Econo Hard Case or Good Gig Bag?

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by MrWookiee, Jul 23, 2020.

1. MrWookiee

MrWookiee Electromatic

Jun 17, 2020
    SoCal, USA
    I'm looking for something in which to carry my G2627T. Considering that I'm a beginner, and not planning to gig any time soon (not on guitar anyway), I'll probably only take my guitar to a shop (for a setup) or to a friend's house (to learn/jam). I have hard cases for all of my horns but the new Protec Gold hollowbody gig bag looks great for $65 compared to a cheap-o Gretsch hard case at twice the price. The Gator 335-sized hard case looks better than the Gretch case though. Yeah, I'm over-thinking... as usual.

CKC411 and Back in Black like this.
  2. CaliforniaSlim

CaliforniaSlim Gretschie

Jul 21, 2016
    My 2 cents- get a hard case. Any old one that fits the guitar. They just offer more protection.

hcsterg, Zeek, Johnny ray and 5 others like this.
  3. Gregor

Gregor Gretschie

Oct 17, 2018
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Slim has my vote. You might find a used one on Craig's List or some such place. Even a "beat up" hard case will offer better protection than a gig bag imo....and if you think you won't bump or bang it on something, forget it. Talking from experience here and more than once.

4. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Hard case, hands down. It doesn't necessarily have to be a Gretsch branded case (Blasphemy!). I found Epi cases to fit mine and saved $$$. Even some generic MF/GC cases might work.

5. capnhiho

capnhiho Synchromatic

Feb 16, 2013
    California
    Solid body guitars: gig bag OK
    Hollow body guitars: hard case only!

6. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Glarry Music - a step up from cardboard
    Guitar Fetish - a step up from Glarry

pilgrim, Dave Murray, PDMan and 2 others like this.
  7. MrWookiee

MrWookiee Electromatic

Jun 17, 2020
    SoCal, USA
    Thanks, all! I found the proper Gretsch case (G6421FT) on Amazon. Ordered a "used/like new" (c.f. the "annoying terms" thread lol) one for about $30 less than new. It's on the way...

Zeek, Johnny ray, Dave Murray and 5 others like this.
  8. kjmac

kjmac Gretschie

Mar 7, 2018
    Omaha, NE
    I also say hard case. I wouldn't carry anything with a tilt back head stock in a gig bag.

MrWookiee likes this.
  9. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Synchromatic

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    Not trying to cause problems here.

But I think that case (G6421FT) is for the thicker 5420 size guitars. I don't know why they also list the 5422.

Your G2627 should fit well in most 335-sized cases. IMO the Gretsch cases are expensive and not that great until you get up to the $180+ range.
    My two G2622s fit perfectly in this $110 Silver Creek case. https://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/silver-creek-vintage-archtop-hollowbody-guitar-case?rNtt=silver creek case&index=5
    But I bought mine when they were on sale for $80.
    The bottom of this case has an angled cushion that supports the body 100%. Look closely at the second pic and you can see the cushion. In the thicker 5420-sized case the guitar hangs from the neck with very little body support AFAIK.
    This thread shows pics of my first G2622 in this case: https://www.gretsch-talk.com/threads/case-for-5622t.203032/#post-1276975

And BTW that Silver Creek case is really nice, nicer than most that cost twice as much. 6 latches, two neck support cushions, padded handle that is the most comfortable I've ever seen, just really a high quality case. Much nicer than the Gretsch.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2020
    Dave Murray, thunder58 and MrWookiee like this.
  10. DonC

DonC Electromatic

Aug 11, 2019
    Saranac, NY
    Given the weight of the instrument, which increases potential impacts, I'd say hard-case. Even cheap fake leather cardboard.

MrWookiee likes this.
  11. montereyjack66

montereyjack66 Country Gent

Feb 29, 2012
    LA-ish
    Unless you have specific reason to use a gig bag, $, mass transit travel, tiny personal vehicle, etc a hard case is money well spent. If you go used, make sure you measure your instrument and obtain internal measurements on the case. On the other hand, with COVID, less time pressure for any decisions.

MrWookiee likes this.
  12. Wjensen

Wjensen Gretschie

May 25, 2019
    Raleigh, NC
    Glad you selected a hard case. I doesn't matter that it isn't a "Gretsch" case, but carry your guitar around in a hard case. I don't even keep my Les Paul in a gig bag, but use a hard case (a Gator if I recall.) I also keep a spare set of strings and pliars plus extra picks and a capo and other stuff in the case. You just never know...right?

MrWookiee likes this.
  13. MrWookiee

MrWookiee Electromatic

Jun 17, 2020
    SoCal, USA
    But the Gretsch case has "that great Gretsch logo"! :)

Randy99CL and Wjensen like this.
  14. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Gretschie

Nov 26, 2019
    Greybull, WY
    I too am glad you went with a hard case. That's all I own.

pilgrim and MrWookiee like this.
  15. swivel

swivel Country Gent

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    Hard Case. I discovered an Epi 335 case fit my Streamliner great. I think most dealers sell them at $85? I found a used one like new for $35

16. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I’m in the camp that says buy the level of protection you are comfortable with. I have to acoustics that live in gig bags. They travel with me. No one else handles them accidents happen so be prepared and ever vigilant.

17. Wjensen

Wjensen Gretschie

May 25, 2019
    Raleigh, NC
    LOL!

18. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Synchromatic

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    LOL! We've actually discussed this here, there are some of us (me included) who don't want a logo on the side of a case. To thieves it may be like a neon sign flashing "Steal Me First"!!!
    But I'm probably paranoid.

Someone once mentioned that older players, with high-dollar guitars, often carry them in the most beat up, torn up cases...that would likely be the last stolen out of a group.

emitex, Wjensen and MrWookiee like this.
  19. MrWookiee

MrWookiee Electromatic

Jun 17, 2020
    SoCal, USA
    Maybe I'll use some spray paint and stencil, "Wish it was a" above the logo.

Les Pedals, Zeek and thunder58 like this.
  20. TSims1

TSims1 Gretschified

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    It just depends. How do you store your guitars? I leave mine out in my studio on stands. Do you travel with your guitars? I typically don’t anymore. Do you value protection most, or portability?

I used to be a hardcase guy. Now I’m a gigbag guy.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.