Dunlop EP103 Echoplex DELAY PEDAL (not the EP3 preamp pedal)

Discussion in 'Pedal Pushers Forum' started by rcboals, Jun 2, 2021.

1. rcboals

rcboals Country Gent

Nov 21, 2008
    Springfield Oregon
    I wondered the same thing myself probably a power supply issue. I like the one spot and if a pedal can't work with my pedals and very convenient 1700 mah power supply, then goodbye pedal. At this stage of the game having been down the road with a butt load of pedals on a large pedal board and not needing half of them :) and buying Cioks, and Voodoo Lab products to run a bunch of pedals at $$$ . I came to the conclusion hat I don't need, and can't handle more than eight different pedals at a time. I also like the grab and go size board to get where I want to go and do what I want to do, with minimal hassle. In my younger years I may have screwed with a different power supply. Thinking back on it, that's exactly what I did when I was on Strymon kick. :) Raye don't play that anymore. :)

2. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    Sandy Eggo
    speaking humbly now, in a soft and soothing Morgan Freeman kind of way:

The problem though, here is that those budget Onespots are digital switching transformers at the lowest pricepoint, and they go bad more often than not. I've been through 5 of them. They also do not offer any quality power filtering or individual power isolation, so this brings in a lot of noise artifacts and each pedal can exponential add to the other in this capacity. Particularly when analog and digi effects are on that same daisy chain.
    Musicians spend so much money on the guitar, and the amp, and the pedals but will often compromise on the very source of power they need to effectively run their investments.
    You sir are being called out :) :) :) :) That squeal was telling on ya, hehe.
    ps. onespots big cousin the Trutone CS7 will handle your needs for a very reasonable price. my CS12 has been working flawless for the last 2 yrs.

[​IMG]

Merc likes this.
  3. rcboals

rcboals Country Gent

Nov 21, 2008
    Springfield Oregon
    Ain't nobody else squealing on this board see pic. As I mentioned I went down the road in my younger years :) with the fancy isolated blah blah Cioks and VooDoo Lab products where each pedal has its own connection and it requires a extra Big @$$ board to put them on I love the the One Spot convenient works great and has never failed me for several years I have two of them. I am thankful my Detroit Casket doesn't squeal. :) As a matter of fact every Nocturne product I have ever owned didn't squeal or react in a negative way to the One Spot including your Mystery Brain. Must have something to do with Nocturne's extremely high quality. :) Why would the EP103 need 240 Mah when I think the Mystery Brain only needed 85 Mah? I am 1000% positive it is the superior engineering and superior product quality of Nocturne Products vs Dunlop MXR. :)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 13, 2021
    pmac11 likes this.
  4. oneforsorrow

oneforsorrow Synchromatic

May 15, 2020
    Iowa
    I could listen to him read a phone book and feel better about the the world around me!

TV the Wired Turtle likes this.
  5. rcboals

rcboals Country Gent

Nov 21, 2008
    Springfield Oregon
    OOPS!!!! Thanks for posting this, you made me think, which I really should do more often. I edited my post it is not Morgan Freeman that I can't stand it is another actor who will remain nameless. I actually like Morgan Freeman as an actor and person. I have to blame Tavo for involving Mr. Freeman. :)

oneforsorrow likes this.
  6. oneforsorrow

oneforsorrow Synchromatic

May 15, 2020
    Iowa
    :(
    I’m sure there’s folks with whatever reasons they care to enumerate who dislike him, but I’ve clearly stated my position.

And I get you on the power supply thing. The most “adult” piece of gear I’ve ever purchased was an isolated power supply. Sexy in a fetish kind of way but boring as heck in most other ways. I love what it’s done for me but I mourn the pedal it could’ve bought me :(.

7. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    I agree with Tavo about switching power supplies, but it's not the cause of your squeal. If it were, you would get the squeal when using the pedal alone with the OneSpot.

The only pedal I've owned that had a problem with switching supplies was a RetroSonic Chorus and the builder knew about this and recommended not using switching supplies.

I got a Fulltone non switching supply for $15 at Guitar Center and it worked like a charm. Sadly, Fulltone doesn't seem to sell those anymore.

oneforsorrow likes this.
  8. ruger9

ruger9 Country Gent

Nov 1, 2008
    NJ
    Thanks to this thread... I went and watched a few demo and comparison videos. And ordered the MXR Echoplex Delay. I had a Belle Epoch, for whatever reason that one didn't resonate with me; I do love the simplicity of the Echoplex... we'll see how it fares when put up against my Deluxe Memory Boy and TC Alter Ego v2.

Merc and Ricochet like this.
  9. Byron

Byron Country Gent

Sep 4, 2009
    uk
    Can't help thinking....MXR could have offered the delay and preamp in one pedal. I know Belle Epoch does that. Guess it's down to eckernomics or something

10. Merc

Merc Friend of Fred

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    Post on your comparison. I don’t know if he’s still using it, but it was good enough for Jeff Becks board a few years ago. Most players would say Beck tends to have a good ear for things.

pmac11 and ruger9 like this.
  11. ruger9

ruger9 Country Gent

Nov 1, 2008
    NJ
    Well, I for one am glad the preamp isn't included. I'm just looking for a cool delay- not something that changes my base tone. Yes, of course some things change base tone for the better, but that's not what I'm looking for with this. If I want a delay that has a preamp that messes with (in a good way) my base tone, I'll pull out my Catalinbread Adineko.

12. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    Sandy Eggo
    all echo effects have a preamp, some are just generic. you have to have signal amplification pushing your signal through the effect. An Echoplex, a Space Echo, an Adineko are all colored to some degree in their preamplifier. My Mysterybrain not only has a space echo preamplifier that switches in and out, but the echo circuit itself has an echoplex preamp at the signals entry point to the echo. :)

Merc, ruger9 and pmac11 like this.
  13. Merc

Merc Friend of Fred

May 6, 2017
    Florida

All the demo’s I’ve watched on it stated the guitar is left dry. Only the echo has the EP-103 preamp and modulation. The idea was to sell the 101 preamp separate for singers or whatever. They claim that’s why it’s dry on the EP-103. I view it as a money racket as now for the full EP experience, someone has to spend over $300 but has to additionally power two pedals. That’s what I like about the Mystery Brain. All in one and separate switches to turn on and off. But I guess if it’s left dry on the EP-103 that it works well for players like @ruger9 who want it so and for a cheaper price.

Not being a pedal circuit guy, maybe the EQ is left neutral for the guitar itself? Or could it simply lay the echo after it on the signal path somehow? I don’t know. If I remember right, the volume only adjusted the volume of the echo itself. But I didn’t detect any tone difference on the original signal. Only on the echo itself. Maybe you can decipher the manual language better than I. It’s says you can set it as a wet mode sending only the wet signal to the amplifier. I don’t have one to try but could that be only the echo?

Attached Files:

14. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Sorry it didn't work out for you

15. ruger9

ruger9 Country Gent

Nov 1, 2008
    NJ
    +1

Merc likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.