ebay question

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by rosemary, Aug 6, 2009.

1. rosemary

rosemary Synchromatic

Oct 12, 2008
    pasadena
    Hello Ladies and Gents!!,

im having a bit of a financial issue and am in the process of unloading a few pieces of gear. i may be leaving my job soon, or significantly cutting my hours so im trying to rack up enough cash to sustain me for about atleast 6months...

i just took in my very much beloved musicman stingray 1 GUITAR! 1979 all ash active pickup original vintage beast with the original hardshell case to one of the local "I bought it on ebay " stores. the guy who works there tells me that he'll start the bid off at 10.00, he then tells me that the guitar will go to the highest bidder.. this disturbs me... in my mind i start to think that this means that some joe blow who bids 30.00 right before the auction ends will get the guitar. the gentlemen then tells me that should i want to change the terms of the auction i can choose to do so but preferably in the next 7 days when the item will be placed on ebay. my question is should i ask to have the bidding start higher to ensure a higher return? i've seen vintage stingrays online go for about as much as 1200 and mine comes with the ohsc, as well as the fact that it has the somewhat exclusive white pickguard (only 400 made). i've never placed anything on ebay, nor have i ever directly made a purchase off ebay, so i've had zero experience with this . ANY THOUGHTS OR SUGGESTIONS WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED

THANKS GUYS!!!

2. workknot

workknot Country Gent

Feb 15, 2009
    Brainerd, Minnesota
    On Ebay you can have a buy it now price of your choice or you can also start the bidding at a price you determine. That person did not explain the procedure to you in enough detail. You would have to pay fees if it sells or not through that store.
    Pop's

3. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    eBay allows you to set a reserve. Set the reserve at the lowest conscionable price and hope it goes higher.

4. time2dance

time2dance Electromatic

Jun 22, 2009
    Dallas
    yeah, you can also have a reserve price on the auction where if nobody bids up to a previously specified price, you don't have to sell it. but these things kind of scare away potential bidders. normally, i wouldn't recommend it.

normally, i'd be fine with starting an auction low. $.99 is what i always do. it gets more bidders interested. but with your guitar, i think that's less common, so it's less likely for people to go out and search for a "musicman stingray" than say, a les paul or strat. so i could see high potential for it to sell for less than you expect in an auction. how much money are you looking to make from this guitar?

5. rosemary

rosemary Synchromatic

Oct 12, 2008
    pasadena
    wishful thinking wise.. id say atleast 900.00. the place im going through charges a 40% commission ( ouch!!) so ideally i want to walk away with atleast 450.00-550.00

6. workknot

workknot Country Gent

Feb 15, 2009
    Brainerd, Minnesota
    40% wow what a rip-off that is. I suppose you still have to pay ebay and paypal fees on top of that? If so, I would forget that idea. Give Craigs list a try, I have had good luck there and it is free.
    Pop's

7. cowboybob

cowboybob Gretschie

Jul 20, 2009
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    Holy Water! that seems a bit steep.

Is that common...never have sold on fleabay.

It only costs me 7% to sell $1500 horse critter at the sale barn.....WOW

8. vjf1968

vjf1968 Former Member

Jun 3, 2008
    Philadelphia
    40% COMMISION IS HIGHWAY ROBBERY!!! 20% max is the norm. You might as well sell it yourself on Ebay. You would have to pay fees but that is the price of doing business. I personally would set a reserve price. If some one wants it bad enough they will bid.

Or you can sell it here on G-Talk or the TDPRI and see if anyone bites.

Seriously hold on to that guitar and really give this a re-think.

9. rosemary

rosemary Synchromatic

Oct 12, 2008
    pasadena
    sounds like i need to be in business with you. :) now idea how common it is but what a pain.

10. Jukebox

Jukebox Gretschified

Jun 2, 2008
    Foreston,MN
    DO NOT sell that guitar at a 40% commission!!! THAT is a total rip-off. Heck, I'll sell it on ebay for you, you pay the $5.00 fee for listing and ship it from your house. Just send me pictures......Some people really take advantage of others! GRRRR!!!

11. time2dance

time2dance Electromatic

Jun 22, 2009
    Dallas
    hey, there's an idea... let someone here, a well-trusted gt member with good ebay feedback sell it for you. i could do it for you but i only have a feedback of 85.

but yeah, definitely do not do that 40% crap.

12. ishtar

ishtar Country Gent

And, I'd toss it up on craigslist ASAP. It's free and there's no commission, and if you are in the Dallas metro, you might get a bite. Might be worth considering putting an ad up on Dallas's craigslist and a similar one up in Austin, too. Free listings are wonderful things. You could have it up on craigs while it is up on ebay, too, and you could end the auction if someone was ready to buy at the price posted on craigslist... I think that is okay to do....

13. dan P

dan P Country Gent

Jul 21, 2008
    Kansas City
    Depends on ...if there are any bids, and how much time is left...Agreed, 40-50 percent is crazy, darn money mongers anyway ! My feedback is now over 650 and Im well aquainted the system...Annie cost me about 150.00 dollars to sell on the bay and now wish I had listed on craiglist, but man, you really have to watch the low-ballers, tire kickers and trades....on a recent amp listing, one guy had 225 hot wheels he wanted to trade...gezze louise !

14. Sarah93003

Sarah93003 Friend of Fred

Rosemary, please do not go with those people. It isn't necessary. There are lots of helpers here with plenty of experience with eBay. I have 109 transactions to my name and consider myself pretty saavy with eBay as well as Craigslist. I don't know how many items you are wanting to auction but feel free to PM me for my phone number and I'll be happy to help you or walk you through the steps.

15. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    I'll give you 230 Hot Wheels. :)

16. dan P

dan P Country Gent

Jul 21, 2008
    Kansas City
    a starter for a s-10 and one other item...hated to tell the kid I had no use for...NOT ! Tell you the truth, I do have five or six old ones sitiing somewhere, as well as 5-6000 football cards...did sell the amp though and may have found another guit player for our group...believe it or not I found my current two that way...

17. time2dance

time2dance Electromatic

Jun 22, 2009
    Dallas
    haha i'm not the one who's selling. rosemary is apparently in pasadena, wherever that is.

but yeah, definitely do craigslist too. although it reaches a smaller community of potential buyers, it's easy and free, and as long as you're not a dumbass you won't get scammed.

18. ishtar

ishtar Country Gent

If araT could get the MASH idea out to a broader audience, then people from all over the world would see a bunch of left handed guitars for sale in Fargo, ND...

Just kidding. At this point I am kidding.

But, being from the populated area you are from in CA, Rosemary, craigslist might catch a few eyes.

Thanks for getting my geography straight T2D....

19. ishtar

ishtar Country Gent

Why have I lost my editing button? Does this mean I have to get every post right the first time?

20. Jukebox

Jukebox Gretschified

Jun 2, 2008
    Foreston,MN
    Is it that hard? If it's a problem, let Salty do the typing!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.