Dynasonic covers buzz

Discussion in 'Technical Side of Things' started by EsquireBoy, Nov 19, 2020.

1. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Electromatic

Aug 12, 2020
    France
    Hi all,

On my 6120DE I noticed there is an electrical buzz when I touch the metal cover (or metal case rather) of both the dynasonic pickups.

Otherwise everything works fine: no buzzing, the bridge is properly grounded, etc.
    It’s only when I touch the pickup covers, and only when the pickup is active and the volume is up.

I wonder if you have that on your dynasonics too?

Cheers

2. journeyman

journeyman Gretschie

Aug 20, 2009
    Toronto, Ontario
    That is a wiring issue. Try moving the hot wire to a different pickup lug. A guitar tech would know what to do, but if you have a solder iron, you can try moving wires around. I've done it, but couldn't tell you exactly what to do because I used trial and error. There are probably some wiring diagrams on line too.

3. tartanphantom

tartanphantom Friend of Fred

Jul 30, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Unfortunately, this is partly due to a design flaw on modern Dynasonics which hasn't been fixed yet... the covers are not grounded.

Yep, that's right-- the metal encasement ring on modern Tokiwa-made Dynas are not grounded to the case. but you can make an easy fix with a small wire or strip of copper sheeting, (usually without soldering) by twisting it onto the ground wire on the back of the pickup and then sandwiching the other end between the case and the mounting ring or body.

new6659 and EsquireBoy like this.
  4. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Electromatic

Aug 12, 2020
    France
    Thanks a lot for the tip!
    Since I had posted my OP, I found out the issue (metal case not grounded), because if I touch it while I touch the strings (which are grounded) there’s no buzz indeed.
    I was thinking about soldering a ground lead, but your idea is great!

5. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Electromatic

Aug 12, 2020
    France
    Thanks but that’s not a wiring issue: it is indeed the metal case that is not grounded. I’ll have to connect it to the pickup ground wire, because if I put the case to ground the buzz disappears completely.

6. journeyman

journeyman Gretschie

Aug 20, 2009
    Toronto, Ontario
    The covers on my Dyna'sonics are only held in place with some kind of wax or rubbery glue. I do remember having the buzz but after changing around the connections to the pots it went away.

EsquireBoy likes this.
  7. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Electromatic

Aug 12, 2020
    France
    Oh all right, did not understand you had done it. Thanks for the info! But I guess it’s easier to ground the case than to fish out the pots to reverse the connections though.

8. Mellowcat

Mellowcat Electromatic

Aug 22, 2013
    VA
    EsquireBoy likes this.
  9. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Electromatic

Aug 12, 2020
    France
    Thanks a lot, I’ve just read the two threads with attention, and since I’m rather handy with my soldering iron, I think I’ll go for the solution of soldering a ground wire next time I change my strings.

Mellowcat likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.