Dynasonics...am I missing something here?

Discussion in 'The Pickup Place' started by stringtheory, Dec 29, 2020.

1. stringtheory

stringtheory Electromatic

Oct 2, 2020
    Canada
    Hi guys. I have a G6128T duo-jet. It's a beautiful guitar and I love the way it plays. The problem is, I cannot stand the TV jones TArmond pickups. It's strange because I've read the dynasonic pickup described as a "tele" on steroids and I own a Fender Elite Tele and I love the pickups on that and the TArmonds sound nothing alike to those. They produce a thin, harsh sound, with little to no harmonics or resonance. I'm wondering if maybe the 11 gauge strings I have on the guitar are to blame, or the fact that I like to tune down a step from standard. Thing is, I got the guitar professionally set-up from the shop that way.

Anyway, do I just have a bad set of TArmonds or do I just dislike the sound of dynasonics? I really wanted to like them, but after months of trying to get a tone that I like, I still haven't found one.

I want to replace them with TV jones classics or powertrons. Would a powertron neck pickup and a classic + bridge work, or should I go with powertron + in the bridge?

Anyways, thanks.

2. afire

afire Country Gent

Maybe post a few pics showing how they're set up. That doesn't sound right at all.

pmac11 likes this.
  3. slickfaster

slickfaster Country Gent

Dec 29, 2009
    USA
    I’d check wiring also height of entire pick up should be brought up to Tv spec.. not mag poles.. sorry is all I got..the people at TVJones are great and I’d give em a call..
    I’m with afire, something ain’t right...
    Pics?

4. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    Sounds like you need to adjust the pickup height.

NJDevil likes this.
  5. Chmason85

Chmason85 Synchromatic

May 1, 2018
    Philadelphia
    What amp are you using? I had a jet with T-Armonds and I loved them with some amps and did not like them with others

6. j.s.c

j.s.c Country Gent

Aug 19, 2008
    france
    T-Armonds are the darkest type of Dynasonics family but they must be brighter than any filtertrons and even more of any powertrons... You should listen to youtube tests with dyna to knows what you should expect from them.

Nice play btw...

7. stringtheory

Oct 2, 2020
    Canada
    I have a two-rock crs.

8. cowmoo

cowmoo Country Gent

Aug 19, 2011
    North Wales
    I just put a set of Filtertron size T’Armonds in my Silver Falcon and am happy with how much fuller, sweeter and darker they are than i was expecting!!

I’m even thinking of swapping out the classics in my Phoenix for some.

9. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    I'm not a big fan of Dynasonics either and TVJ definitely makes the best one.
    If you've tried experimenting with different pups heights then they aren't for you.

TVJ Filtertrons are the best pups made today imo.
    My favs are the Classic Plus / Classic combo.

The Plus gives a bit more output while still retaining Gretsch twang.
    Powertrons go a bit too close into PAF territory for me :)

10. Fredo

Fredo Synchromatic

Jan 18, 2010
    Georgia, USA
    My T-Armond neck pickup sounds thin but definitely not the bridge. Neither sounds harsh.

11. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Friend of Fred

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
    Those are definitely T-Armonds? From the description they sound more like Gretsch Dynasonics. TAs have TV Jones stamped on the front. The 6128t doesn't normally have them as standard. Mine are thick and narly, a bit too much in fact.

NJDevil and Gretschmen65 like this.
  12. Gretschmen65

Gretschmen65 Country Gent

May 20, 2016
    QLD Australia
    I'm with @Uncle Daddy here. I owned a 2013 G6128TDS and it came with Gretsch Dynasonics not TVJ pups.
    Having said that I had much the same impressions as you express. I am a Tele guy and Dynasonics to me are nothing like good Telecaster pickups.
    I tried all the height variations and different amps but I never got or understood the "Tele on Steroids" bit either.

I also had a G6120 with HS Filtertrons which didn't fill me with enthusiasm either. In the end I felt that the Filtertrons would have been a better option in the G6128 and Dynasonics
    may have been better suited to the hollow body. Eventually I decided that these guitars are way too expensive to engage in pickup swaps in the hope they could find a place among my Telecasters and sold them both.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2020
  13. Patriot

Patriot Electromatic

Nov 30, 2020
    USA
    Yeah, I'm in agreement. I'm not a huge Dyna fan. I own several Gretsches with Dyna's ('57 Silver Jet, etc.), but they just seem to be a bit too sterile and 'step-child' sounding to my ear, bland, almost uni-dimensional. And lets face it, there's just too many other pickup options out there, to accept what I consider to be a general lack of 'warmth'.

Gretschmen65 likes this.
  14. Stefan87

Stefan87 Country Gent

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    As others have suggested I would try changing the heights of them to see if you can get a sound you like more.

Raising the body of the pick up with give you a fuller sound where raising the pole pieces will give you the opposite, i love them in my penguin but everybody is different as we all know.

Good luck with it and if your not happy then the classics would proabably be a good choice depending on what sound you are after.

Good luck with it.

15. cvr31

cvr31 Gretschie

Check your pickup height. That makes a huge difference with these pickups.

I prefer the T-Armonds over any Filtertron.

16. S.R.Cash

S.R.Cash Gretschie

Aug 29, 2019
    Ontario, Canada
    Funny how tone works. There's a tone about Filtertron's I love that pushed me to the Hilotron, and there's a tone about the Dyna's I like that makes me lean toward a P90. Concerning the actual post, Raising pickups with lower pole pieces has worked better for me than higher set pole pieces, so perhaps some shimming?

Scott likes this.
  17. ruger9

ruger9 Country Gent

Nov 1, 2008
    NJ
    I put T-Armonds in a Cabronita, and "tele on steroids" is exactly how I would describe them. The opposite of thin- they are FAT, sometimes I had to turn the bass on the amp down a notch or two.

As far as pickup height, what I always do is raise the bridge pickup as high as I can get it (depressing strings at the last fret, I leave a little gap so the string never touches the pickup of course), then I raise/lower the neck pickup to balance the volumes of the 2 pickups.

The T-Armond is my favorite TVJ pickup, easily. I have owned/tried Classics, Setzers, Powertrons, T-90s, and T-Armonds.

RomanS and NJDevil like this.
  18. tartanphantom

tartanphantom Friend of Fred

Jul 30, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN
    The important thing to remember with any Dynasonic style pickup is that the height of the pickup body in relation to the strings is more important than the height of the individual polepieces. In other words, the use of spacer rings to raise the entire pickup body closer to the strings is important. Otherwise, no matter how you adjust the polepieces, it will sound thinner than it should.

pmac11 likes this.
  19. stringtheory

Oct 2, 2020
    Canada
    Right now, it's by the worst sounding guitar I own.
    See, I love the paf sound, and I can't actually comment on whether or not I like the filtertron sound, because I've never played a guitar with filtertrons in it. All I know is that I love Soundgarden, and a lot of the rhythm work on their records was done by Chris Cornell and he often used Gretsches with filtertrons. I'm still trying to figure out what they used for the "outshined" tone. Ha.

Would you say that the powertron is sort of a combination of a paf and a filtertron?

20. ruger9

ruger9 Country Gent

Nov 1, 2008
    NJ
    IMO it's about 75% Filtertron, 25% PAF.

If you want MORE PAF, the only people making Filtertrons that can truly approach the PAF sound is Rio Grande, with their BBQ Tron set. I own them. They are at least 50% PAF tone, maybe more. MUCH closer to the Gibson PAF sound than anything TVJ makes (and I've owned all those too).

The reviews on the Rio Grande website are accurate when describing the tone of these Filtertrons.

NJDevil likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.