Join Gretsch-Talk Today

Duesenberg les trem II on les paul questions/issues. Nltd btw!

Discussion in 'Technical Side of Things' started by ampe, Jan 8, 2017.

1. ampe

ampe Country Gent

May 11, 2011
    belgium
    Hi everybody!
    (Hi doctor nick)

I bought myself a Duesenberg les trem II for my les paul for her christmas, but i have a few issues/questions.
    My first questions are about sustain.
    The Les trem comes with screws and washers.
    [​IMG]
    The manual says to use a washer between the body and bridge to protect the finish of the guitar, but would the washer affect the sustain because it minimises the contact between the trem and the guitar body? Otherwise i just might leave it out and bolt it straight to the body.
    My first real issue is that one of the bolts has a bad thread and won't screw into the guitar. I send Thomann an email to send me a new bolt, hoping to avoid the cumberness of sending the whole thing back and ordering a new one.
    In the mean time i thought to use the old bold instead, thinking since it's longer it could even increase sustain? but that's probably not true. Since the lower bolt sits right behind the trem arm it doesn't matter if the part that holds the stop tailpiece sticks out.
    [​IMG]

The next issue is that the holes in the trem don't align with the holes in the les paul, it's marginally but still.
    Is that normal? Or is my trem just ill made? I doubt it could be an issue to just widen the hole a tiny bit to make it fit but if it's ill made i just might exchange the whole bridge for another one after all.
    [​IMG]
    Isn't Duesenberg German? i thought it was impossible for the Germans to make something badly. They even said it on The Grand Tour this week.

Anyhow, so what do you think? Washer/no washer? Are the holes in the wrong place or is it just not made to fit a les paul and should i just widen the holes a tiny bit?

2. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Country Gent

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    I owned this trem, too.
    It was flawlessly made. I would really guess that there are very small tolerances in the routings of the stoptailpieces that they replace. If it fits with whashers it should be perfectly o.k..

3. Charles Conner

Charles Conner Gretschie

May 19, 2016
    Maryland
    I have the Duesenberg Les Trem on my LPR7. You should use the washers to keep the unit from contacting the guitar top. I needed 001.JPG just 1 washer at each hole. I put the smoother side of each washer down against the guitar. There was 1 mm difference in the post spacing on my guitar. I needed to remove 1/2 mm from the outer side of each hole on the trem unit, to make it fit the guitar. I used a dremel tool but a round file should do the job. I can't detect any loss of sustain. I'm using 10 - 46 strings. It will "dive" down about 3 half tones and pull up almost 1 half tone. I think that range is adjustable but I like it the way it is. I'm also using an ABM2400 roller bridge which, along with proper nut slots and lubrication, has good tuning stability. The ABM2400 is made with "bell metal" and also made a very positive change in the brightness of the guitar. I'm completely satisfied with my Duesenberg trem II.

TSims1 likes this.
  4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. TSims1

TSims1 Friend of Fred

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    I have owned and used the Les Trem II and really loved it. I would use one again on a stoptail in a heartbeat. I never detected any loss of sustain.

6. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Synchromatic

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    No loss of sustain when I put one of these on my Wilshire w/ a washer. Everything was smooth as can be w/ that part and install of it.