Electro double jet bigsby mounting issue

Discussion in 'The Great Bigsby forum' started by mrcoffee23, Nov 21, 2020.

1. mrcoffee23

mrcoffee23 Gretschie

Sep 23, 2009
    Virginia, USA
    I decided on a B30 for my Electro Double Jet, but am having an issue mounting it. The import model Bigsbys have that little extra block of metal right in front of the hinge that raises it up off the body for mounting, which I imagine is there to make mounting easier in terms of knowing how high/low to raise the end of it.

I have placed my B30 on the guitar, and the 'headstock' end of the Bigsby wobbles--the two areas with the felt do not come into contact with the body at the same time due to the carve of the top.

What are my options here? Should I just add some sort of felt under the lowest part of the end that is not touching (which is under the axle/bar that holds the strings)? If so what materials would you suggest?

Thanks for any suggestions!

2. Gregor

Gregor Synchromatic

Oct 17, 2018
    New Brunswick, Canada
    I had a similar sitution with the stock Bigsby on my 5120 although maybe a bit less than what your picture shows. The only reason I addressed it as a problem was because I was getting noise from the area of the Bigsby and on investigation noticed it had a gap in the same area. I just put small piece of felt under it and it solved the problem. I would think a felt washer would be the cats meow for you.
    On the other hand maybe it's fine the way it is if you don't notice any problems.
    Good luck.

new6659 and mrcoffee23 like this.
  3. mrcoffee23

mrcoffee23 Gretschie

Sep 23, 2009
    Virginia, USA
    The issue is that the headstock end of it wobbles back and forth like a chair with uneven legs, which can't be good for tuning stability or eventual wear on the top.

I haven't mounted it yet, so I'm not sure what adding string tension would do to the situation. My thought is to put a felt pad under the closest point to the body---but that's not where the factory felt pad is, so not sure if that is the right solution.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2020
  4. Gregor

Gregor Synchromatic

Oct 17, 2018
    New Brunswick, Canada
    I don't know where everybody is on this question. Anyway I thought this might be a help if you don't already have it:
    https://www.fmicassets.com/sites/bigsby.com/support/GG04_B3_Eng_low.pdf
    What you might want to do is string it up just using the strap button hole only before you go drilling any holes (completely reversible). It's a different beast with the strings on and then you can visualize how things line up for you. Google is your friend here as well. Just a thought.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2020 at 9:00 AM
    mrcoffee23 likes this.
  5. mrcoffee23

mrcoffee23 Gretschie

Sep 23, 2009
    Virginia, USA
    Thanks for that, all information this is helpful, and this one should help a lot.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.