Electromatic Jet G5220 Upgrades

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by Rkphilpot, Jun 18, 2021.

1. Rkphilpot

Rkphilpot Electromatic

Jun 18, 2021
    Essex, UK
    Hi All,
    As a player of many Strats I have been blown away by the bargain G5220 I purchased for £200 the other day. Such a cool sound and it plays beautifully.
    There are a few upgrades i'd like to make; I'm upgrading the tuners to Gotoh, I've managed to find which model through historic forum threads and I'm changing the wiring so the master volume isnt just an on/off switch. However I'm struggling to find which Tusq Nut model to order. If anyone can help that would be amazing. I'm just after a white one.

Thanks Everyone

2. HypotenusLuvTriangle

HypotenusLuvTriangle Country Gent

Oct 27, 2010
    Whittier, Ca
    My advice to you is to forget the Tusq Nut. Get a Zer0Glide. You won't regret it.

hcsterg likes this.
  3. Chef T

Chef T Electromatic

Dec 12, 2020
    New York
    Are you replacing the nut for tone or tuning stability? I found once I put on new tuners, it stayed in tune.

4. hcsterg

hcsterg Friend of Fred

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Welcome @Rkphilpot !

Good choice, indeed : the G5220, along with the G5420, are probably the best sellers of the Electromatic Range... :cool:

For the nut, a TUSQ PQL-6060-00 should be fine, if you don't touch at the factory perfect slots and just adjust height by the base of the nut.

On my G5220LH-DCM, I used a PQL-6060-L0, which is the LH version. I use it on all my Gretsch...;)

[​IMG]

Fot the tuners, I went for GOTOH SG-381 set :

[​IMG]

For the wiring, this one below works with the expected spread and progressivity in settings :

[​IMG]
    Discard the fact that I mentioned Lefty : I always wire my guitars in the conventional Righty sense, so this schem is directly applicable to a Right-Handed guitar. :)

But it's me, OK ? :D

A+!

mr coffee, Rkphilpot and perezvon like this.
  5. Tele295

Tele295 Country Gent

I still need a Serpentune bridge and Duane Eddy handle, and then my current rounds of mods on my 5220 are done. CA6D4E22-D4BD-49A2-8047-34EF663806E1.jpeg

hcsterg and Rkphilpot like this.
  6. JC higgy

JC higgy Gretschified

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Welcome to GT Philpot!

Congrats on the new geet.

7. Rkphilpot

Rkphilpot Electromatic

Jun 18, 2021
    Essex, UK
    Wow, thanks everyone for the replies, seriously helpful!

I'm replacing the nut because I have tusq nuts on all my guitars and just feel they perform really well.

Again, thanks for all the replies, those guitars all look stunning. Can't belive how good they sound too. Love it!

8. sligo ray

sligo ray Synchromatic

Jun 17, 2011
    New Zealand
    I really like that strap.

Tele295 likes this.
  9. Rkphilpot

Rkphilpot Electromatic

Jun 18, 2021
    Essex, UK

In your experience, would changing the volume pots to 1 meg make them slightly brighter? Would I need to change the tone to 1 meg too for additional brightness?

Thanks again

10. hcsterg

hcsterg Friend of Fred

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Yes @Rkphilpot : higher pot value will provide less damping to the pickup resonant peak, so the pickup will sound brighter. It's valid both for volume and tone pots. The graph below explains more or less the phenomenon, but it depends on the pickup type too about the intensity of the effect of brightness :

[​IMG]
    That said, I'm not sure that C1M are available for pickup volume pots, conversely to C500K... As an alternative, you can choose B1M.

For example, with this pair of Gretsch Dynasonic RI below, I started with A250K as master volume and master tone, then shifted to A500K, finally went to A1M, in order to have that so prized twangy brightness of the Dynasonic, along with a careful height adjustment for tone and loudness balance :

[​IMG]

Incidentally, I discovered that the Gretsch of the 50s with Dynas used 1M pots... :oops:

A+!

