Eastman T58V

Discussion in 'Other Cool Guitars' started by Aceguitar1, Jul 8, 2020.

1. NJDevil

NJDevil Country Gent

Jul 9, 2014
    Commack, NY
    I really had the hopes of picking one up back in '17 but $$$ was really going to a lot of home projects at the time.

I know I've played them for hours when I was really trying to find a way to fund them. A+ quality and the perfect neck profiles for me also......I was really looking at the P90 centerblock models....both laminate and carved solid maple top models. Great guitar!

Aceguitar1 likes this.
  2. JC higgy

JC higgy Gretschified

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Cool pickin' sir,there's not much in it between the 2 of them ...

Aceguitar1 likes this.
  3. toddfan

toddfan Country Gent

Mar 12, 2012
    Kansas
    I've been tempted many a time to pick up and take home an Eastman. Yours is very pretty, congrats!

Aceguitar1 likes this.
  4. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    Sandy Eggo
    I play them at Namm show every year at the booth. I just want Frank to share his experience with his.

Aceguitar1 likes this.
  5. RG7X

RG7X Synchromatic

Nov 11, 2018
    Los Angeles
    I was eyeing an Eastman T64V. Would love to play / try one out. I've been spoiled with the MIJ Gretsch's and I have trust issues. :)

Shadowy_Man and Aceguitar1 like this.
  6. giffenf

giffenf Synchromatic

Oct 26, 2008
    Los Angeles
    "When Tavo calls, I listen..." (apologies to James Intveld).

Direct from the SOS (Studio of Silliness), in response to Tavo's request, here's my "detailed experience" video. I'm a little late to this party, so when I saw that @nickurso said he liked "your videos," I thought he was talking about me (d'oh!). This makes much more sense, @Aceguitar1 's videos are much more polished, most importantly, CONCISE, and the picking is awful durn good. Something I mentioned in the first take of the video (where I forgot to unmute the vocal mic so I had to do the whole thing again) but forgot in the final one is that I find the tone of this guitar, both in the neck and bridge, as well as in-between, has a little more bite than any of my Gretsch guitars, and I would assume the carved spruce top has something to do with that.

Hope this meets expectations.

7. Aceguitar1

Aceguitar1 Gretschie

Mar 30, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    Thanks for the replies everyone! I wanted to respond individually, but I think that would get a bit spammy. I love the support!

8. Aceguitar1

Aceguitar1 Gretschie

Mar 30, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    I think that was a great video and a great summary of the guitar. I agree with your comparison to Gretsch guitars about the Eastman's bite. That's a good way to put it.

giffenf likes this.
  9. RomanS

RomanS Gretschie

May 26, 2010
    Vienna, Austria
    Yup, great video. And I agree, the tonal difference vis most likely cdue to laminate vs carved spruce top ( kinda like ES 175 vs L5 in the Gibson world).
    Would be interesting how the Eastman compares to a Gretsch Country Club, which would be more similar than a 6120.

Aceguitar1 likes this.
  10. Aceguitar1

Aceguitar1 Gretschie

Mar 30, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    I actually have a Country Club, so I'll add that to the list of videos to make! Thanks!

Groutsch, dougmon and RomanS like this.
  11. Shadowy_Man

Shadowy_Man Gretschie

May 18, 2020
    Chicago
    Gorgeous, all of their guitars are like works of art. I know a jazz guitarist who is mostly retired but designs violins for them part time.

Edit, great tone and playing on the video, OP

Last edited: Jul 9, 2020
    RomanS likes this.
  12. giffenf

giffenf Synchromatic

Oct 26, 2008
    Los Angeles
    I took it upon myself to do a comparison video of my t58/v to my Country Club, and after doing so, I concluded the difference isn't as striking as I thought it would be, but there are differences. My Country Club, which has TVJ Setzer Sig pickups in it, sounds a lot clearer on the neck pickup than the Eastman, and is a little more reluctant to break up at the same amp settings. But make no mistake, it can rock when pushed. They're both great guitars.

My other two Eastmans are fairly modded, an AR372 with Railhammer Clean Cut 90 (humbucker-sized, noise-canceling P-90s) pickups, a Bigsby B6, and a stainless Tru Arc:
    [​IMG]

and an AR380CE John Pisano signature model that has Alameda OffKiltertron pickups, a gold B-3, and an aluminum Tru Arc. I had to move the pickup switch to a more Gretsch-like location to use the original hole for the pickups' rotary switch.
    [​IMG]

And just yesterday, I sold an amp I'd had on the market for quite a while, and made an offer on this AR604:
    [​IMG]

and, as if to make sure I have no money, the seller accepted it and it's on its way to me.

Floo, Shadowy_Man, Henry and 2 others like this.
  13. RomanS

RomanS Gretschie

May 26, 2010
    Vienna, Austria
    Interesting, seems like the Eastman sits right in the middle between the 6120 and the Country Club with regards to brightness and midrange punch...

giffenf likes this.
  14. Fasteddie42

Fasteddie42 Gretschie

Sep 18, 2018
    tip of the mitt
    I'd own one if they came in sunburst

15. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    Sandy Eggo
    You could have your own cable channel :) oh.. wait, youtube has done away w that

giffenf likes this.
  16. giffenf

giffenf Synchromatic

Oct 26, 2008
    Los Angeles
    That's a good way to put it, heck, even the scale, at 25", is (almost) right in the middle.

17. Groutsch

Groutsch Synchromatic

Jun 9, 2018
    Maryland, US
    The Eastman sounds good, but the 6120 sounds GREAT. The both have twang, but the Gretsch also has a beautiful full chime and better note definition. Thanks for the demos!

18. RomanS

RomanS Gretschie

May 26, 2010
    Vienna, Austria
    Ha, funny how different perceptions can be...
    After hearing the 6120 vs Eastman video, I thought, man, that Eastman sounds so much better...
    And then, after hearing the Eastman vs the CC, I though, man, that Country Club slays the Eastman...
    But the 6120 was definitely my least favorite of the three in the videos (blasphemy in these parts, I know...)

19. ARGuitarGuy

ARGuitarGuy Electromatic

Nov 21, 2018
    New Jersey
    Hello there. Do you still own this guitar? I ask because I just purchased one used and it has the same mods (the TruArc and Gotohs with the original bridge and tuners in the case, though not the strap locks). What are the odds? Probably not that long, but I thought I'd ask anyway.

20. giffenf

giffenf Synchromatic

Oct 26, 2008
    Los Angeles
    No, I sold it a few months ago. If you bought it from TrueTone Music in Santa Monica, then that was my guitar, but it’s now yours. Either way, enjoy.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.