gretschie

Mar 26, 2021
    Yorkshire, England
    Thanks for the reply and information Nigel. I don't have Japanese build money spare right now, but reading your comments really gives me confidence. I have only played the old electromatics, the one's with Electromatic on the headstock, but it looks like I'll be going for fairlane blue. By the way, how much do cases run at for the 5420? I'd like to gig it.
    Out of curiousity, where in London are you?

Trash Kidd likes this.
  4. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    I started off with a G1619 Synchromatic Sparkle Jet.
    Warning: They can lead to the harder stuff.
    I have a G5235T Electromatic Pro Jet and my favorite guitar, an Historic 3140. Nothing wrong with any of them. I really can't justify more expensive models as I'm not gigging, and my skills don't really need anything finer. These two are the finest guitars I own.. I'm primarily a keyboard player, and most of my music money went there. Even cheesy instruments we had learned on, Synchros are a great value. I'd just like to see an Electro in proper Cadillac Green with Cat's Eyes and DeArmond 2000 pickups.

As to Player's Models----aren't ALL guitars meant to be played?

Last edited: Apr 3, 2021
    Dave Murray, kbps320, Emster and 2 others like this.
  5. Marko60

Marko60 Gretschie

Mar 26, 2021
    Yorkshire, England
    My problem is that I've been spoiled, the first Gretsch I ever played was the Gretsch custom shop limited edition hand built copy of Brian Setzer's 59 Gretsch, they made a limited run of 59 and it was £12,000 in the shop. The next one I played was a beautiful top of the line Double cut country gent - I don't know it's number.

Duo Slinger and JeffreyLeePierre like this.
  6. Shock

Shock Gretschie

Sep 7, 2020
    Minnesota
    I usually end up grabbing my Historic too. They are amazing. Some say the cat's eyes always sound better.

JeffreyLeePierre likes this.
  7. Marko60

Marko60 Gretschie

Mar 26, 2021
    Yorkshire, England
    I'm not familiar with the term Cat's eyes in Gretsch language, please can you explain for me?

Dave Murray and ishtar like this.
  8. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa Cruz
    I have had a number of Electromatics and 2 Prolines. I currently have a 5420 and a 6120-59. The 6120 is superior but not nearly as much as the dramatic price difference would indicate.

I play my 5420 as much or more than the 6120. The 5420 is a wonderful instrument at a very affordable price.

Dave Murray and CaliforniaSlim like this.
  9. hcsterg

hcsterg Friend of Fred

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    I did it conversely : Japanese Pro-Line and then Electromatics... No regrets at all ! :cool:

Since the late 80s I wanted a Gretsch. A Tennessee Rose. Lefty. No way = Impossible Mission at that time. I forgot the idea, OK... :(

In 2015, a mint, nearly unplayed 125th 2008 G6119LH came on a local (French) forum at a reachable price for me (1700E ). I put the trigger on. o_O

That said, I had to do rather some work on it to make her play flawlessly : re-centering the Bigsby, repositioning of the pickups, nut change, bridge change and pinning, freight height lowering and recrowning, rewiring... Not precisely that you would expect to do on a Proline Grestch, soit-dit en passant ! :confused:

[​IMG]

Then I bought a used G5420LH Electromatic 1st series in Aspen Green (at 600E). I did similar work on it, adding a B6 V-cut LH. I unfortunately sold it in late 2017 unwillingly... Too bad... :( She sounded and played indisputably as good as the G6119LH. :)

[​IMG]

Then in 2019 came a G5420TLH-FBL for 700E : I did not hesitated one second ! Again : as good as the G6119LH. :)

[​IMG]

I mean : either Pro-Line or Electromatic, for sure you won't be disappointed !

By the way, a great number of us have also both ... ;)

But it's me, OK ? :D

A+!

mjm0, 6124Bassman, Archtops and 6 others like this.
  10. Trash Kidd

Trash Kidd Country Gent

Dec 14, 2015
    London U.K.
    We’re actually in Dorking, Surrey now.. About 11 miles out from SW London..

Right! If you buy the pukka Gretsch Electromatic case for a 5420 it’ll cost you about £120.
    Or you can buy the Gretsch Streamliner case for a G2420 which is the same size for £79! Only difference being the Streamliner case has the Gretsch logo in Silver/grey on outside of the case & chrome latches where as the Electromatic case has the logo in gold & brass latches... Both cases are the same size...

11. rake_ether

rake_ether Gretschie

Aug 24, 2019
    Athens, GA USA
    I sold my proline and kept my 5420, it continues to be my number one (full disclosure, I have a new proline on order). A new case for your 5420 will be around 125 Euro ($150). Edit: That's for a Gretsch logo case, I believe you can find others cheaper.

Marko60 likes this.
  12. Marko60

Marko60 Gretschie

Mar 26, 2021
    Yorkshire, England
    Thanks for the reply, you are not far from my son, he is in Tunbridge Wells with his wife and kids. Interesting about the two cases, are they both the same internally?

Trash Kidd likes this.
  13. ishtar

ishtar Country Gent

The shape of the sound ports are not F-holes, like many Gretsch, but slivered crescent openings that look 'catty'.
    [​IMG]

14. Marko60

Marko60 Gretschie

Mar 26, 2021
    Yorkshire, England
    Three beautiful guitars there, I was surprised you had to work on them so much. Each one of them is a fabulous colour, thanks for posting the pictures, I've enjoyed looking at them.

mjm0 and hcsterg like this.
  15. Marko60

Marko60 Gretschie

Mar 26, 2021
    Yorkshire, England
    @ishtar - thanks for explaining, I've seen them many times but didn't know they are called cats eyes - you learn something new everyday!

BentFX and ishtar like this.
  16. Trash Kidd

Trash Kidd Country Gent

Dec 14, 2015
    London U.K.
    Yes both the same cases!

17. Marko60

Marko60 Gretschie

Mar 26, 2021
    Yorkshire, England
    Well there you go, probably get chrome fittings and a silver case logo instead of Gold! You can't have a hollow body guitar without a case.

Dave Murray and Trash Kidd like this.
  18. Trash Kidd

Trash Kidd Country Gent

Dec 14, 2015
    London U.K.
  19. Marko60

Marko60 Gretschie

Mar 26, 2021
    Yorkshire, England
    Trash Kidd likes this.
  20. bluenote23

bluenote23 Country Gent

Oct 17, 2009
    Montreal, Canada
    Well, I first got a G5129 electromatic. I thought it was pretty nice so then I got a G3905 Historic. Then I said to myself, with the money I spent on those two guitars, I could've got a proline.

So then I got my Red Sparkle Jet. I traded away the two Korean Gretschs plus cash for my Thinskin Jazzmaster. Now they were only two guitars and maybe they weren't stellar examples of the breed but they just weren't in the same league as the proline and I have never looked back.

Stefan87, Marko60 and Randy99CL like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.