Eastwood Dual Tone anyone?

Discussion in 'Other Cool Guitars' started by calebaaron666, May 23, 2020.

1. stiv

stiv Country Gent

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
    It looks in great shape! Nice guitar. I’m gassing. :)

calebaaron666 likes this.
  2. Byron

Byron Synchromatic

Sep 4, 2009
    uk
    Superb, sure you'll have fun with that. Always thought they're a good platform for messin' with, be great to know how the gold foils work out.

3. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    I’m liking it a lot so far. I just put some 11’s on it. The 10’s that it came with were okay, but I really like 11s on everything.
    The gold foils shipped today, so here’s hoping they get here soon!

4. jfassett

jfassett Synchromatic

Dec 9, 2017
    Tucson
    Would definitely love to hear your thoughts on your Gold foil pick ups, I too have a set, mine are the alnico five Single coils with 5K in the neck and 7K in the bridge, I really like the tone!

5. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Excellent ! :cool::cool::cool:

A+!

6. Jeff67

Jeff67 Synchromatic

Nov 3, 2019
    Crockett, Texas
    I'm curious about those, too. I've been working on my DeArmond M65C- kinda turning it into a GFS pickup tester. It's got a GFS kwikplug harness I put in it, and I've got a pile of their pickups I've collected over the last few years, but I don't have any of the gold foils yet.

jfassett and calebaaron666 like this.
  7. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    I went with the cheezy fridge magnet one, i got a thing for old Japanese weirdness. 20200529_182115.jpg it really works well in a spot i dont usually like on a Strat

jfassett likes this.
  8. Roy Clark

Roy Clark Gretschie

Jun 16, 2017
    Bat cave.
    The Supro version is for sale 500 dollars so the Eastwood is a no go for me.

9. calebaaron666

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    The one with David Bowie’s name on it?

10. Byron

Byron Synchromatic

Sep 4, 2009
    uk
    Wow, where's that? I could be tempted as I like the pickups, but they messed with the shape too much. Bit small n stumpy

11. Roy Clark

Roy Clark Gretschie

Jun 16, 2017
    Bat cave.
  12. Roy Clark

Roy Clark Gretschie

Jun 16, 2017
    Bat cave.
  13. Byron

Byron Synchromatic

Sep 4, 2009
    uk
    That is a good price, unusual to see it so low though. Good job I'm on the other side of the planet, paying shipping, customs and waiting puts me off. Great to see it, someone will grab a bagain

14. calebaaron666

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    Darn good deal!
    I’m happier with mine though. It was $100 cheaper, in great shape, and already had a bigsby installed which saved me the time and labor. Mine has the wrong pickups, but that’s an easy swap.
    I’m sure the pickups in this bowie model are more vintage correct, and I like the white striping on the headstock.
    However, I’m not really interested in a Bowie sig model. I mean, I love classic Bowie, but not enough to own a guitar with his name on it.
    Just like I love 6120’s, but I wouldn’t get a Setzer sig model. Well, I guess I could and just get rid of all the stuff with his name on it. I respect BS’s talent, but I’m not really a fan of his music at all.

Scott likes this.
  15. Byron

Byron Synchromatic

Sep 4, 2009
    uk
    Its always like that with signature models, I did own the RHH6120 as I liked the guitar and the player identity stuff could be removed. But putting BOWIE in big letters on the headstock under the poly? I reckon most people who are interested in the guitar would be thinking, how do I hide that? A sticker, maybe some vinyl? Oddly that does work well if you line up the cuts on the sides with the strings as they head for the tuners. Kinda fools the eye.

AND! ODDLY! David Bowie? Really? I'm a fan, definitely. Grew up with Ziggy Stardust in my teenage years but the association with this guitar is tenuous. To be fair, they do make a version without the big logo but it's still promoted as the Bowie model and has graphics relating to that

new6659 likes this.
  16. calebaaron666

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    Yeah, when did Bowie use this guitar? Must have been during a time in his career that I wasn’t paying much attention to.
    I’m a huge fan of his weirdo Berlin years, Low and Lodger especially as well as the two Iggy Pop masterpieces.
    If I could find one of them Link Wray tributes, I’d try and nab it.

17. jfassett

jfassett Synchromatic

Dec 9, 2017
    Tucson
    Blasphemy, ha!

18. jfassett

jfassett Synchromatic

Dec 9, 2017
    Tucson
    @calebaaron666 you must be torn between the gold foils and the stock pickups eh? Maybe some quick connections for a quick swap, ha!
    I went back and forth a few times on the 5420 to the left (profile pic) with some gfs trons and the foils, thank goodness for the kwikplug system gfs has. Anyway, the goldfoils are in the guitar now, they sound amazing in the hollow body!

Last edited: Jun 8, 2020
  19. calebaaron666

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    Yeah, I’m actually thinking I may try something else. Maybe some Surf 90’s.
    I maybe should have got a higher output bridge pickup than the 5k. A low wattage humbucker and a low wattage single coil are different beasts.
    The quick connects would make it easier wouldn’t it? I never like to make things too easy though.;)

jfassett likes this.
  20. Byron

Byron Synchromatic

Sep 4, 2009
    uk
    Hows the pickup ponderin' going Caleb? Any thoughts on the Surf 90s or are you staying with the foils for a while? Perhaps living with them for a while is good. I added Ray Butts to my Billy Bo and didn't get the overwhelming experience I was expecting. But I'm staying with 'em for awhile, just to see if I warm to them....and trying to stop bothering about what sounds like Brian Setzer, Bo Diddley, Link Wray or any other fellah. Just need my own objective ear (the one that's still working!)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice