El Pescadoro vs JR Barnyard size comparison

Discussion in 'Pedal Pushers Forum' started by Merc, Jun 7, 2021.

1. Merc

Merc Friend of Fred

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    Thought I’d post a side by side shot size comparison for anyone thinking of picking one of these up this year.

Both the El Pescadoro and JR Barnyard really nail that octal tube amp in pedal form. The preference for one over the other would come down to price, pedalboard size, and if you want an additional reverb matched for it. Having both simply allows you tailor your board in the future. But really you’d likely be happy with either one for that vintage tone.

CF606654-A079-4104-A6AA-A348AB18A4CC.jpeg E1A9C759-A428-47B4-BCBD-A4A585FF707E.jpeg

2. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Nice comparison Merc

Merc and TV the Wired Turtle like this.
  3. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
  4. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    Now there's a great PSA!

Merc likes this.
  5. Merc

Merc Friend of Fred

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    pmac11, thunder58 and audept like this.
  6. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Is the pescadoro smaller than the mystery brain?

Merc likes this.
  7. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Yes, here's a size comparison of various Nocturne pedals:
    IMG_0039.JPG

Henry, Trash Kidd and Merc like this.
  8. stiv

stiv Country Gent

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
    Do any of you fellas use El Pesky/Jr.Barnyard on the clean channel of a solid state amp? I love my Standel clean sound and I'd like to have an always-on preamp that could give me some saturation without changing the tone (like the pedals I'm using now do), but my amp doesn't have tubes to saturate...:)

TV the Wired Turtle and Merc like this.
  9. Merc

Merc Friend of Fred

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    A bit smaller. It’s about 4 and 5/8” wide, and 3 and 5/8” tall if that helps. The top mounted jacks save it some board room for being a two in one pedal too.

Henry likes this.
  10. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    Sandy Eggo
    ya totally. I have both a Tonemaster Deluxe which is a digital solid state amp and a grip of Quilter amps.

I had the Jr Barnyard out about a year and a half when the Quilter Pro Block started making its rounds through the roots rock community, and one prolific guitarist and band leader who uses my stuff is Tommy Harkenrider of The Memphis Kings. These guys move between west coast blues, jump blues, bebop jazz and 50s R&B. Tommy got sponsored by Quilter and started using the Jr Barnyard in front of that and it made the amp come alive. I was thumbing my nose at those amps until this point.. As of yesterday I had 4 quilters! :) Just sold my 101 head for the new Superblock. I suggest grabbing one of these little amps, they arent expensive and you barely need to move the attenuator above 15 watts to just get a big beautiful sound with any good preamp. Obviously I'm gonna mention mine but you could get a great clean tone w one of these amps a Boss GE-7 eq/boost for example.

Here Paul Pigat is running through my Bettie Blondeshell amp w a grez guitar, and Tommy has the quilter problock on a nocturne 112 w the Jr Barnyard on. He solos after Pauls initial solo right around 1:45. That should let you hear some of this.. Tommy tends to ride his tone control for a warmer sound. Paul is the oppposite, he had the mystery brain AND the Jr Barnyard on. :)

gtttrrr, Merc, Shadowy_Man and 4 others like this.
  11. nickurso

nickurso Gretschified

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    Here is a side by side of a first run of both pedals

2C165ECC-11FA-451E-8779-B04406FEF214.jpeg 48E6595F-55CA-47FF-96D2-3CDC296361EC.jpeg

Merc likes this.
  12. Merc

Merc Friend of Fred

May 6, 2017
    Florida

That’s a very cool first JR Barnyard. Maybe it’s just me but the white looks to have aged slightly to a very pleasant tone.

nickurso likes this.
  13. Merc

Merc Friend of Fred

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    Such killer playing. I’m sure I’m not the only one wishing they were there that evening.

14. nickurso

nickurso Gretschified

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    I don’t think it was ever a Snow White color it was more egg shell. I guess that’s a question for @TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle and Merc like this.
  15. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    The JrBarnyard and Mystery Brain really do work well together. Do you have a preference which is first? I tend the like the MB before the JrB.

Merc and TV the Wired Turtle like this.
  16. gtttrrr

gtttrrr Country Gent

Dec 7, 2011
    United States
    How’s the Epoch Deluxe?

Merc likes this.
  17. gtttrrr

gtttrrr Country Gent

Dec 7, 2011
    United States
    Daaayem,,, great sounds abound!

Merc likes this.
  18. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    Sandy Eggo
    Those first JR Barnyards are all flying lead (tons of wiring inside) and I was using a solvent proof vinyl logo over white powdercoat boxes w a clear coat of silver glitter. I then shot a polyurethane clear over the enclosure to seal the logo onto the box. Over time you see yellowing over white products in the same way say an olympic white gibson SG looks almost banana yellow over the years. :) I used to call the paint color
    "dirty snow white" because the powder coaters always jacked up the glitter coverage and used cheap flake that was only shiny on one side. In anycase, those folks sold the business to a much more competent crew.

nickurso likes this.
  19. nickurso

nickurso Gretschified

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    I used to use the jr barnyard before the mystery brain because I liked to hit the echo with the gritty preamp of the jr barnyard. I was also using the echo as more of a doubling or reverb so the el Pescadoro really covers that. Now with both the MB & the EP I cover a lot of different ground. Ad in the fluid drive and it gives me whatever I need

TV the Wired Turtle and Bertotti like this.
  20. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Heck I hadn’t tried it with the echo! Thanks!

TV the Wired Turtle and nickurso like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.