Eek! Heart trouble....

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by markeebee, Jul 6, 2019.

1. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    Best wishes, wish you were here so they would get you in within a few days rather than weeks.

T Bone likes this.
  2. markeebee

markeebee Country Gent

Of course I remember you Nala, you daft sod.

That's great to hear, more power to you. There's still a chance that they might elect to fit stents rather than go for a bypass, but the doc thought that it was inevitable that they would have to perform a bypass at some future point, so best to do it now while I'm 'relatively' young and fit.

I will definitely be following your lead with regard to diet. We could start G-T recipe corner.

catfish72 likes this.
  3. markeebee

markeebee Country Gent

Thanks everybody for your kind thoughts, I'm very touched. I'm really OK, I just bought a new guitar and amp so I need to stick around a bit longer :p

The surgery is largely cautionary rather than curative in my case. There's very little danger of a heart failure any time soon, but it's not going to get better on its own. I'm relaxed about it being weeks away rather than days, the team at the cardio unit are excellent and I trust their judgement 100%,

Thanks again you lovely people. I've got a NGD and NAD thread to write now....

blueruins, larryb, Henry and 2 others like this.
  4. catfish72

catfish72 Synchromatic

Oct 23, 2011
    London, UK
    Whatever they do, stents or bypass, it's like getting a superpower. I even started playing my guitar again, I have so much energy now is unbelievable. Last week I ran 15 miles session and worked in the garden for the rest of that afternoon.

Can't wait to complete my first marathon so I can start training for Ironman/Ultramarathon or some other crazy race I wouldn't dream of before. I didn't feel this good even in my teens and 20s, I'm 47.5 now.

If you start recipe corner, I'll be happy to contribute, I'll even send you some of my sourdough culture so you can make yourself a decent low GI loaf.

Whole foods, plant based and not too much of it is the way that seems to work well for me so far.

Again, I wish you best of luck. :)

5. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    Best to you and keep pushing forward.

6. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    You'll be okay Mark lots of Gretschers here praying for ya!

blueruins likes this.
  7. Get your body ready for surgery . . .
    seriously, the extra vitamin C (helps collagen synthesis and healing fast )
    and protein/maybe fish but even steaks with fat cut out too imho . . .
    and rest . . .

The leg incisions are no joke either . . . better to heal those fast as body allows, as getting up and avoiding infection will be important.

You'll be fine with prayers and the doctor's pre-op teaching . . .

blueruins and markeebee like this.
  8. Poeticas

Poeticas Electromatic

Jun 24, 2019
    Florida

9. Poeticas

Poeticas Electromatic

Jun 24, 2019
    Florida
    Wow, I'll keep your warning in heed. I just recently had a blood test and lipid test done and my cholesterol is very high. I better take it seriously. Thank you for sharing.

Edited- sorry for the double post, still learning the system here :)

10. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    As one who has a cardiologist for a best friend, I can say that it ain't what you eat that matters most, it's how much you eat. Don't kid yourself into thinking that cutting back on high fat foods will make a lick of difference. It's all in your weight and your genetics. Drink in moderation at most and don't smoke.

Mark - hope the bypass goes well and that your recovery is speedy!

11. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    What did the doctor recommend?

12. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Friend of Fred

All the best to you Mark!

My father had a heart attack and subsequent bypass at 64. I just turned 64 this year, and I'll be checking with a cardiologist soon. No symptoms, but I want to be on the safe side.

audept likes this.
  13. afire

afire Country Gent

A few years ago my dad had his knees replaced, and the whole ordeal damned near killed him. More recently he had quintuple bypass surgery. You'd think that would be the real nightmare. It was like nothing. I realize it isn't nothing. But it is astonishing how much this type of procedure has advanced in recent years.

blueruins and audept like this.
  14. DannyB

DannyB Gretschie

Apr 26, 2019
    Michigan
    Good luck and Godspeed with your procedure Mark and best wishes for a speedy recovery. Like you I have always exercised, eaten right, gone for my annual physical, taken whatever meds I need to take and so far all is fine but I am 58 so I worry about the aging process and also how certain genetic inheritances could override all my efforts above. All of us here in the forum wish you the best

15. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    Sandy Eggo
    Just read the news, sounds like a bit of plumbing for the ticker. My father in law had to get a stent, but he then dropped out all sugar and bread, started walking 3 miles a day. He's healthier than ever for an old bloke. You've got decades on him. You'll be in good hands and back on track in no time, positive focus and blessings on you. Prayer to boot.

Jena, larryb and audept like this.
  16. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Well, at least you caught it in time! I have a shop manager who went hunting a few years ago. He got a bloody nose and it was so bad it jammed his gun up. So home he goes and the first thing he does is clean the guitar with rags stuffed in his nose, but the bleeding won't stop, so ER time. They couldn't stop it either so they put a ballon in and filled it up to keep the pressure on it. They told him his blood pressure and he should see his doctor. Well, they are telling a friend of theirs about this, the next morning who just happens to be a Nurse for a caridac doc. She freaks out when she hears his BP. Has him in the cardia ward the next day and triple bypass the day after. His blood pressure was so hi it busted the vessel in his nose. Probably saved his life.

17. Poeticas

Poeticas Electromatic

Jun 24, 2019
    Florida
    I saw the PA since the doctor was on vacation, but she didn't say anything! Just told me it was pretty high. I am going to have to ask what I should do when I go back. Does high cholesterol come from eating too much fats?

18. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    For the most part, what you eat has very little impact on your cholesterol - at least not in a way that would take you from "okay" to "danger Will Robinson". The more overweight you are, the higher your cholesterol often is. After that, it's genetics. Or really, the other way around.

We're seeing little to no heart disease in people who have low calorie intake and little to no body fat - Ethiopian people for instance. But when Ethiopians come to the US (we have a lot of them immigrate to my town) and start to gain weight and get bellies etc, they start to have more heart issues. If your PA thinks your numbers are high, there should be some kind of recommendation.

19. markeebee

markeebee Country Gent

Off to hospital today. I hope the surgeon has sharpened his teaspoon.

Will report back ASAP.

larryb, JC higgy, MTurner and 3 others like this.
  20. PDogga

PDogga Gretschie

Jul 3, 2011
    Perth
    Good luck Markee. I hope they get you sorted as quickly and easily as possible.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.