Last edited: Jun 28, 2021
    new6659 likes this.
  11. Rkphilpot

Rkphilpot Electromatic

Jun 18, 2021
    Essex, UK
    I’m astounded by the info you’re throwing my way, I really appreciate it.
    What’s the difference between A, B & C pots??

hcsterg likes this.
  12. hcsterg

hcsterg Friend of Fred

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Easy to remember ;) : this is the taper of the pot. In other words, it is the variation law (curve) of the resistance vs. the rotation of the shaft. The A,B and C tapers are schematized on the graph below :

A = LOG = Audio
    B = LIN = Linear
    C = INVERSE LOG, also called RA (Reverse Audio) on old schematics.

[​IMG]

A+!

new6659 likes this.
  13. new6659

new6659 Country Gent

I have a question.

Among my Gretschs there is a sonic divide - models which have a treble bleed are notably bright sounding while those without are not (I usually play with the master volume rolled back quite a lot). If you wanted to brighten up the sound at low volume, would you choose to install a treble bleed circuit or a larger value pot (or both) on the master volume or on the other pots, as well?

14. hcsterg

hcsterg Friend of Fred

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    So reading your description, @new6659, IMHO the most efficient for your case would be the treble bleed, and I'd say the Kinman variant (RC serial) rather than the Seymour Duncan variant (RC parallel), since it won't modify the taper of the pot.

That said, testing the two variants won't hurt to define what's best for you, depending on your taste...

Adding a treble bleed is also less work than changing pots, and you can manage to solder and exit a pair of wires through the f-hole, with a pair of croco clips, to ease your search in RC treble bleed values, serial or //.

I did those tests and finally came to 100-150K for the resistor and 1nF-1.5nF as the best values ranges, no matter the pickup or the pot, Kinman recommending 1,2nF + 130K by the way... ;)

Yes, a larger value volume pot will increase "globally" the treble level (by undamping the pickups) as mentioned in post #10, but not in the same way : it won't do much - not to say nothing - for the level of treble with your volume rolled back. To correct this, you need a treble bleed.

We can say the same about tone pots : the higher the value, the higher the peak resonance of the pickups in amplitude : that's why no-load pots exists, by the way. Suppose you tone pot maxed = no treble taming :

- the pickups see the maximum resistance of the pot (250, 500K or 1M) plus the impedance of the tone cap in serie.

- let's consider a A note ( frequency F= 440Hz), a 500K tone pot and a C=22nF tone cap :

* the impedance at 440Hz of the pot will be 500K, and it remain constant no matter the frequency (impedance = resistance value)

* the capacitor a 440Hz will show an impedance Zc = 1/(2.Pi.F.C) = 1/(2.3,14.440.22.10E-9) = 8220R (8.2K), which is nearly negligible vs. the 500K of the pot. Total = 508220R (508.22K)

* if the frequency increases, Zc will decrease accordigly, goine even more negligible vs. the pot value (C value being at the denominator of the Zc formula).

- this means that the main influence of the tone-corrector maxed (no treble cut) is nearly represented only by the pot value, which finally acts as well as a volume pot in providing a damping on the pickups, and hence reducing its peak resonance brightness.

To sum up :

- increasing pot values, both tone and volumes, and/or removing such pots to keep only a MV and MT pots will increase the global brightness of your instrument.

- adding a treble bleed will only increase brightness when you roll off the volume pot.

I don't know if I'm clear in my discourse... o_O:oops::confused: Hope this helps ! ;)

A+!

Last edited: Jun 29, 2021
    Rkphilpot and G5422T like this.
  15. new6659

new6659 Country Gent

@hcsterg - thanks so very much for your thoughts!!!

hcsterg likes this.
  16. new6659

new6659 Country Gent

Now I'm off to try and decipher resistor codeso_O:rolleyes:

hcsterg likes this.
  17. Rkphilpot

Rkphilpot Electromatic

Jun 18, 2021
    Essex, UK

Ahh yes I am familiar with those pots but didn't realise they were abbreviated in such a way. Thanks again for all your help.

hcsterg likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.