Econo Hard Case or Good Gig Bag?

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by MrWookiee, Jul 23, 2020.

1. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Synchromatic

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    As a collector (not yet a very good player) with over a dozen guitars so far, (and no I don't think that's a lot) I got tired of the expense and room taken up by so many hard cases.
    My most expensive guitars deserve their own hard case but otherwise gig bags work great for keeping the dust off in home storage.

You need one or two hard cases for each type of guitar you own for carrying to practice or gigs. In my case LP, SG, Strat/Tele, 335, Dreadnought, etc. But lately I've been buying $50 gig bags and like them.

thunder58 likes this.
  2. MrWookiee

MrWookiee Electromatic

Jun 17, 2020
    SoCal, USA
    As a neophyte guitarist I haven't traveled with it at all but the nearest shop is 80 miles away so it'll be a big deal when I do. I may take it to friends' houses but won't be gigging with it any time soon. I value protection over convenience and have hard cases for my wind instruments (I do gig with those). I guess the rub is that hard cases take up a lot of space. I've been leaving my guitar on a stand but since the big earthquakes we had last summer (you may have read about them) I try to keep things in their cases. I'm nearly out of room though. o_O

Last edited: Jul 24, 2020
  3. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Just an FYI - some have heard the story before when I was looking for a case for my G5422-12 / 12 string .
    Case with stencil " Gretsch " - $169
    Case with stencil " Ibenez " - $69
    Both identical / TKL hard case , yes a $100 difference
    Imagine the cost without a stencil :rolleyes:

We spent about an hour looking through his stock for a case due to it being a 12 string . The salesmen told me to go on line and order the Ibenez as he could not find anything in stock to fit . Last case he found was the " Gretsch " . I was an hour from home and he must have felt bad for me so he offered the Gretsch case to me for $104 . I would have been fine with the Ibenez case but did not want the hassle of returning it over the internet should it have not worked out .

wabash slim and MrWookiee like this.
  4. Robbie

Robbie Friend of Fred

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    Good choice, hard case all the way.

5. peterjcb

peterjcb Gretschie

Nov 28, 2017
    USA
    Hard cases are always the best but sometimes a hard case isn't really necessary. I have hard cases for all my guitars but a lot of times a smaller lighert gig bag is all that is needed. Gig bags do come in handy..

6. Back in Black

Back in Black Gretschie

Jun 22, 2020
    Ontario Canada
    Mr. W.

Only one answer.

And as well as tell you, I'll show you.

I found this little gem in a shop in Minnesota, while on a business trip, 16 years ago.

This ''student model'' 900 precedes John Lennon's 325 by one year.

It needed a little cleanup, key replacement as the plastic buttons had turned to dust, other than that...dead mint!

Why was it still so nice, virtually intact after all these years...THE CASE!!! And, the little short scale case is just as cool as the little guitar it has protected for 63 years.

The bridge cover has since been replaced, this part became readily available again when Rickenbacker re-introduced their vintage mandolin.

Quick story, the Guitar Center shop associate brought the guitar up from the basement, written in maker pen on a strip of masking tape placed across the case was written ''do not sell this guitar''. I got the store manager involved, he asked, do you want this guitar, the response was a resounding ''yes''...would you pay $1000...no brainer, right, he pulled the strip of tape off the case, guitar was mine.

Luckily the case was short enough to fit in the plane cabin overhead bins...the guitar didn't get far from my sight during the trip home. I used to travel with a ''guitar purchase reserve''...for moments just like this.

BIB.

IMG_1086.JPG IMG_1084.JPG IMG_1089.JPG IMG_1090.JPG

7. mike77rios

mike77rios Gretschie

Nov 13, 2011
    san Diego
    How about a case for a G5220?

8. Johnny ray

Johnny ray Electromatic

Jun 29, 2018
    Indiana
    Yes get a hard case for it. Sweetwater has them for about $139.

9. Pine Apple Slim

Pine Apple Slim Country Gent

Dec 14, 2011
    North Alabama
    The only thing I carry exclusively in a gig bag is my partscaster tele. And really that’s only for the pockets, lol.

MrWookiee likes this.
  10. benderb9

benderb9 Electromatic

Dec 10, 2019
    Saint Petersburg, FL
    measure your upper and lower bouts + thickness. Then get the right Guardian Case

11. I’ve never understood the gig bag theory. To me it’s like driving in a car and not wearing seatbelts or airbags, I wouldn’t do it. Regardless of how convenient it may be. Case.

Gregor likes this.
  12. Steveric

Steveric Electromatic

Jun 11, 2020
    Portsmouth uk
    the only problem with a hard case is they can be heavy, if you have to carry up and down here and there, and I take the point about advertising what you are carrying there are some really good quality gig bags now sling over your shoulder and away you go and most think a cheap acoustic

13. rake_ether

rake_ether Gretschie

Aug 24, 2019
    Athens, GA USA
    I don't have even one hard case (yet, this is due to change this Thursday, stay tuned) and the few times I've traveled a short distance with a guitar I used one of my gig bags. My guitars mostly hang on the wall. But if the question is about traveling this gigging player prefers an admittedly expensive gig bag.

14. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    The worst hard case will still protect your guitar better than the best gig bag.

Yeah, they're heavy. I lugged mine around in hand for the years I was in the service. The guitar survived everything. A hard case is an insurance policy.

15. SAguitar

SAguitar Gretschie

Jan 17, 2020
    Oregon
    Hard core, hard case all the time. Over the years I acquired a few gig bags with some guitars, and I gave those bags away to younger guys who didn't see the need to carry a hard case. Protection isn't cheap or lightweight.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.