Dynasonic vs Filtertron with a bit of Mystery Brain

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by Merc, Sep 18, 2021.

1. Merc

Merc Friend of Fred

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    Adrian Whyte posted a vid this week with a sound comparison of Dynasonic and Filtertron. Great for any lurkers on here who may be asking “Dyna or Filter-what?” He also adds the Nocturne Mystery Brain around 11:10 for a bit of slight delay. Check out his channel or Patreon page if your looking for some rockabilly/psychobilly stuff too.

2. Lockupyourfatdog

Lockupyourfatdog Synchromatic

Aug 8, 2016
    Everett wa
    Been following him for years. He does great stuff

Merc and Marv666 like this.
  3. juks

juks Country Gent

Nov 26, 2020
    Fremont, California
    Nice subject. He did spend 4 minutes talking before any playing which reminded me of dislike expressed here to that. :)

Craig Encinitas likes this.
  4. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    Sandy Eggo
    I first got to meet him at NAMM. Uncle Joe introduced us. Good lad w a wide palette of playing skill and nice as heck, I'm glad I know him.

Craig Encinitas and Merc like this.
  5. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Thanks for posting. Imo it would have been an easier comparison if he spent no more than 30 seconds on a pickup position then cut to the other guitar in the same position.

Also imo complaining about the intros is like complaining about having commercials on free broadcast TV. That's the price for free content.

Craig Encinitas, swivel and Merc like this.
  6. Merc

Merc Friend of Fred

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    I totally agree on quicker cuts back and forth for comparison. I’ve seen other people do it. That being said, it takes a lot of time to edit back and forth. I know from his older videos that Adrian’s got a one year old so his time is likely limited. Regardless, the video still captures the main tonal difference. :)

Craig Encinitas and Henry like this.
  7. Merc

Merc Friend of Fred

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    He comes across as a really nice guy and seems pretty talented with both Jazz and Rockabilly. I give him a thumbs up. I enjoyed listening to some of the solo material he’s done.

8. Hickeroar

Hickeroar Gretschie

Oct 4, 2020
    Texas
    His explanation of the differences at the beginning is pretty spot on from my personal experiences.

Merc and Craig Encinitas like this.
  9. swivel

swivel Country Gent

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    So, I have this set of Dyna's sitting here, trying to decide what to try them in. But his comparison throws me off; I thought Dynas were less "percussive" than Trons and a big "razor clean" sound with a sharp edge to them.
    DO ya'll think this is a good representation of the Dyna sound?.

10. Hickeroar

Hickeroar Gretschie

Oct 4, 2020
    Texas
    To my ears Dynas are a lot more articulate, yes. Percussive is probably a good word for them, so I wouldn't say they're "less percussive." The word "crisp" also comes to mind. The bass is also a lot bigger, but the treble is also a lot bigger as well. The bass isn't muddy at all though. It's a clear, heavy ring. They're just...bigger.

If you wanted to stretch the comparison out to the extreme, you could say that the Dynas are "more similar" to a neck pickup on a strat, while the Trons are "more similar" to a PAF Humbucker. That's not really a great comparison, but that's kinda where my brain goes when comparing between them. Trons are more "buttery" and Dynas "cut" more.

To be honest it's very hard to compare when watching a video like that. You really need to get in front of a good Cab and FEEL them more than anything else. In person the difference is stark. I also come away from every comparison feeling in my gut like the Dynas just sound "better." That's obviously a matter of taste, but I've yet to play anything that just sounded so purely "good" as a dynasonic. They're super versatile. You can play any style of music you want with them and they sound great doing it. Just checks all the boxes for me.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2021
    Merc, Shadowy_Man and swivel like this.
  11. swivel

swivel Country Gent

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    Thanks a lot, that's what I was hoping!

Merc likes this.
  12. JCW513

JCW513 Gretschie

Sep 21, 2017
    Boston
    great video... they are like my left and right hand.... Both do different things have fill different needs... Need em both.

Merc likes this.
  13. Merc

Merc Friend of Fred

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    So very true but often forgotten. Videos do a good job to hear differences. But after the video compression, etc, it’s never the same as in person. You will also never hear or feel the pickup response to pick attack via videos.

Hickeroar likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.