Electromatic question

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by SWoody, Sep 19, 2020.

1. SWoody

SWoody Gretschie

Aug 27, 2018
    PA
    Were any of the Electromatic hollow bodies i.e. 5622, 5422 double cuts made in China? Thx

2. aFriendbFrosty

aFriendbFrosty Gretschie

May 22, 2020
    West Coast
    The 5622's are semi-hollow and production got moved to China this year. The pickups also got changed out from super hilotrons.

The 5422's are hollow body and I think they're still made in Korea.

Not 100% sure, but it looks to me like solid and semi-hollow Electros are all now made in China. Whereas the hollow body Electros are still coming from Korea

3. FiveAces

FiveAces Electromatic

Mar 1, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Last I recall, the "Single-cut" hollow bodies (5420, etc) still seems to be coming out of S.Korea. I was shopping at G.C. last week and unless its all still old stock, that's what it looks like....

GlenP likes this.
  4. SWoody

SWoody Gretschie

Aug 27, 2018
    PA
    Thanks. I found at 5422 for sale and it says 'Made in China' with a serial # on the back of the headstock but everything about it looks legit other than that.

5. FiveAces

FiveAces Electromatic

Mar 1, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    So the next question is.... will ALL the Electromatic series guitars eventually be coming from China in the near future?

6. EssEll

EssEll Gretschie

Oct 11, 2019
    Seattle area
    My slightly less-than-a-year-old 5422 was made in Korea. I reeeeeally prefer N. American-made guitars but I reeeeeally like this one.

7. FiveAces

FiveAces Electromatic

Mar 1, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    My 2006 Electromatic G5120 Hollow Body was made in Korea and I really love it (that's why I've kept it!). The quality was as good then as they still are now!
    But I also have a 2015 G5435T Pro Jet that was made in China! Seriously, they have been just as good, too! Don't get me wrong... the Electromatics will never equal the Pro Line Gretsch guitars, but, then again, you're only paying around 40% the cost of a Gretsch Pro model!

8. Paulie26

Paulie26 Electromatic

Sep 7, 2020
    Ireland
    The 5655 tg is also made in China, and I am agonizing about getting one

GlenP likes this.
  9. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Country Gent

Mar 6, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Got a pic? That’s pretty suspect to me. Did the serial start with “KS”?

10. aFriendbFrosty

aFriendbFrosty Gretschie

May 22, 2020
    West Coast
    I wonder if it's really a new 5622, mislabeled as a 5422

11. rake_ether

rake_ether Gretschie

Aug 24, 2019
    Athens, GA USA
    A little over a month ago I bought my first Terada built Gretsch, a G6659 BroadKaster Jr. and was interested in comparing it to my Korean built G5420. As far as fit and finish the Korean built compares very favorably (not justifying a 3 or 4 times cost difference). Where my G6659 is noticeably better is in the hardware and electronics which make for a more pleasurable experience (love the Fulltron pups in the BroadKaster).

GlenP likes this.
  12. GlenP

GlenP Country Gent

Jul 23, 2019
    WA
    Easy enough, just get the G6659...

Paulie26 likes this.
  13. Paulie26

Paulie26 Electromatic

Sep 7, 2020
    Ireland
    Unfortunately, just cant justify it at the moment!!!

How do you find your G5655TG?

GlenP likes this.
  14. Tadhg

Tadhg Gretschie

Aug 8, 2019
    Qld - Australia
    I very much like my G5655TG (Cadillac Green). I've had it for just over a year, bought it second hand when it was 2 months old. The gold wears off pretty quickly, so if you're concerned about avoiding a relic'd look (though it's real wear and tear!), go for a G5655T, not a TG. Other than that, it plays great, it's comfortable, holds tune...

And you're right - G5655/5657 is also made in China.

Paulie26 likes this.
  15. Paulie26

Paulie26 Electromatic

Sep 7, 2020
    Ireland
    Thanks

16. GlenP

GlenP Country Gent

Jul 23, 2019
    WA
    I am really liking it, I have the LTD version with blacktop filter’trons, overall a very nice feel to it. I guess Gretsch is more well
    known for their hollow bodies, but these center blocks can really chime or crunch, very versatile.

MyGirlGretta and Paulie26 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.