Electrical issue with new P90's

Discussion in 'Technical Side of Things' started by ABojie, Jul 5, 2020.

1. section2

section2 Country Gent

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    FYI, the original pickups from your guitar are called Broadtrons. The other main Gretsch pickup models are Filtertrons, Dynasonics, Hilotrons, and Super Hilotrons. (There are some other models, but they're less common.)

2. DougWheeler74

DougWheeler74 Gretschie

Jul 10, 2019
    NE Wisconsin
    Here is the schematic of a 2622 and it looks to match your guitar. If it doesn't I am surmising that it is close. If somehow due to a short (possibly bent tabs on pots?) and it ended up wired with both pickups connected to the master volume you will get what you described. Gretsch 2622 Schematic.png Both pick ups always on = switch is bypassed.

3. ABojie

ABojie Electromatic

Jul 5, 2020
    Thank you for all your suggestions. The good news is that we are up and running. So that this may be of value to someone else in the future, this is what I did.

I pulled all the electronics out of the guitar again and then tested the pickup function. Everything functioned as it should. Volumes, tone, the whole shooting match. I used an allen wrench on the pickups to determine this, but it was good enough of course to detect volumes, toggle switch and tone pot.

So having assessed that all was good and solder joints were holding strong, I figured it must be the outer shroud that some how is contacting something and causing this crazy fault, so with insulation tape I isolated the outer shroud of the new pickups and installed and she plays like a dream.

Nice to have a happy ending. and thanks again all that chimed in with ideas.

Andrew

section2 and Ricochet like this.
  4. ABojie

ABojie Electromatic

Jul 5, 2020
    Thanks Doug. I'm certain now that it was a short, I'm assuming from the exposed shroud, but regardless with that insulated I have no more issues. Thanks for chiming in.

5. ABojie

ABojie Electromatic

Jul 5, 2020
    Yes, I figured I might have the type of pickup wrong. I am new to Gretsches but I love the feel and the clean tone. Only thing I was not super excited about was the sound with a little drive, just gets a little fizzy for me but the P90's are now doing a great job. Thanks for the info.

section2 likes this.
  6. DougWheeler74

DougWheeler74 Gretschie

Jul 10, 2019
    NE Wisconsin
    Yay! Good to know you got it working.

7. section2

section2 Country Gent

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    Glad to hear you got it sorted out! Enjoy that guitar.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.