El Pescadoro vs JR Barnyard size comparison

Discussion in 'Pedal Pushers Forum' started by Merc, Jun 7, 2021.

1. Pine Apple Slim

Pine Apple Slim Country Gent

Dec 14, 2011
    North Alabama
    I have both.
    I tend to use the El Pesc with my old Crate Vintage Club 2110r. It way outshines the tiny little reverb tank in that amp and it does some really nice vintage sounding things to the pushed mid grunt of that little 1-10"combo. Especially if you hit it with P90s.
    With my Carr Rambler's killer reverb and trem circuit the El Pesc is kinda superfluous, and I tend to use the Jr B with it instead. The Carr is a much cleaner amp with way more headroom and the Jr B has that extra gain stage for a little more kick and grit.
    Plus the Jr B sounds great as an upright bass preamp.

nickurso and Merc like this.
  2. nickurso

nickurso Gretschified

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    There were a few of us that started doing it that way. Right now my set up is like this: tuner>el Pescadoro >mystery brain with the fluid drive in the fx loop of the mystery brain. I feel like thus gives me the best of the most number of combinations

F62E0794-ECDA-4D02-A9CA-C441CEE19095.jpeg

sgarnett, gtttrrr, Bertotti and 2 others like this.
  3. Merc

Merc Friend of Fred

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    I absolutely love it and it’s a never sell pedal for me. For the preamp side, it is the exact analog circuit from the EP3 to include orange drop caps and also bumping the voltage up to the proper 22 volts. The preamp is subtle but it’s there. Some players report hearings a slight hiss due to the original circuit, but I haven’t yet. While a lot of delays can pull off a good slapback easily, this delay really shines and is separated from the pack once you slow down the repeats… beautiful and dreamy. A lot of tape delays simply darken the repeats. The Deluxe seems to lose a bit of the bass a little as the repeats go on. Which is what I’ve heard a real tape often does. But I’ve never been blessed to play real tape. A key factor for the delay magic to me when using it is that you can adjust the record level (how hard the input is hitting the virtual tape much like the original). Not that I use the oscillation switch much, but you can set the speed it’ll ramp up using a internal trim pot. Mine ramped up way too fast from the Catalinbread. So it’s worth mentioning. This is literally is an Echoplex minus the real tape. Simply put, this is Echoplex magic in a box. Similar to how a Mystery Brain does it for an Roland RE-301. And yup, the Deluxe also loves having a JR Barnyard preamp and/or Brain in front of it. It all depends on the guitar and mood.

Btw, I picked it up direct from Catalinbread last Christmas. They had a sale shipped for $312 if I remember. Maybe they’ll do it again this Christmas if you’re interested and want to save a few bucks.

gtttrrr likes this.
  4. Merc

Merc Friend of Fred

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    That’s what I thought for some reason. I really like the aged glow. I’m convinced my first Nocturne pedal had a coat of polyurethane on it too. The rear cover stayed a minty green. But the top and sides appeared to me to have been shot with poly. It gave it the coolest Atomic green glow in person. See the front and back for comparison. Another member here currently has the pedal.

Attached Files:

TV the Wired Turtle and Bertotti like this.
  5. Tele295

Tele295 Country Gent

Here is my pedalboard from my recording session the other night. I love both the Pescadoro and the Mystery Brain, so I set it up with the Barnyard/Pescadoro going into a VibroKing, and the Mystery Brain into a tweed Tremolux. I used the Mystery + Tremolux on our previous album, and it sounded great.

I haven’t edited and mixed the parts yet, so I can’t post any clips, but it sounded huge and cool in the headphones. Engineer want me to play in to the control room, and each amp set up in a different room, so I missed that amp proximity.
    933BE1A5-80FB-4992-A720-B04F917F90DD.jpeg

Last edited: Jun 10, 2021
  6. nickurso

nickurso Gretschified

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    Nice set up.

Merc and Tele295 like this.
  7. gtttrrr

gtttrrr Country Gent

Dec 7, 2011
    United States
    Awesome, thanks for the rundown! I am always considering selling my El Cap, love the sounds, but am afraid to touch the thing when I get it where I want it:eek::confused:! Both would be optimal, but can’t justify that at this time. I’ve got too much stuff for a “play for my own amazement” level that I’m at at this point in my musical journey. Jam with buddies sometimes, but mostly just creative outlet at this point. Two kids within a couple years of headin to college, so $pend on gear is just not in the plans. Believe the one thing I would miss most would be the tap tempo..

Merc likes this.
  8. gtttrrr

gtttrrr Country Gent

Dec 7, 2011
    United States
    I had that exact color one as well, LOVED that color.... sold it to fund MB, wish i had just kept that one :(

Merc and TV the Wired Turtle like this.
  9. Merc

Merc Friend of Fred

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    I would like your post except for the :(.

gtttrrr likes this.
  10. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    Sandy Eggo
    guilty as charged.. I was too lazy to scuff n coat the base plates haha, so the base plate is the powdercoated sea foam green :)

Merc and nickurso like this.
  11. Merc

Merc Friend of Fred

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    You’re welcome. Since you love the sounds of the El Cap, then I don’t know if I’d recommend switching. Especially if you play by tap tempo. Although I do believe you can adjust the delay on the fly with the Deluxe when using an expression pedal on some settings.

I’ve never played the El Cap to compare. But I believe it offers more wow and flutter than the BED if that’s your thing. I’d hate for you to sell and than not be happy with with BED. It’s a pretty simple pedal that sounds amazing to my ears. But the key part there is “my ears” and we’re all different.

Btw, if the knobs are too touch sensitive… throw on some sticker jewels to mark your ideal settings. You can probably get some in a crafts store or Walmart for a buck or two. I did that with the Adineko for the stock oil can delay sound until I became familiar enough with it using my ear.

gtttrrr likes this.
  12. gtttrrr

gtttrrr Country Gent

Dec 7, 2011
    United States
    Yeah, great idea, would like the El Cap more if they had LED’s to show where the secondary features are dialed (each knob has two functions). Not being able to see where the “hidden” settings are dialed in always frustrates me about the El Cap, makes adjustment more difficult.

Merc likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.