Dunlop EP103 Echoplex DELAY PEDAL (not the EP3 preamp pedal)

Discussion in 'Pedal Pushers Forum' started by rcboals, Jun 2, 2021.

1. rcboals

rcboals Country Gent

Nov 21, 2008
    Springfield Oregon
    Anybody have one of these EP103 delay pedals? Not the ep3 preamp pedal which has has been discussed to death but the EP103 DELAY PEDAL. I understand it is similar to the Belle Epoch but would like to hear from someone who actually has this pedal. I had a Belle Epoch a few years ago and returned it. I just ordered one of these EP103. Don't seem to find any info on this forum. Check this video out, it made me pull the trigger and Prymaxe 25% off Memoral Weekend sale and their 45 day satisfaction return policy.

ruger9, Merc and Outlaw like this.
  2. Andy Fortune

Andy Fortune Gretschie

May 24, 2016
    Corning, NY
    I love mine. It’s definitely worth getting a tap tempo switch for tap tempo and extended delay times.
    This video is great, too:

ruger9 and Merc like this.
  3. Merc

Merc Friend of Fred

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    I’ve owned two. Sold the first one after I got my first Mystery Brain. Bought a second later after I missed it. My favorite feature on it was the ease of adjusting tape wear… one knob. Tap tempo is great if you’re using it for more than a fast slapback. One thing to note is that your guitar is left dry. Only the delay has the EP3 preamp on it. That could be good thing if you’re 100% happy with your guitar tone. I eventually sold the second one after getting my Bell Epoch Deluxe which is amazing to my ears. I’ve never tried the regular Bell Epoch to compare it to the Dunlop. I know the Bell Epoch Deluxe has the exact original all analog EP preamp in it. Where the regular Bell Epoch is digital.

Getting back to the Dunlop EP103. It’s a great delay that often gets overlooked as players search for the boutique pedals. My one complaint is that I would’ve preferred a larger enclosure box with the preamp in it. And an additional stomp switch to turn on and off the EP preamp when and if I choose. Sort of like the Mystery Brain does in the Roland RE301 world. But the EP103 echo itself sounds solid and is easy to use. Hope it it works well for you.

4. oneforsorrow

oneforsorrow Synchromatic

May 15, 2020
    Iowa
    Love to hear more about it when you get it.
    so the BE and the BE Deluxe have different preamps?

5. rcboals

rcboals Country Gent

Nov 21, 2008
    Springfield Oregon
    Thanks Merc my friend. My plan is to run the Detroit Casket into the EP103 and see how it responds to being "hit" with various levels of overdrive. I know I don't want the Echoplex preamp involved as I went down that road a few years back and didn't care for the tone on my guitars with the EP preamp at all, as I was tainted in my experience by Tavo's Nocturne Atomic Brain preamp. (The Brain is the Bees Knees) I want to see if this responds different when hit with OD than my old tried and true Boss DM3 .

TV the Wired Turtle and Merc like this.
  6. Merc

Merc Friend of Fred

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    The Bell Epoch is a digital recreation of the EP3 preamp. The Epoch Deluxe is the actual exact analog preamp of the original, to include the orange capacitors and all. The Deluxe uses digital for the delay as there is no actual tape.

pmac11 likes this.
  7. Merc

Merc Friend of Fred

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    Post how well it works with the Fluid Drive. On its own it’s a great sounding delay. A little different sounding than the analog DM3. I really loved the warmth of the age feature and it’s ease of use. Much simpler to dial in than when I had the Volante for that wow and flutter.

I love a great Brain pedal.

8. oneforsorrow

May 15, 2020
    Iowa
    I’m curious as to how you arrived at that? I went back and found a video from Howard and in discussing the internal preamp, he states it’s NOT digital. Did something change in recent production?

He makes the statement around 4:45 ...

dswo likes this.
  9. Merc

Merc Friend of Fred

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    Ok, I stand corrected on the Belle Epoch and heard it was digital but never owned it. The manual does read they developed an all discrete preamp. It may not be digital but it’s not exact. That doesn’t make it a bad pedal though. The Deluxe is supposed to the actual preamp for any purists.

ED2F4D31-6B9D-4945-8F27-AD4BB0C3BEC2.png

Last edited: Jun 3, 2021
    oneforsorrow likes this.
  10. Merc

Merc Friend of Fred

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    Did it come in yet? Usually Sweetwater ships fast.

11. rcboals

rcboals Country Gent

Nov 21, 2008
    Springfield Oregon
    Been in Reno since Sunday for some sunshine R&R and driving my 56 Pontiac it loves the two lane highway. Will get home Friday and will play with it this weekend and report back.

Attached Files:

12. swivel

swivel Country Gent

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    Cool! One of my favorite high school cars was my '57. Salmon pink and gray! [​IMG]

Merc and rcboals like this.
  13. rcboals

rcboals Country Gent

Nov 21, 2008
    Springfield Oregon
    Thumbs down it is on the return bus now. This pedal made a high squeal no matter where it was with my pedals, it was ok by itself. The tape echo was just ok it is pretty dark and the tape aging feature push button really was disappointing it just sounded like muddy modulation. Nothing usable for mere mortals like me here.

14. Merc

Merc Friend of Fred

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    Both of mine never had a squeal. The wow and flutter were a bit dark and warm from what I remember. Well, that’s the great thing about Sweetwater, easy returns. Sounds like maybe it’s best to stick with the ol’ tried and true Boss. If it ain’t broke…

15. Andy Fortune

Andy Fortune Gretschie

May 24, 2016
    Corning, NY
    Wow. Sounds like you got a bad one to me. I have never had anything resembling a squeal and I would describe mine as brighter than a Carbon Copy. Warm, yes…but not dark, and certainly not muddy. Of course, pedals react differently with different amps and pedals.
    I re-listened to the video you posted and to the That Pedal Show video, and the sounds are very accurate to how mine sounds in my setup.

16. rcboals

rcboals Country Gent

Nov 21, 2008
    Springfield Oregon
    I did rely on the pedal show in my decision to try it. Maybe I did get one with a problem. My pedal board is small. The EP103 was fine on it's own but hook it up to with my other pedals no matter where it would have a high pitched squeal.

My old Boss is the benchmark for me with how an analog delay/echo pedal should sound like. The only other pedal that comes close to it for me is the Maxon AD80. The squeal was the deal breaker for me.

My sophisticated hi tech pedal board below.

Attached Files:

Andy Fortune and Merc like this.
  17. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Just wondering if you use a 1-Spot or other form of daisychain? Some pedals are real picky over the way they're powered.

oneforsorrow and Merc like this.
  18. Merc

Merc Friend of Fred

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    Now that I think back, I had a Fender Marine Layer Reverb. It would squeal only when used in conjunction with a Rat pedal. I don’t remember my power source at the time but they didn’t like each other for some reason. Not that it matters as you’re sending it back. Maybe it simply didn’t get along with a certain pedal or the power source as @Ricochet suggested. I also looked it up and the EP-103 draws 240 mA.

Ricochet likes this.
  19. Andy Fortune

Andy Fortune Gretschie

May 24, 2016
    Corning, NY
    Yeah, my board is powered by a Strymon Zuma. I haven't had any pedal compatibility issues since I switched to that.

Ricochet likes this.
  20. oneforsorrow

May 15, 2020
    Iowa
    My thought as well.

Ricochet likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.