Eastwood's take on Gretsch

TSims1

Gretschified
Jun 18, 2013
Atlanta
I just find Eastwood's willingness to co-opt any design to make a buck disturbing.

Agreed. Yuck. Not only do they rip everybody off, they make basically fast-food guitars. They are like the Burger King of guitar. It's a burger........kinda........and you don't REALLY wanna tell your friends that's what you had for dinner........and it likely WILL make you sick. But it's still a burger........kinda..........

Ick. WAY better options on the market.

Andy Fortune

Gretschie
Gold Supporting Member
May 24, 2016
Corning, NY
I was making no comment on the quality of the guitar itself. I've tried to play a few Eastwoods myself in stores and I guess you could say it makes me appreciate RJ Ronquillo's ability even more. I'm sure they get a better setup before he gets hold of them.

LivingMyDream

Friend of Fred
Gold Supporting Member
May 4, 2016
Peculiar, Missouri
There is no doubt that the guitar looks good, and it's being played extremely well. Some love Eastwood, and some don't. I guess my take on Eastwood guitars is that they seem over priced for what they are, but then I've never seen one in person, let alone had the opportunity to play one, so there's that.

Stefan

Country Gent
Jan 20, 2016
Germany
I'm very undecided with Eastwood. I've heard the lil' H44 should be great and also the Airline Tuxedo. The Surfcaster e.g. is a well built and really great sounding guitar, but it is far too expensive with it's bad pots and an el cheapo vibrato. The Gretsch copy is simply impertinent. It's one thing to reproduce old originals but another thing copying existing models. And Tsims1 is right- so many models in a short time can't be a sign of quality.

Andy Fortune

Gretschie
Gold Supporting Member
May 24, 2016
Corning, NY
I thought their initial offerings were a cool idea--modern, affordable versions of vintage, quirky designs that aren't being made anymore. Most of the original guitars they copied were historically not great quality either. Copying the Gretsch seems a bit of an odd choice, with Gretsch already selling lower price versions these days.
As for the impertinence of copying current models...how many Strat, Tele, and Les Paul copies are out there?

Last edited:

Andy Fortune

Gretschie
Gold Supporting Member
May 24, 2016
Corning, NY
We've discussed this a lot too. Fender focused on copyrighting their headstock shapes and Gibson have had their share of lawsuits over their headstock also.

Yes. My point was really just a response to Stefan's comment. Someone copying a current Gretsch model may bother those of us who appreciate the genuine article, but ultimately it's an established business model for many companies, however distasteful, and is more a reflection of the increasing popularity of Gretsch than anything else.

stevo

Friend of Fred
May 1, 2012
Atlanta
Agreed. Yuck. Not only do they rip everybody off, they make basically fast-food guitars. They are like the Burger King of guitar. It's a burger........kinda........and you don't REALLY wanna tell your friends that's what you had for dinner........and it likely WILL make you sick. But it's still a burger........kinda..........

Ick. WAY better options on the market.

LOL!!! Love this comment.

Dennison

Country Gent
Jul 17, 2011
Kent, UK
He's certainly a very good player. And I like the colour of the guitar, but that's about it. Don't like the fretboard markers.

I don't hold Eastwood in very high regard but if they want to make replicas of funky old guitars that are no longer around then good luck to them. But I don't like knock-offs of current Gretsches, not by Eastwood nor anyone else.

drmilktruck

Senior Gretsch-Talker
Double Platinum Member
May 17, 2009
Plymouth, MN
I just find Eastwood's willingness to co-opt any design to make a buck disturbing.

When they released their Billy Bo style model, I posted to the Eastwood forum that it was a blatant Gretsch ripoff. Mike Robinson replied it was a "tribute." This falls into that category. Eastwood is cool when they focus on reviving funky models from the past. Now they're trying to move upmarket seeking bigger profit, but are still playing the same game. Only this time it's with better known originals.

The guitars are typical low cost Chinese made models. Modding & upgrading them is necessary if you really want to use them. The one exception was the original Airline Tuxedo. I had the copper one and I wish I hadn't sold it. Needed better pickups but otherwise was a very fine guitar. The newer version is less so.

ZackyDog

Friend of Fred
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 6, 2015
In the USA
I guess everyone is familiar with these? They "look" hollow, but apparently have a center block.

The 12 string has a nice sound; it sounds like a Rickenbacker to me.