ELECTROMATIC 5120 VS 2420

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by THE BALD REVEREND, Jul 14, 2020.

1. THE BALD REVEREND

THE BALD REVEREND Electromatic

Jul 14, 2020
    MILAN - ITALY
    Hy Gretschers from Italy .
    I already have a G 5230 T ( nice !! ) ; now i'm looking for something different and i would enter
    the world of hollow body .
    Since i play in a terrible way i do not want to spend money for a " too much " series 6 , so i'm interested in
    something cheaper : 5120 ( out of range ) or 2420 T ( entry level but with good reviews )
    I tried 2420 T and i know what i could expect .
    Could any of you guys express a frank opinion on 5120 ?
    Maybe 5420 T is even better but too expensive for my level , and i already have Filtertron mounted
    on 5230 T ....
    Thanks a lot !
    THE BALD REVEREND

2. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Country Gent

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    The 5120 was replaced by the 5420 a few years ago so they are basically the same with both made in Korea.

The 2420 is made in Indonesia, that's one of the biggest differences and one of the reasons why it is less expensive. But those are still great guitars, they still play and sound great and there is not a big difference in the quality because the Indonesian guitars today are very good.

The 2420 does have the BT-2S pickups and the sound is the biggest difference, you really have to play both guitars and decide which you prefer. The 2420 (and my 2622) sound more like a humbucker guitar with less Gretsch twang than some of the 5200 models but I still like the sound of mine as kind of an ES335 clone.
    And it's easy to replace the pickups in the 2420 as they are standard HB sized. For example, GFS (Guitar Fetish) sells a lot of decent pickups for not much money that will slip right in.

The standard advice is always to play both and see which you prefer.
    I don't know about the used market over there but that is an option.
    If you're on a tight budget I'd get the 2420. They are sometimes on sale here in the US that makes them an incredible bargain.

ALS57 likes this.
  3. tolm

tolm Gretschie

Jan 25, 2016
    UK
    Definitely try both!

I went shopping fairly recently and tried a G5420T and a G2420 ... both were decent ... the G5420T feels almost as good as my pro-line Duo Jet ... and sounds amazing. So, yeh, I ended up going with that.

Streamliner sounds like a decent Epi Dot / Gibson 335 alternative but not as “Gretschy”. The feel was still good but not _as_ good.

Neither comes with a case - so I’ve just ordered the Streamliner case as it’s waaay cheaper. :)

Wjensen and YouFellowRebels like this.
  4. davenumber2

davenumber2 Gretschie

Nov 1, 2019
    Columbia, MO
    I have a 5122 (double cut version of the 5420) and it's a really nice playing and sounding guitar. I replaced the pickups with Blacktop Filtertrons to make it sound more "Gretschy" but there was nothing wrong with the originals. I hear good things about the 2420 although I've never played one. I don't thing you can go wrong either way.

5. tolm

tolm Gretschie

Jan 25, 2016
    UK
    I assume the 5122 is the DC version of the 5120? The 5420 and 5422 come with Blacktop Filter’Trons by default.

6. davenumber2

davenumber2 Gretschie

Nov 1, 2019
    Columbia, MO
    Yes, sorry. It was a typo. I meant 5120.

7. Lockupyourfatdog

Lockupyourfatdog Synchromatic

Aug 8, 2016
    Everett wa
    I’ve had both 5120’s and 2420’s. I like the 2420’s better in almost every way. The broadtron pickups sound better. The guitar feels sturdier. Has a comfortable neck with cool block inlays. The only thing I don’t like about the 2420 is the wimpy f holes. But I don’t like the 5120 f holes either. However I was able to carve those out to look better. So my personal opinion..2420 all the way!

ALS57 and calebaaron666 like this.
  8. THE BALD REVEREND

Jul 14, 2020
    MILAN - ITALY
    GRE.. AT !!!
    Thanks to all of you for this plenty of opinions !
    Appreciated !
    Last question : since i often play at home just for me or to train i would like to know if the voice of these guitars while unplugged is nice and audible or kinda dumb .
    I briefly tested 2420 in a noisy shop and it seemed to me a little silent .
    KEEP ON TWANGIN' !!

9. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Well the old 51 series Electromatics were not as great the current 54 series E's but still better than anything in Streamliner range imo.

The old 5120 had Gretschbuckers (standard humbuckers) which were decent pups and made in Korea to equal standard of 54 series E's. Can still find them on the used market for cheap. I'd much rather have a good used 5120 than any Streamliner :D

Wjensen and Trash Kidd like this.
  10. kjmac

kjmac Gretschie

Mar 7, 2018
    Omaha, NE
    I have a G5420T and a G2655T Streamliner and I would have no problem stacking a G2420 up against my 5420. They do sound a little different because of the different pickups, but both guitars are of good quality and both play very well. Sometimes, if you are patient, you will come across a deal on the G2420 in the $400 - $450.00 price range. At that price it is a steal.

Here is a picture of my G2655T after a few minor mods.

Gretsch G2655T-2.jpg

11. THE BALD REVEREND

Jul 14, 2020
    MILAN - ITALY
    Very nice , indeed 2655 was in my first wish list along with 2622 ( in Imperial stain color it is a queen ! )
    but later on i shifted towards a full-bodied one , so i got the doubt between 5120 ( which is no more available in shops ) and 2420 .
    Anyone could spend aword about the "unplugged "volume ?

bhatta likes this.
  12. Gregor

Gregor Synchromatic

Oct 17, 2018
    New Brunswick, Canada
    My 5120 has decent unplugged volume.....so much so that if I ever end up in a nursing home, I'll have to let it go and use my solid body 5220 and headphones(wouldn't want to wake the dead). I would say the 5120 has maybe half the volume of an acoustic. Can't comment on the 2420 as I've never played one.

13. ALS57

ALS57 Gretschie

Jun 17, 2019
    London
    I play my my 2420 70% of the time unplugged and it's fantastic. Quieter than an accoustic which is ideal when other people are in the house. I don't know about a 5120

As for finish, I compared a 2420 and a 5420 side by side in a shop and could barely notice any difference in overall finish. I was lucky picking up a mint 2420 for just over £200

sgarnett and Gregor like this.
  14. THE BALD REVEREND

Jul 14, 2020
    MILAN - ITALY
    You guys are G R E A T !!!
    I collected more infos in two days with your help than surfing two weeks on the web .
    T H A N K S !!!
    GOD "BLUES" YOU !!

15. tolm

tolm Gretschie

Jan 25, 2016
    UK
    Indeed - I use my 5420 for much the same: loud enough to play unplugged and be enjoyable but not as loud as an acoustic would be so doesn't disturb family members in other rooms.

Yup, that's why I bought it. Nothing at all to do with the Fairline Blue just looking' awesome hanging on the wall. Absolutely no chance I bought it for that. Nope ...

ALS57 and Gregor like this.
  16. sgarnett

sgarnett Synchromatic

Apr 14, 2020
    Kentucky
    The 2420 has parallel tone bar bracing, with no soundpost. I don't know about the 5120, but the 5420 does have a soundpost. The 2420 is probably going to be the liveliest and loudest acoustically, but also a little more prone to feedback. I have a 2420 and a 6120 (which has trestle bracing, essentially several soundposts), but I don't have a 5420. Anyway, the 2420 is definitely louder, while the 6120 has a more balanced tone.

It is a little odd to me to have the hottest pickups (Broad'tron/BT-2S) in the model most sensitive to gain, but oh well. Even though I usually play the 2420 unplugged, I did remove half of the pole screws to make it sound more "Gretschy" when I do plug it in. That's a cheap and popular mod, and for good reason.

Anyway, don't let the country of origin bother you too much. The 2420 is a very well made guitar. I've had a lot of fun with mine.

ALS57 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.