Duo Jet G6128T-59 The Good, The Bad, The Ugly

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by McIrish, Nov 12, 2020.

1. McIrish

McIrish Electromatic

Jan 7, 2019
    Chicago, IL
    I think I need to pull the Bigsby and see what's going on. If I tap on the Bigsby on the low side, it makes a sound as if it is not sitting firmly on the guitar. I think the rattle is from that. Also, as far as sustain goes, I have almost no sustain about the 12th fret. Something seems pretty wrong.

2. mrfixitmi

mrfixitmi Country Gent

Mar 20, 2010
    Michigan
    Great idea, assure that the Bigsby is siting flat. For lack of sustain, if you raised pickup height, check that the bridge base (saddle is sitting flush to the guitar top, any air gap between the guitar top, and bridge base can reduce sustain.

3. GOOBALL JEFF

GOOBALL JEFF Synchromatic

Oct 1, 2019
    london
    the neck angle thing is one of the reasons i would go for a players edition jet

4. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    There are two felt pads on the backside of the Bigsby.

One under the spring cup area and one on the opposite side under the string bar area.

They both should be touching the top of the guitar when strings are on, and this keeps the metal from touching wood.

20201114_172725.jpg 20201114_172607.jpg

On all of my Proline Bigsbys, I secure the casting to the top with a wood screw at the center of the spring cup.

This screw lines up with the top's tone brace and keeps the Bigsby stable from any side to side play.

20191020_120033.jpg 20190927_143257.jpg 20190215_124842.jpg

Before securing, I check and adjust the Bigsby casting to make sure it lines up with the neck.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2020
    Mystic38, mrfixitmi and audept like this.
  5. McIrish

McIrish Electromatic

Jan 7, 2019
    Chicago, IL
    Wow! You put a screw through the top to hold the bigsby down? That's real commitment. I'm not sure I'm sold on the bigsby enough to do that yet. I really appreciate all the comments. I did remove the bridge and re-fit it to the top better. It took a while but it has improved the sustain. Not great but it's much improved. Still trying to learn as much as I can about this guitar. It's just very different from anything else I've owned. I still have not made a decision on the ABM roller bridge. The guitar came with it but maybe I should try the stock bridge as a comparison.

I do notice now that when I depress the Bisgby far, the bridge does rock forward. I even had a big scare this morning. When I pressed it to see how the bridge was rocking, the whole bridge shift on its base. I had used bow rosin to keep it in place to it has a sort of "snap" sound. Ugh! I thought the top snapped. Time to try the original bridge.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2020
  6. McIrish

McIrish Electromatic

Jan 7, 2019
    Chicago, IL
    Put on the original Space Control bridge. Interesting that the bridge rocks too. This is my first guitar with a floating bridge and a Bigsby. Do all bridges rock? I have a feeling that they all must rock when the Bigsby is pressed down. The friction would seem to make it impossible for it to stay perfectly upright, just by how tall the bridge is. Thoughts?

7. jetbunny

jetbunny Electromatic

Mar 29, 2017
    NYC
    AFAIK all bridges should rock. Space Control bridges aren't love much here, I am one of the minority. I sometimes swap it with a Gibson Nashville from time to time. Depends on my mood. SC rattles too but a good nail polish can fix it.

A bar bridge is your best option - be TruArc or Compton. Also tighten all the screws you can see. Mine rattled before and I found the culprit s- the pickguard and the wires inside.

8. The Dunster

The Dunster Electromatic

Sep 24, 2019
    Australia
    I have a 2018 6128t 59 Vintage Select Duo Jet. It's completely stock, sustains forever, and has no tuning or intonation issues.

The only issue is that it doesn't have the greatest fret access at the dusty end.

I'd be filing a warranty claim if I had the issues the OP mentions.

Hopefully he has it sorted by now.

9. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Playing guitar

I’m glad to hear this after reading this entire thread. The 6128t-59 is the next Jet I’m after and this thread worried me a bit.

Good luck to the OP sorting out his guitar.

10. golem

golem Electromatic

Jan 3, 2021
    USA
    I think you gave great advice. While accepting this is true on traditional Gibson LPs and Gretsch Duo Jets, I wouldn't say upper fret access has to be difficult on a singlecut and that it's just a matter of practice. The 6228 is less traditional but makes it easier to access the upper frets than traditional Gretsch guitars and even Gibson LPs I've owned. The Agile 3200MCC has great upper fret access as did the Grosh Set Neck I used to own. If you look into how each one of these guitars accomplishes this, they're all doing slightly different things design wise to make it happen. While I think the tradition is part of the appeal of Gretsch to some players just as it is with Gibson LPs, a break from tradition can yield ergonomic improvements.

I hope you don't mind me disagreeing with you on that one point.

11. mbkri

mbkri Country Gent

Sep 22, 2012
    Chicago
    I’m thinking the bigsby may be skewed. If the Bigsby isn’t aligned with the neck correctly it causes the strings to bind a little in the bridge which can kill tone and sustain and might explain the fact that the Bigsby isn’t sitting snug on the guitar body.

12. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Well your Jet may allegedly be "Vintage Select" but you got a poorly set up one.
    All of your issues are easily fixed with a pro set-up.

Lack of sustain is due to non optimal pup heights.
    Lack of access to high frets is all your technique - I've never had any issues.
    Bigsby's work perfect on a well set-up Gretsch - the nut slots probably need smoothing.
    String gauge is irrelevant.

Tips - get the Jet set up properly :)

The Dunster and radd like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.