Earth quake in NJ this morning

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by 5120mantis, Sep 9, 2020.

1. johnny g

johnny g Country Gent

Sep 2, 2017
    union, ms
    Cap May N. J. and Elmira, N. Y. both great places to live and visit.

5120mantis likes this.
  2. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Central New Jersey? Exit 9?

3. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Close ?? :p I live 1 mile to Old Tappan NJ and 1 mile the other way to Northvale NJ . If i go the long way through town , I'll be in Monthvale NJ . Besides , my kids grew up in Mahwah NJ just 12 miles the other way .

tartanphantom likes this.
  4. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Where did he grow up ?

5. 5120mantis

5120mantis Country Gent

Mar 6, 2011
    nj
    Yeah

6. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Being Polish, I cringe when I hear someone mispronounce a Polish name. I figure it's coz folks are dumber than Pollocks. It's Pula-SKI. Indiana is well known for mispronouncing nearly everything. The British car is called a Jag-Wire, Peru is PEEroo, and French Lick ain't what it sounds like either.

Pulaski was a Revolutionary War hero, like Von Steuben, Lafayette, and Kosciusko. You ought to hear how that's mispronounced around here.

I've been thru some gorgeous parts of New Jersey and upstate New York. Every state has some great places---and some nasty ones.

7. Not sure why, but i tuned into this thread thinking it was made up. Read the original post and pushed the link. Now we are many threads into bashing NJ. As everyone who has ever been there knows, they do not need any help being bashed. As a Bergen county resident for 30 something years, i resemble these remarks. But i knew enough to get away. Not that everything is rosey here in central VA, which is a recognized location to most Virginians. Central NJ is a bit unknown to me, is it marked on a map?

8. tartanphantom

tartanphantom Friend of Fred

Jul 30, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Central NJ disappeared when the Jersey Central Lines filed bankruptcy for the last time in 1967-- 53 years ago.
    That's why nobody remembers a "central Jersey" these days. :D

9. Is that a cult group or a train thingy?

10. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    But even a 3.1 can cause damage to anthills for a radius of two meters from the epicenter. :)

I've only experienced two earthquakes. In the mid to late '60s, there were a spate of earthquakes in Denver and I was still just a kid, sitting in a chair when the floor seems to drop about 1/2". I had no idea what it was, until my older sister called to make sure I wasn't scared by it.

I was in a huge copper mine once when they detonated and that was much more memorable. As I understand it, these mine detonations are so large that they send out notifications so that they aren't confused with nuclear weapons tests. All I know is that I was several miles away and the ground shook beneath my feet and the rumble was tremendous. There wasn't a sharp noise, because this was underground and the over-burden damped the sound, but that rumble was unmistakable. It was like nothing I ever experienced, before or since.

Both! :)

5120mantis likes this.
  11. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    Melrose

thunder58 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.