Echo Fix Tape Echo

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by YourBlueRoom, Feb 5, 2020.

1. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    The Pedal Show has an Echo Fix in a episode one time. Very cool as most real tape is. But it’s a bit rich for me so I’ll stick with my Mystery Brain and other Tape delay pedals.

MKunie, Robbie, s4wgb and 1 other person like this.
  2. YourBlueRoom

YourBlueRoom Gretschie

Jan 25, 2017
    Nashville, TN
    JHS just posted a great video on the history of tape echo and talks about and demos this unit. Cool stuff.

Merc and s4wgb like this.
  3. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Just throwing this out there .....

Bertotti and Philtertronic like this.
  4. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Tape machines are awesome, but a bit of a pain to keep up. I have a WEM Copicat from the '60s/'70s that i love/hate.
    The pedals are getting very good but still miss a little, when your in the room with them, On a recording they are extremely convincing, probably can't tell, they've even added tape splice warble to them.

pmac11, Merc and calebaaron666 like this.
  5. Scott Fraser

Scott Fraser Country Gent

Jan 14, 2012
    Los Angeles
    I got to use a WEM Copicat on a UK tour a few years ago. Really low fi & crappy, but also really vibey & cool, as long as it's kind of down in the mix.

6. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    I'll also add if you don't have a delay in a loop after the preamp it doesn't matter which unit you use.
    It'll sound muffled and fuzzy up front unless ...... you really want that type of delay sound :eek:

pmac11 and Merc like this.
  7. JCW513

JCW513 Gretschie

Sep 21, 2017
    Boston
    I love Tape Delay....the only one i've played is a Mystery Brain.... But the sound, its just so much more natural to me.

Merc likes this.
  8. Byron

Byron Synchromatic

Sep 4, 2009
    uk
    It's cool that when there's an option for 'delay type', tape delay still stands proud. Works for lots of genres. I regard it as my reverb in a way.

9. Byron

Byron Synchromatic

Sep 4, 2009
    uk
    Always been curious about the TC Electronics Alter Ego. Lots of simulations of vintage tape machines like copycats, binsons, echo plex etc.

10. Charles Conner

Charles Conner Gretschie

May 19, 2016
    Maryland
    I had a fender tape echo back in the early '60's before reverb was built into guitar amplifiers. Back then (before effect pedals) the only built in effect I remember was tremolo. I was playing 5 or 6 nights a week, I had to replace the several feet of 1/4" tape in the cartridge every week to keep it sounding good. Before I bought the echo, I bought an out board reverb unit made by Supro. The reverb sound came out via the unit's own 8" speaker and not from my guitar amp's speaker. The reverb's input signal was supplied from the guitar amp's speaker via clip leads. I had heard rumors, from other guitar players, that Scotty Moore had a special amp with echo built in.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2020
    JCW513 and new6659 like this.
  11. Parttime

Parttime Gretschie

Dec 6, 2018
    Texas
    I’ve been really happy with this and it was under $100 new.

upload_2020-2-9_0-35-43.png

calebaaron666 and Rock Lajoint like this.
  12. Philtertronic

Philtertronic Gretschie

Feb 26, 2014
    scotland
    $2500 for the Echofix? Nahh. If I didn't have a tape echo I'd probably punt for the T-Rex. As it is, I'm happy enough with my Klemt Echolette NG51.
    20200209_075021.jpg

13. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    Tape echo is so fun to play with.
    I agree with @wildeman that the pedals have gotten just as good in most cases. I find delay pedals are definitely more reliable and can sound just like the real thing for guitar... at least for my purposes.
    For recording vocals I LOVE using the real thing if it’s available.

Merc likes this.
  14. YourBlueRoom

YourBlueRoom Gretschie

Jan 25, 2017
    Nashville, TN
    I had looked into this unit but didn't T-Rex recently go out of business? It seems like replacement tape cartridges may be a problem moving forward. I also looked into the Replicator Jr. since it's cheaper and smaller but read a bunch of reviews that said the delay time can't go low enough for slapback and that is all I'd want it for.

thunder58 likes this.
  15. nickurso

nickurso Gretschified

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    I had a fulltone SS tale echo and it sounded great but was fussy as could be and it didn’t like the humidity in Nola. I use my mystery brain and it’s never given me a problem

Merc likes this.
  16. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    I still have one of those. First off the tape that's in the cartridges that Fulltone sells is old junk tape that he bought up at a discount because no one at that time was making a lubricated tape. They haven't even made that tape for at least 10 years or maybe more. I run a studio that still runs tape machines and I know what happens to tape when you leave it sit around in a box for years and years. The nice people at ATR in York, Pa. make new lubricated tape that works and sounds great in the SS cartridges. The problem is that Mr Fuller is a jerk and won't even consider trying the tape (what a rude dude he is).
    Second of all his pinch rollers are garbage and cause all kinds of warble. I bought a few and they go out of shape really quick. In fact one of them was out of shape when I received it and when I sent an email complaining no one ever replied. I had them redone by a really nice guy who uses the old style rubber like on Echoplex wheels and it really holds up well. His name slips my mind right now but I'm sure someone will step in with his name - he does great work.
    These two changes has really made my SS tape Echo way better and more dependable.

17. MKunie

MKunie Synchromatic

Feb 8, 2012
    Vegas,USA
    IMG_3369.JPG
    Echo Fix HUH? THIS will fix your echo! Once dialed in, this new MB is the damned cats whiskers!

18. afire

afire Country Gent

T-Rex is still in business. I wouldn't get one unless I budgeted for a lifetime supply of tape at the time of purchase. The T-Rex Jr. also had me interested for a hot second before I read the same thing you did. Too bad. The price is right about where I could justify making the move to real tape, but it doesn't do the one and only thing I want it to do.

YourBlueRoom, thunder58 and MKunie like this.
  19. Rock Lajoint

Rock Lajoint Synchromatic

Nov 16, 2014
    Sussex, England
    Yep, got one of them and it cost me about 45 GBP, which is around 60 bucks. Love it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.